Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:28 PM

733 posts, read 1,100,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The people shopping at any major retail district in any city across the country is comprised of 99.9999999% of people who do not live above it or near it. Downtown retail in every city is marketed towards tourists and people from around the region.
After shopping at City Center for as much as I have (which is a lot) and spending time in the plaza for as long as I have, it is obvious that City Center's draw is region-wide as well as with tourists, especially international tourists. I have seen so many people driving cars with VA license plates coming to shop at City Center, and I have seen so many international tourists taking selfies and enjoying themselves in the plaza.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-05-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,006,739 times
Is parking there a breeze? Could it be the VA plates are people lingering in the city after work, rather than commuting INTO DC just for shopping?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Is parking there a breeze? Could it be the VA plates are people lingering in the city after work, rather than commuting INTO DC just for shopping?
Yes, parking there is a breeze. There is a 750-space public parking garage underneath.

I'm seeing the VA license plates on weekends.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:39 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,599,663 times
Quote:
Many stores at City Center are only located at City Center DC in the entire region. Tyson's does not have many of the stores opening up at City Center DC and that is also the case for the next phases that are coming.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM

209 posts, read 232,482 times
This is the phase II: DC's Conrad hotel breaks ground, Chef Bryan Voltaggio is on board | WTOP

Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,006,739 times
That is so beautiful. Prior to that, there was no serious retail center for middle class, everyday shopping (shoes, casual wear, etc. without paying a small fortune for a logo) in the District, right? Wisconsin Avenue, maybe?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
That is so beautiful. Prior to that, there was no serious retail center for middle class, everyday shopping (shoes, casual wear, etc. without paying a small fortune for a logo) in the District, right? Wisconsin Avenue, maybe?
I don't think that's quite right.

DC USA shopping center in Columbia Heights has the following everyday shopping stores for the middle class that existed prior to City Center:

- Target (discount retailer)
- DSW (shoes)
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond (home goods)
- Best Buy (electronics)
- Mattress Discounters (beds)
- Marshalls (discount clothing)
- Petco (pet supplies)
- Payless (discount shoe store)

Penn Quarter in downtown DC has the following everyday shopping stores for the middle class:

- Macy's (large department store)
- Zara
- Forever 21
- Urban Outfitters
- H&M
- Gap
- J Crew
- Radio Shack
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond
- American Apparel
- TJ Maxx
- Banana Republic
- Dress Barn
- Marshalls
- Nordstrom Rack (coming soon)
- Sacks Off 5th (coming soon)

You need not have to pay a small fortune to shop in any of the above stores.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,859,862 times
Quote:
Many stores at City Center are only located at City Center DC in the entire region. Tyson's does not have many of the stores opening up at City Center DC and that is also the case for the next phases that are coming.
[url]https://www.tysonsgalleria.com/en.html[/url] has a lot of those stores but its a driving destination in an indoor mall. I'm always hearing how its on the verge of closing. I think having the higher-end stores in an outdoor walkable urbane/central area will help a lot. And possibly nail the coffin of Galleria--which would be ok by me.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,022 posts, read 7,411,957 times
Quote:
Not entirely true, I believe the only upper upper high end that is not currently in Tysons but at CCDC is Hermes. I know Zadig & Voltaire is new to the whole region and currently only at CC. Tysons I also has Uniqlo opening next month, again not at CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
https://www.tysonsgalleria.com/en.html has a lot of those stores but its a driving destination in an indoor mall. I'm always hearing how its on the verge of closing. I think having the higher-end stores in an outdoor walkable urbane/central area will help a lot. And possibly nail the coffin of Galleria--which would be ok by me.
Verge of closing? I thought Tysons Galleria was undergoing expansion? Make no mistake take Tysons will remain the premier shopping destination overall. (It gets as many visitors as Disney World) Not everyone is a millienial nor does everyone want to take transit to go downtown to shop. It's just better to have the urban walk up option available for those who are NOT suburbanites by nature and actually want to experience "city shopping."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...sons-mall.html

I'm really just referring to Tysons vs CCDC, not some of the other suburban enclosed mall failures.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-07-2016 at 12:36 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,278,335 times
Quote:
The people shopping at any major retail district in any city across the country is comprised of 99.9999999% of people who do not live above it or near it. Downtown retail in every city is marketed towards tourists and people from around the region.
This isn't most of the country; trying to make an analogy to a suburban shopping complex is flawed because they're fundamentally different. Mobility and access are much tougher, so there needs to be a higher critical mass of residents to sustain demand. Office inherently doesn't cover this fully because it's limited to relatively set weekday hours. No truly dynamic downtown in the US has as few residents as DC and that structural issue needs to be addressed. Weekends are a lost cause in many ways without it.

DC also has a glut of office as it is; I get that it's easier for financing purposes but it's frustrating to have another glass box that will be empty for more than 2/7 of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC