Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
DC is larger than Paris. Therefore, Paris is not a "megacity" like New York. Not even close.
Oh stop. DC will never be a megacity. The government won't allow this. Hell, DC is smaller than Baltimore. DC is not that big of a city. Paris has always been a megacity.

Last edited by PurpleHaze1100; 10-26-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 PM

741 posts, read 1,111,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Oh stop. DC will never be a megacity. The governemnt won't allow this. Hell, DC is smaller than Baltimore. DC is not that big of a city. Paris has always been a megacity.
DC is smaller than Baltimore in land area but bigger than Baltimore in population (which will likely balloon to 100,000+ persons bigger by 2020).

Paris has not always been what it is today (it is 2,000 years old and has had a long time to work on what it is today), just like DC will not always be what it is today (it is just 226 years old). DC has a lot of change/development left and history to make in its future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
No doubt DC is growing. But, I can't imagine at no time in the forseable future will DC ever have the density of population/activites as you find in the heart of the bigger European capitals.
No doubt, but those bigger European capitals have had a long period of time (thousands of years!) to become what they are today. Even some of the major cities in the northeast US have had between 350 to 400 years to become what they are today, which is a lot longer than DC has been around.

DC is a young city. I think that perspective should be a part of this discussion.

Last edited by revitalizer; 10-26-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 07:06 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
DC is a young city. I think that perspective should be a part of this discussion.
Very true. DC and its metro area are pretty affluent with lots of luxury hotels and now Michelin-starred restaurants. It is poised to become even larger and more influential in the coming years.

I expect it to hit the 10 million mark (MSA) in a couple of decades.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post

No doubt, but those bigger European capitals have had a long period of time (thousands of years!) to become what they are today. Even some of the major cities in the northeast US have had between 350 to 400 years to become what they are today, which is a lot longer than DC has been around.

Very good point.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Oh stop. DC will never be a megacity. The government won't allow this. Hell, DC is smaller than Baltimore. DC is not that big of a city. Paris has always been a megacity.
Paris is smaller than DC.

Sorry you are allergic to facts.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Paris is smaller than DC.

Sorry you are allergic to facts.

Sorry, I'm not sure where you are going with this argument. Yes, DC's municipal boundries are bigger than Paris, just as Lexington, KY or Toldo, OH is bigger than DC. I think the point people are making is that in practice the size and density of the urban core matters more than the office boundries of the city.

Do you dissagree with the proposition than Paris is far livelier and has a greater supply of restaurants, theaters, stores, active civic spaces than DC?

Old 10-27-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not sure where you are going with this argument. Yes, DC's municipal boundries are bigger than Paris, just as Lexington, KY or Toldo, OH is bigger than DC. I think the point people are making is that in practice the size and density of the urban core matters more than the office boundries of the city.

Do you dissagree with the proposition than Paris is far livelier and has a greater supply of restaurants, theaters, stores, active civic spaces than DC?
I'm actually not making an argument. I am just stepping in when people say things that are factually incorrect. Things like "Paris is larger than DC". That is false.

If you want to say Paris has a denser, more vibrant and livelier urban core than DC.. that's fine.

NYC and LA are good examples. LA has a larger land mass, but NYC is more dense with a larger population. Even still.. you don't go around saying "NYC is bigger than LA" because that is simply false.

I'm just being the fact police.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:54 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
I'm actually not making an argument. I am just stepping in when people say things that are factually incorrect. Things like "Paris is larger than DC". That is false.

If you want to say Paris has a denser, more vibrant and livelier urban core than DC.. that's fine.

NYC and LA are good examples. LA has a larger land mass, but NYC is more dense with a larger population. Even still.. you don't go around saying "NYC is bigger than LA" because that is simply false.

I'm just being the fact police.
Ok, I see your point. But, I think if you asked people what is the biggest city in the US. I'm pretty sure 80-90% of people would use population and say "NYC is the biggest city in the US."

Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see your point. But, I think if you asked people what is the biggest city in the US. I'm pretty sure 80-90% of people would use population and say "NYC is the biggest city in the US."
And 80-90% of people would be wrong.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 AM

126 posts, read 117,480 times
Interesting read that's somewhat relevant to this topic.
Why European Cities Still Have More Dense Development - CityLab

Btw Sitka, Alaska by Chris Brownz definitation is the biggest city in the US or Jacksonville, FL if we're referring to cities with a sizable population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC