U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 PM

57 posts, read 24,197 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

What are some areas or 'hoods in DC that you'd recommend for someone who wants to walk around and do street photography? Plainly speaking, can you recommend good neighborhoods with adequate foot traffic, interesting scenery,people, homes etc. ? I want to see what the locals see. Also, whats the best local coffee shop in DC?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,010,323 times
This depends. How broad a group do you want to photograph.

The line between touristy and non-touristy is thin in DC no matter where one is. Please realize that will always be the case. Adams Morgan, Gallery Place, and U St are both kind of tourist traps in their own right even though they are also frequented by people who live in the city.

In the city lower risk:
Columbia Heights, Mt. Pleasant, Adams Morgan, U St., Petworth, Takoma, Glover Park, Capital Hill/Barracks Row, Shaw, Gallery Place, Brookland - Some of these are less than others, gentrification is in some stage in all of these communities. Columbia Heights probably represents the best cross section of the city, both new and old. All of them have their own vibe.

In the city high risk: Anacostia - East of the river neighborhood. Has more of the vibe of DC pre-gentrification. Old DC.

In the suburbs:
downtown Silver Spring, MD- People from lots of different cultures and backgrounds. Large ethopian population, festivals all the time during the warmer months.
Takoma Park, MD- weird houses, people paint them unusual colors, have outdoor art, etc. Quirky small town next to a city in some ways. Right next to Takoma, DC.
Del Ray Alexandria, VA - Like Takoma Park, but in Virginia
Old Town Alexandria, VA

Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM

2,554 posts, read 1,514,808 times
Here are some more inside DC:

H Street
14th Street (North of N Street)
Waterfront (not the Wharf though)
Cleveland Park
Rhode Island Avenue (near the Metro station with the same name)
NoMa

Old 08-20-2016, 05:38 AM

2,302 posts, read 953,916 times
Don't forget Georgetown, and any of the metro stops along the Red line in NW DC. You could go to Friendship Heights, for example, then walk SE from there through beautiful neighborhoods. For instance, Harrison St. and its neighbor Garrison streets are lined with stately urban homes and make a beautiful walk between Wisconsin and Connecticut Avenues.

Another classic walk could be a walk up Connecticut Avenue from Woodley Park/zoo metro stop to the Maryland border about 3 miles away. It's a grand walk on a boulevard with wide sidewalks and a wide curb strip that reminds me of Europe, with its grand pre-war apartment buildings and neighborhoods.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Thank you so much for the responses.

I am definitely intrigued by the idea of walking through neighborhoods rather than commercial corridors. I think Georgetown will be a great place to check out

Old 08-20-2016, 04:38 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,664,462 times
Georgetown is one of the most touristy parts of DC.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM

2,554 posts, read 1,514,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Yep. Georgetown and Chinatown are almost on the same level as the National Mall.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:52 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,350,270 times
Shaw (9th street specifically), Bloomingdale, and Capitol Hill fit the bill I think. I also love Lanier Heights and Mount Pleasant but foot traffic isn't as high there.

Of course it all depends on what kind of architecture you like.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
in that case I guess I'll avoid

Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 AM

2,302 posts, read 953,916 times
Georgetown? Depends on where you go. M street is the heart of touristy. Walking the canal is wonderful, however, and north of M street on the neighborhood's local streets is delightful. You move back two centuries in ambience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or