Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 AM

23 posts, read 35,917 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can suggest some great neighborhoods/areas to check out for a small, young family. We currently own in DC proper (Petworth), and with our second child on the way, we are trying to decide between moving somewhere more spacious/affordable in the metro area, or ultimately relocating to a more affordable city altogether. We like our home pretty well, but we'd really like a yard and a little more space, and we're already priced out of upgrading in our neighborhood.

In terms of what we're seeking: a 3 or 4 BR house in the 400-650K range. Access to good schools is important--whether that's great public schools or nearby private/Montessori or charter schools. Ideally we want a place with a nice yard and a neighborhood where kids can play somewhat independently. We are liberal-minded, and value diversity and walkability; also, my husband and I both work in downtown DC and want to keep our commute below the 45 minute mark.

As far as style, we really want to be an area with some character--we really like the charm of DC neighborhoods and somewhere like Takoma Park would be our dream locale (and we haven't ruled it out) but it's gotten pretty pricey and we're curious what else is out there that is a little further off the beaten path. We really don't know the area terribly well once you pass over the DC border and it seems like it could take ages to explore/narrow it down on our own.

Many thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Takoma Park, MD is still doable on your budget. But you may also want to check out the Del Ray area of Alexandria as well.

I will admit, it is getting harder considering your budget, but still doable.

I would recommend Shepherd Park in DC as well, but I don't think there is anything there in your budget right now.

I think you can still do this without having to move too far outside of DC, and away from unique neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Bluemont and Westover in Arlington might be an area you'd like too.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 PM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
If you like Takoma Park, you'd also like Silver Spring. I think there are some older homes in the area near downtown that would fall in that price range (although I admit I don't know for certain, as I'm not in the market.)

Depending on where your offices are, the commute might be bumping up on your desired maximum, but you'd have Metro, and the buses on 16th and Georgia are frequent and reliable by DC standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC