U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:30 PM

624 posts, read 712,772 times

Advertisements

I took a random video, earlier this evening, of pedestrian activity at City Center DC. Check it out:

Sorry, in advance, for the choppy video playback. Photo bucket may not be the right place to show this.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-03-2016 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 AM

9,484 posts, read 10,747,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I took a random video, earlier this evening, of pedestrian activity at City Center DC. Check it out:

Sorry, in advance, for the choppy video playback. Photo bucket may not be the right place to show this.
Looks like it may finally be starting to come into its own. When Phase II and III are done, I believe it will be a major destination.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:03 AM

15,347 posts, read 17,810,760 times
How are the shopping and restaurants there?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 AM

When I have been in the neighborhood or walking by numerous times over the past six months, these restaurants are usually packed with plenty of diners:

- DBGB
- Fig and Olive
- Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse
- Momofuku

The restaurants that I really like in City Center:

- Fig and Olive. I've been there 3 times over the past year, and I really like the vibe of the place, the bar area (if you just want drinks), and the food is good too

- Centrolina Market and Restaurant. The market portion of this place is a gem. You can get authentic Italian pasta, house made sauces, and everyday grocery staples. I've eaten at the restaurant portion of this place once and had a great meal there.

As for bakeries, Rare Sweets is a gem. Their bakery items (cookies and cakes) are really good.

Last week when I walked by, Fruitive was busy. Dolcezza stays busy.

As for shopping, the places I visit the most are Hugo Boss and Zadig & Voltaire. I like the Hugo Boss store at City Center better than the one at Tysons, which I think is more conservative.

The Tumi store seems to do brisk business. The last time I was in that store, there were six other shoppers in there at the same time (the store is tiny).

I've been in the Dior store. What a beautiful store, inside and outside. They don't carry mens items though.

Basically, City Center has taken away stores from Chevy Chase, MD. Gucci and Dior both closed their Chevy Chase stores when they opened in City Center. I heard a few more Chevy Chase stores will close once they open in City Center.

Also, Hermes closed their Tysons store when it opened in City Center.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-04-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Looks like it may finally be starting to come into its own. When Phase II and III are done, I believe it will be a major destination.
I agree.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:22 PM

2,768 posts, read 2,452,530 times
Lol Fig & Olive...

First, that name is synonomous with salmonella and terrible reviews on Yelp to begin with.

Second, the Salmonella outbreak proves they are charging you $30 for a microwaved meal.

Who are the idiots eating here? Dont answer, cuz I already know.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Lol Fig & Olive...

First, that name is synonomous with salmonella and terrible reviews on Yelp to begin with.

Second, the Salmonella outbreak proves they are charging you $30 for a microwaved meal.

Who are the idiots eating here? Dont answer, cuz I already know.
No, I'll answer.

I am aware of that. I ate there before that, and I was willing to give the place a second chance, which I did. I liked it before, and I liked it after.

The restaurant's Yelp rating overall is 3.5 stars out of 5, On Google reviews, it gets 4 out of 5, on Open Table it gets 4.4 out of 5, and Trip Advisor gives it 4 out of 5.

Idiots? Whatever.

The place is always packed with diners and people at the bar. Deal.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-04-2016 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 10:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,883,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm less optimistic. Residential is more of a necessity for destination and distribution of activity throughout the day and into weekends than the 500,000 square feet of office proposed for phase 3.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I'm less optimistic. Residential is more of a necessity for destination and distribution of activity throughout the day and into weekends than the 500,000 square feet of office proposed for phase 3.
The place is already more busy with pedestrian activity during the evenings and weekends, which is why I posted a video (can't be more evident than that) of evening pedestrian activity in my original post.

City Center has 670 residential units already, in 4 buildings. Even with phase 3 being office, there will be more retail space coming with that phase, which will bring more restaurant/bar activity and other uses (which would be open when the office is closed).

And, right next door to the City Center complex, the "Techworld" complex is getting a major renovation and rebranding into Anthem Row. That repositioning will bring yet another active pedestrian promenade lined with retail space, which will deliver in early 2018. I think Anthem Row will tie in well to City Center and expand downtown DC's active pedestrian/retail footprint.

http://www.streetsense.com/wp-conten...ook_160829.pdf

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...coming-to.html

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-05-2016 at 12:13 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 09:40 AM

9,484 posts, read 10,747,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
The people shopping at any major retail district in any city across the country is comprised of 99.9999999% of people who do not live above it or near it. Downtown retail in every city is marketed towards tourists and people from around the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC