Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:18 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
No, I don't think you did ride the DC metro. Not with the comments you made.

And you definitely have not ridden philly metro. DC metro is a much better system... it reaches two states and DC. It reaches more neighborhoods in those areas than philly metro EVER dreamed possible. Hell, if you INCLUDE heavy rail, bus, etc.... metro blows philly straight away (although, I did like your slight backpedal there). DC metro has never "left me stranded". End of the day, you can't even compare the two systems... it is silly really. (edit: and now I see you brought in ATL in the picture. Really? Keep googling transit systems and see what sticks! Why not explain how you rode the Hong Kong system daily and it is better than DC metro!)

Sorry, but I don't buy your story... not for one bit. You can sell that to your friends in NYC.
Neither WMATA nor SEPTA is particularly great, but SEPTA is definitely more reliable, even if less user-friendly or pleasant. Metro is a complete fiasco at this point and the FTA is regularly releasing reports of its ineptitude. 10 years ago, I'd say the same as you, but it's not the case anymore.

Metro is really disappointing because it has the bones to be fantastic but is run by a group of people who don't even get the faintest concept of how to run a railway network. While cities with century-old systems are converting to driverless operation, WMATA still can't figure out how to get back to the automatic operation that it was built with and used for decades. The extensive use of single-tracking rather than rail replacement buses, drivers who don't know how to platform a train properly, improper circuit and track maintenance, the list keeps going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Neither WMATA nor SEPTA is particularly great, but SEPTA is definitely more reliable, even if less user-friendly or pleasant. Metro is a complete fiasco at this point and the FTA is regularly releasing reports of its ineptitude. 10 years ago, I'd say the same as you, but it's not the case anymore.

Metro is really disappointing because it has the bones to be fantastic but is run by a group of people who don't even get the faintest concept of how to run a railway network. While cities with century-old systems are converting to driverless operation, WMATA still can't figure out how to get back to the automatic operation that it was built with and used for decades. The extensive use of single-tracking rather than rail replacement buses, drivers who don't know how to platform a train properly, improper circuit and track maintenance, the list keeps going.
I agree with a lot of this. The system itself is amazing, but its run by morons from top to bottom (not counting the new GM. He seems good).

Incompetence is Metro's #1 problem. Yet its not getting enough attention. I wish the Media would do more to highlight just how stupid people working at Metro are. Not sure if they get away with so much because of the union.

These clowns need to go.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 AM

385 posts, read 400,416 times
Quote:

And you definitely have not ridden philly metro. DC metro is a much better system... it reaches two states and DC. It reaches more neighborhoods in those areas than philly metro EVER dreamed possible. Hell, if you INCLUDE heavy rail, bus, etc.... metro blows philly straight away (although, I did like your slight backpedal there). DC metro has never "left me stranded". End of the day, you can't even compare the two systems... it is silly really. (edit: and now I see you brought in ATL in the picture. Really? Keep googling transit systems and see what sticks! Why not explain how you rode the Hong Kong system daily and it is better than DC metro!)

Sorry, but I don't buy your story... not for one bit. You can sell that to your friends in NYC.
SEPTA reaches two other states with Bus and Commuter Rail

Delaware, and New Jersey....so the point that is ?

DC Metro may have more subway lines but SEPTA makes up for it in the Commuter Rail depot.
Philly has over a dozen neighborhoods and SEPTA is RIGHT THERE. 134 SQ miles. worth.

SEPTA has upgraded the fare system , ahead of DC Metro.

SEPTA /WMATA is two totally different chains. Not saying they perfect, dont come for SEPTA when SEPTA DOES and HAVE more and then DC METRO on other levels.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,712 times
Quote:

You're just mad that WMATA sucks and you have to deal with it.
It's okay DC transplant fro Ohio, you'll fit in down there one day.

Oh wait I just looked at your profile and you live in Suitland.... lmao FOH I'm not gonna argue with some bamma that lives in the boonies and the green line SUCKS. There's nothing around Suitland metro station, nothing. You either gotta walk along big roads to get where you gotta go or rely on a bus that only operates every hour to get where you need to go. WMATA sucks bad, real bad. Do you want me to post news articles of WMATA's daily screw ups? WMATA is the phukboy of transit systems.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
You're just mad that WMATA sucks and you have to deal with it.
It's okay DC transplant fro Ohio, you'll fit in down there one day.

Oh wait I just looked at your profile and you live in Suitland.... lmao FOH I'm not gonna argue with some bamma that lives in the boonies and the green line SUCKS. There's nothing around Suitland metro station, nothing. You either gotta walk along big roads to get where you gotta go or rely on a bus that only operates every hour to get where you need to go. WMATA sucks bad, real bad. Do you want me to post news articles of WMATA's daily screw ups? WMATA is the phukboy of transit systems.
We have already addressed the problems with WMATA. They are in the process of fixing these problems. And these are nationwide infrastructure issues. Based on your over the top exaggerations about Metro.. every subway system in the U.S. "sucks" by your standards.

All the major systems in the U.S. (NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, etc.) are all having major issues right now. Line closures for maintenance is occurring all over. Its not just DC.

I honestly think you love and miss DC badly and you are crapping on DC to make yourself feel better about not living here anymore lol.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
CB, you may be missing the latest news, including a criminal investigation of the recent derailment.

If this is how they "fix" things, then we riders are screwed. How soon before another fatality?

In truth, the problem has never been the GM. It's the political structure behind metro, and the sweetheart deals cut with the metro employees union - payraises waaaay beyond inflation or what people receive in the private sector, employees that can't be fired, no accountability for job performance and so forth. Until Maryland and DC are willing to say enough (I think Virginia is already willing), nothing will change.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
CB, you may be missing the latest news, including a criminal investigation of the recent derailment.

If this is how they "fix" things, then we riders are screwed. How soon before another fatality?

In truth, the problem has never been the GM. It's the political structure behind metro, and the sweetheart deals cut with the metro employees union - payraises waaaay beyond inflation or what people receive in the private sector, employees that can't be fired, no accountability for job performance and so forth. Until Maryland and DC are willing to say enough (I think Virginia is already willing), nothing will change.
The process of "fixing things" has just started. You except instant over-night results?

Be realistic. It will take time. My point is Metro is moving in the right direction. Is it there yet? Of course not. Will it get there? I think so.

People these days have no patience. That is why the political system in general is so screwed up. People expect instant change when "new blood" or "new policies" go into effect. That's not how it works. Change is slow.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 PM

490 posts, read 649,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC's public transportation system is the 3rd best in the nation, after NYC and Chicago.
Unless you die on the metro. Or the metro floods. Or you get sprayed by shrapnel on the platform or stabbed to death over an iPhone. Or if the metro ever shows up on time (walking or driving might be a blessing).

Old 08-21-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Unless you die on the metro. Or the metro floods. Or you get sprayed by shrapnel on the platform or stabbed to death over an iPhone. Or if the metro ever shows up on time (walking or driving might be a blessing).
As if these things ONLY happen on Metro.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
We have already addressed the problems with WMATA. They are in the process of fixing these problems. And these are nationwide infrastructure issues. Based on your over the top exaggerations about Metro.. every subway system in the U.S. "sucks" by your standards.

All the major systems in the U.S. (NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, etc.) are all having major issues right now. Line closures for maintenance is occurring all over. Its not just DC.

I honestly think you love and miss DC badly and you are crapping on DC to make yourself feel better about not living here anymore lol.
While nearly every transit system in the US is suffering from underinvestment, WMATA's problems are definitely not the norm because of a combination of underinvestment, incompetence and political mishandling. No other system is seeing such a problem with spontaneous fires, derailments, automatic operation and so on to the level of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC