Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:45 AM

209 posts, read 234,648 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the post the other day and wanted to know what you guys think. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b5d_story.html

If so what do you guys think of the area and what do you think it will be in 5-10 yrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 AM

118 posts, read 113,510 times
I moved into Navy Yard in 2012 and it's been incredible watching all the development.

You might also be interested in this recent article (January 2016):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...-neighborhood/

And if you want a crazy detailed chronology of development there's this website: JDLand.com: Near Southeast DC Redevelopment

In 5-10 years I think it will be built out to the point that it will feel like an established neighborhood and any additional developments will be incremental. I think given the scale and proximity of the SW Marina development (and DC United Stadium) it's worth considering the space from 8th Street SE to the Marina when thinking 5-10 years out. In real day-to-day terms, I can say the two areas already have a real connection. We went to the SW Safeway until the Navy Yard Harris Teeter opened, we would Bikeshare over to Kastles matches and my closest friend is in SW (and we met because of the proximity). So 10 years from now I think Navy Yard and SW will be largely built out and will be a fantastic part of the city. And for the waterfront specifically 10 years from now, from the Marina to Yards Park will be a real destination. There might be some quieter sections between, but not enough to make them feel separated.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:18 PM

209 posts, read 234,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
I moved into Navy Yard in 2012 and it's been incredible watching all the development.

You might also be interested in this recent article (January 2016):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...-neighborhood/

And if you want a crazy detailed chronology of development there's this website: JDLand.com: Near Southeast DC Redevelopment

In 5-10 years I think it will be built out to the point that it will feel like an established neighborhood and any additional developments will be incremental. I think given the scale and proximity of the SW Marina development (and DC United Stadium) it's worth considering the space from 8th Street SE to the Marina when thinking 5-10 years out. In real day-to-day terms, I can say the two areas already have a real connection. We went to the SW Safeway until the Navy Yard Harris Teeter opened, we would Bikeshare over to Kastles matches and my closest friend is in SW (and we met because of the proximity). So 10 years from now I think Navy Yard and SW will be largely built out and will be a fantastic part of the city. And for the waterfront specifically 10 years from now, from the Marina to Yards Park will be a real destination. There might be some quieter sections between, but not enough to make them feel separated.
Very cool. It will truly be a neighborhood to see.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:28 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,707,372 times
One of the most impressive transformations in the country. Yards Park was particularly well done.

To think what it might become, I would look to SoMA/AT&T Park neighborhood in San Francisco. With NAB, DoT, other major DC employers coming in, turning into a major extension of downtown.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,277,721 times
Great thread, easily the most rapidly developing neighbrhood from a residential perspective. It is clearly a "development" sucess story. Lots u/c or completed. But, I still think it has a ways to go before it feels like a more complete neighborhood?

I think it will turn out pretty well with the park and the water. It just needs some more time to fill in some empty lots.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
I saw this in the post the other day and wanted to know what you guys think. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b5d_story.html

If so what do you guys think of the area and what do you think it will be in 5-10 yrs?

I lived in Navy Yard for 4 years until recently. For me, it got old pretty quick. The restaurants are very boring and it has attracted "Hill" people who are generally unfriendly and snotty. I couldn't wait to get out of there and don't regret it one bit. I go back and visit friends about once a month but I don't like what it has become. Cookie cutter people, restaurants, and vibe.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,312 times
This type of development is why I love DC. This place never gets boring. Once you've experienced the entire city.. it reinvents itself for you to experience it again in a different way.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Some people complain about everything. Plow under the gardens at Versailles. The Navy Yard waterfront area has been well done and has bright future. The river cleanup will proceed and the area will become more and more desirable.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM

857 posts, read 1,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I lived in Navy Yard for 4 years until recently. For me, it got old pretty quick. The restaurants are very boring and it has attracted "Hill" people who are generally unfriendly and snotty. I couldn't wait to get out of there and don't regret it one bit. I go back and visit friends about once a month but I don't like what it has become. Cookie cutter people, restaurants, and vibe.
most of DC is about to be like this.......this is what gentrification ultimately produces.....but this is what many at this board wants so......u reap what u sow *shrugs*

Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
most of DC is about to be like this.......this is what gentrification ultimately produces.....but this is what many at this board wants so......u reap what u sow *shrugs*
Lol...this comment following Michelin, Bon Apetit, and Zagat is comical. But, the great thing for you is there are still, for now, plenty of Chinese carryouts across the river for you to enjoy since you miss that sort of thing. Also, I'm sure you can find some drugs and voilence to keep you busy too. Have fun while you can because people with money and education are moving across the river now too so there will soon be more than one grocery store in Ward 7 and Ward 8 and a few sit down restaurants too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC