Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times

Advertisements

people on this board talk alot about the sections of NE and SE east of the anacostia (esp in the developer threads) but something in my gut tells me few of you (esp you self proclaimed experts on DC) have actually been on that side of town.....sooooo.....

How many people here (esp you johnny come lately transplants and so called experts whove never been east of bladensburg road) have actually gone east of the river???? Im talking deanwood, anacostia, congress heights.......east capitol st minnesota ave MLK Ave suitland pkwy good hope rd naylor road Burroughs ave southern ave wheeler rd malcolm x ave benning road.......simple city barry farms 3rd world congress park......well yall get the idea....
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
I've been east of the river several times.

As recent as a month ago. Minnesota avenue area looks like its trying to gentrify.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I've been east of the river several times.

As recent as a month ago. Minnesota avenue area looks like its trying to gentrify.

youre right. i know the area youre talking about too.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 AM

673 posts, read 1,187,492 times
Benning Road corridor EOR is definately starting to gentify. The whole Stanton Road and Suitland Parkway, Alabama Ave, And Southern Ave is declining badly. Alot of PCP drug activity takes place in these areas and gang activity especially Southern Ave! But Benning Road is definately improving as well as Minnesota, and Kenilworth.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
people on this board talk alot about the sections of NE and SE east of the anacostia (esp in the developer threads) but something in my gut tells me few of you (esp you self proclaimed experts on DC) have actually been on that side of town.....sooooo.....

How many people here (esp you johnny come lately transplants and so called experts whove never been east of bladensburg road) have actually gone east of the river???? Im talking deanwood, anacostia, congress heights.......east capitol st minnesota ave MLK Ave suitland pkwy good hope rd naylor road Burroughs ave southern ave wheeler rd malcolm x ave benning road.......simple city barry farms 3rd world congress park......well yall get the idea....
I live in Ward 7 in NE east of the river. Do you live in the city? If so, which part?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:51 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Benning Road corridor EOR is definately starting to gentify. The whole Stanton Road and Suitland Parkway, Alabama Ave, And Southern Ave is declining badly. Alot of PCP drug activity takes place in these areas and gang activity especially Southern Ave! But Benning Road is definately improving as well as Minnesota, and Kenilworth.
Redevelopment always happens as spill over. Ward 7 is going to continue spilling over from Parkside and Benning Rd development moving forward. Ward 8 will spillover from Anacostia and St. Elizabeth development moving forward. One thing to keep in mind is that the people with disposable income moving to Wards 7 and 8 are primarily African American. You aren't seeing white people in large numbers buying houses like young black professionals are. Myself and a ton of my friends have bought in Ward 7 and Ward 8 in the last two years, however, the equilibrium is approaching in these wards where you will no longer be able to buy unless you have two incomes soon.

Turn-key homes at 1200 sq. feet in Ward 7 and Ward 8 will start at $400,000 in the next 2 years making it very difficult to buy without two incomes. At that point, you will really start to see the area's change fast. Rents will rise and retail will begin to be viable. Once rents rise about 25%, the ability to build market rate buildings will be viable without Low Income Housing Tax Credit equity. Currently, rents are too low to turn a profit based on construction cost and acquisition on commercial residential properties. Buildings over 5 stories are subject to commercial labor rates which creates a large gap in funding for a market rate building in Ward 7 and Ward 8 without some form of subsidy.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I live in Ward 7 in NE east of the river. Do you live in the city? If so, which part?

used to. Ward 5. N Capitol and rhode Island ave (back when gentrification had JUST STARTED in the area) and I lived on rhode Island and Franklin in NE.

Ive been all over those areas east of the river. Briefly dated someone on Stanton and Pomeroy in SE. Sometimes I hit up Caribbean citations in anacostia for jamaican beef patties. 1/2 of deanwood looks like some town deep in the south somewhere. Benning road south of east capitol doesnt look much different. neither does southern ave. MLK has a bike lane. lol

Old 10-24-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:

alabama ave has seen some development in recent years....

Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I work in a fire house in that area and Kenilworth is still a huge problem area. Minnesota Ave is pretty bad as well. It's a commercial street so most of the violent crime is a few blocks off, but it's still there.

New buildings are going up, but it's the same people living in them. In my opinion, it's going to be quite awhile before gentrification happens around there. It's unfortunate because I think Anacostia(around MLK) is one of the most beautiful parts of the city.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:10 AM

673 posts, read 1,187,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I work in a fire house in that area and Kenilworth is still a huge problem area. Minnesota Ave is pretty bad as well. It's a commercial street so most of the violent crime is a few blocks off, but it's still there.

New buildings are going up, but it's the same people living in them. In my opinion, it's going to be quite awhile before gentrification happens around there. It's unfortunate because I think Anacostia(around MLK) is one of the most beautiful parts of the city.
Your right all the areas are still downright horrible. but it seems those areas are prone to development more so than southern Ave, Stanton Road area. They recentlt built a new mixed use apartment development at Benning and Minnesota intersection by the Metro. I agree these areas will most likely continue to decline. I'd never move there lol, due to the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC