U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Does the prospect of Greater Washington DC-Baltimore becoming a megacity concern you?
Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me 4 11.43%
No; I see the benefits of gaining more amenities, brands, retail options, infill, services, and increased diversity as a plus to it all 24 68.57%
I don't know much about megacities and the issues presented to cities of that size 3 8.57%
Other 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM
 
84 posts, read 54,533 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
DC does have poor white people. Don't forget that a lot of these so-called "rich" yuppies are only making 35-45k and living with several roommates. I've met many of them and I work with some. Assuming every white person you see that doesn't look like trash is "rich" just shows how ingrained racism can be in some people.
There's a difference when some who makes 35-45k has a bachelors or Master degree and is a few years removed from college, which most of the people you just described are, since they have more potential for economic mobility and someone making that much who doesn't have a college degree and is usually older than early/mid 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
 
2,554 posts, read 1,514,808 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
There's a difference when some who makes 35-45k has a bachelors or Master degree and is a few years removed from college, which most of the people you just described are, since they have more potential for economic mobility and someone making that much who doesn't have a college degree and is usually older than early/mid 20s.
Good point and very true. Can't really argue with that.

However, some of them have so much student loan debt that they might actually be better off without a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:24 AM
 
116 posts, read 76,699 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
DC is a soft white people mecca like Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area. It has an economy built on Gov't. The city was a backwater, small, southern city up until a few decades ago. Most people are type-A personality and bougie, even in the hood. DC has a huge upper middle-upper class population thats taking over the city by storm. Poverty still exists but not on the scale of Baltimore. DC is overall a clean, beautiful city, but bland at the same time.

Baltimore is a different animal. It's much more of a true border town than DC is. It favors it's northeastern neighbors more than DC does too. Post industrial, tough attitudes from all races and backgrounds, grit, still a heavy blue collar presence. Baltimore has wealth but not nearly on the scale of DC, its more of a middle and working class city with a huge poverty problem. Baltimore is a real city, DC is not.


Both cities have a level of pride that will not allow them to become one MSA. The politics won't allow it lol..
Baltimore has more in common with Philly than DC, though Philly is a little over twice the distance of DC.
I had a white middle school teacher that grew up in Anacostia......SE was white, Georgetown and Dupont Circle was black.....The whites in Southeast were definitely poor working class...Same with black people in DC....What you see now is recent. .....Learn some history. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 02:17 PM
 
999 posts, read 946,586 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrom73 View Post
I had a white middle school teacher that grew up in Anacostia......SE was white, Georgetown and Dupont Circle was black.....The whites in Southeast were definitely poor working class...Same with black people in DC....What you see now is recent. .....Learn some history. ..
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM
 
10,546 posts, read 16,185,622 times
Reputation: 4976
The DC I grew up in (1970s/early 1980s) was more akin to a state capital such as Albany or Sacramento. A small city with the requisite burbs and the farm/rural landscape pretty close by on all sides.

That place is gone forever.

DC now resembles places like Atlanta or Dallas. In short, it is a sunbelt sprawl with a Northeast attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 PM
 
Location: east coast
2,777 posts, read 2,027,253 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
DC is a soft white people mecca like Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area. It has an economy built on Gov't. The city was a backwater, small, southern city up until a few decades ago. Most people are type-A personality and bougie, even in the hood. DC has a huge upper middle-upper class population thats taking over the city by storm. Poverty still exists but not on the scale of Baltimore. DC is overall a clean, beautiful city, but bland at the same time.

Baltimore is a different animal. It's much more of a true border town than DC is. It favors it's northeastern neighbors more than DC does too. Post industrial, tough attitudes from all races and backgrounds, grit, still a heavy blue collar presence. Baltimore has wealth but not nearly on the scale of DC, its more of a middle and working class city with a huge poverty problem. Baltimore is a real city, DC is not.


Both cities have a level of pride that will not allow them to become one MSA. The politics won't allow it lol..
Baltimore has more in common with Philly than DC, though Philly is a little over twice the distance of DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
DC isn't majority black anymore and will be majority white in about another 10 years guaranteed lol..

DC is a soft white people mecca and that's not up for debate, the vast majority of white people in DC are wayyy softer than white people in NYC, Philly, Boston, and even Baltimore. A bunch of white collar nerds that grew up in suburbia or out in the country. Black people go hard in any hood in any city, being black in America is tough. There are parts of NYC that are definitely worst than DC, especially up here in the Bronx.
Baltimore developed organically from the jump. DC was a planned town that was organized to be the seat of the US gov't. Baltimore has poor white people, DC is probably the ONLY city in the whole country that doesn't, it creates a false perception of reality for those who never leave the DC area. You'll grow up thinking that all white people are affluent and if you in to the hoods of DC and talk to residents, both adults and kids, you will see what I'm talking about.
Just for the record, this isn't me posting lol.

Although, we share very similar mindsets about this subject matter and I have said many of what nonsence has said myself in the past. However, I do believe DC is a real city but as any city, serves its own purpose and mission. But let's keep in mind that DC is a centralized bubble and doesn't share the energies of any nearby cities. All up and down the east coast, radio, businesses, certain market affiliates run through these cities but skips out on DC. DC/MD/NOVA are all interconnected but not in the way of other major tri-state hubs with energies flowing through in and out. DC will certainly grow into its own, provided by the structures that are already laid out for its mission- the reason for the bougie/intellectual class.

However, this is a huge one, in 2050, we do not know what will come about. We have entered a world by which we cannot predict the outcome of infrastructures within a city. Google, Facebook, and Amazon are all monopolizing the system as we know it as we never anticipated this. One can only imagine how a 2050 will look like, let alone worrying about the latest Michael Kors, Elizabeth Charles, and Versace stores that may or may not exist given the latest retail drone technologies.

Also, the dynamics that surround Dallas/Fort Worth can't even be compared to any city on the east coast, much less a "northern culture". The cultural makeup of a Baltimore, Philly, NJ, NYC, and multiple northeast tri-state sectors can't be compared- at all to any other region.

I will say this though, if anything, that Baltimore can and may ultimately be a southern "northeast" hub of entertainment but still remain far distinct and culturally different from DC. Provided that Baltimore was in better shape, the upcoming GM casino would have been better suited in Baltimore than the national harbor because of the crossed energies that flow between NY/NJ/Philly, and into B-more. This is most due to the post industrial cultural similarities and heavy blue collar presence as nonsence as pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,012 posts, read 2,635,388 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Just for the record, this isn't me posting lol.

I will say this though, if anything, that Baltimore can and may ultimately be a southern "northeast" hub of entertainment but still remain far distinct and culturally different from DC. Provided that Baltimore was in better shape, the upcoming GM casino would have been better suited in Baltimore than the national harbor because of the crossed energies that flow between NY/NJ/Philly, and into B-more. This is most due to the post industrial cultural similarities and heavy blue collar presence as nonsence as pointed out.
A blue collar area would not support a "glitz and glamour like casino ala MGM" look at AC. Baltimore would tear the place apart before it even opened. MGM opened in the immediate DC suburbs because that's where the money is. Building casinos in blue collar areas is treading water lightly. MGM is building a smaller scaled casino almost simultaneously in Springfield, MA, but ask the GM of the company where their true money maker/investment/focus is on the East Coast...DC/NH right off I-95 made perfect sense.

DC is its own major center of influence with the country's wealthiest suburbs and does not leach off the cities to its north, Baltimore not as much. The model of what MGM is doing at NH is now influencing cities like Atlanta to do the same with a high level casino there as well. Baltimore does not fit the mold of a city to have that level of an entertainment destination, hence you get the Horseshoe.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-02-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
674 posts, read 637,834 times
Reputation: 536
Threads like this always turn into people from the capital acting like...And my reaction is like someone from district 12...


Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 08-02-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 AM
 
39 posts, read 21,864 times
Reputation: 53
Honestly, the thought of being a Megacity makes me nervous. I woke up at 2AM in a cold sweat last night - the thought of a Megacity enveloping & suffocating me is just horrible! If they could only cut off the population just before the area becomes a Megacity, that would be a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 AM
 
Location: east coast
2,777 posts, read 2,027,253 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
A blue collar area would not support a "glitz and glamour like casino ala MGM" look at AC. Baltimore would tear the place apart before it even opened. MGM opened in the immediate DC suburbs because that's where the money is. Building casinos in blue collar areas is treading water lightly. MGM is building a smaller scaled casino almost simultaneously in Springfield, MA, but ask the GM of the company where their true money maker/investment/focus is on the East Coast...DC/NH right off I-95 made perfect sense.

DC is its own major center of influence with the country's wealthiest suburbs and does not leach off the cities to its north, Baltimore not as much. The model of what MGM is doing at NH is now influencing cities like Atlanta to do the same with a high level casino there as well. Baltimore does not fit the mold of a city to have that level of an entertainment destination, hence you get the Horseshoe.
Which is why I said if Baltimore were to be in "better shape". In Atlanta, you get cross energies and influence from all those lower half states like Alabama, Florida and the Carolinas. Why do you think Atlanta is booming? This is the reason why Atlantic city failed because it did not build the entertainment value of the city and region around it to compliment the casinos. Vegas works because of all the cross energies of texas and all of California. Not only rich folks live in that region...

My main point is not that MGM at NH is a bad idea. On the contrary, it will work but remain centralized to influence mostly the immediate area. Baltimore would have been a better hub for the region's entertainment value as a whole due to the cross state energies and cultural diversity, not only ethnic diversity. But again, given if it were better developed. This region is monocultural but ethnically diverse.

We are saying the same thing, I just said before you did

Last edited by halfamazing; 08-07-2016 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top