Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,296 times

Advertisements

Hello. Looking for some assistance here....I'm working on possibly finalizing a job opportunity in the DC area which would require me to relocate there from FL. The job is based in Herndon VA and possible 2x week in a DC office (Wisconsin Ave NW). I am a single professional black female (low 30's) and want to be in a diverse area that's not sketchy. Looking for an area that would be good to meet friends, date, eat, socialize, etc. From my brief research, it seems like the areas that are between the two won't fit my preference (mostly families, not diverse). Any suggestions? I was trying to limit my commute but will drive from DC area to Herndon if it means the difference between me having a social life or not. On the other hand, if the full commute is truly insane, I'd rethink.

Rent in the low 1000's would be fine for apartment or condo style living with no roommates, washer/dryer, close metro is nice but not mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 03:51 AM

13,364 posts, read 26,950,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzydez View Post
Rent in the low 1000's would be fine for apartment or condo style living with no roommates, washer/dryer, close metro is nice but not mandatory.
Falls Church or Arlington would be suitable, but you might only get a studio at about $1300. One bedrooms start about $1500, not always with washer or dryer. South Arlington is the more diverse area. Many of the singles will be military folks. (BTW, the laundry room is a good place to meet people, so don't rule out apartments without the W/D.)

The commute would not be insane, but the two days in Georgetown would be difficult unless they pay for your parking.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 AM

9,866 posts, read 14,077,806 times
Let me guess, Fannie Mae? Please note, the DC location (Wisconsin Ave) will be moving downtown in 2018. I recommend Arlington, Falls Church, or even DC, and doing the reverse commute most of the time. Reston Town Center could also be an option, as it would be a close commute to Herndon, and you could take the Metro to the DC office (once it relocates.)

Edit - Just saw your rent limit. You will need to get roommates. Everyone does it here, and it is a great way to make friends.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Falls Church or Arlington would be suitable, but you might only get a studio at about $1300. One bedrooms start about $1500, not always with washer or dryer. South Arlington is the more diverse area. Many of the singles will be military folks. (BTW, the laundry room is a good place to meet people, so don't rule out apartments without the W/D.)

The commute would not be insane, but the two days in Georgetown would be difficult unless they pay for your parking.
Thank you! From my online search Arlington didn't seem diverse but that was where I was thinking mostly due to the location. Good tip on the laundry room! I'm so used to having my own, I guess I didn't think of it that way. I am open to that as long as it is in the building and not a mini-commute to get to a dedicated laundry mat.

Good tip on the parking too! I will have to ask them if they will pay. Do you know around how much parking would cost?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Let me guess, Fannie Mae? Please note, the DC location (Wisconsin Ave) will be moving downtown in 2018. I recommend Arlington, Falls Church, or even DC, and doing the reverse commute most of the time. Reston Town Center could also be an option, as it would be a close commute to Herndon, and you could take the Metro to the DC office (once it relocates.)

Edit - Just saw your rent limit. You will need to get roommates. Everyone does it here, and it is a great way to make friends.
Yes, Fannie Mae. Does it have any reputation that I should know about? (more-so DC specific than regular news). Thank you for the tip. I have another follow up interview next week and will raise some of the points about the office location move.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:33 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,520,756 times
Alexandria probably has the best social scene for young african americans. Literally, you probably couldnt haven chosen two worse areas for a young black social scene. Between NW DC and Herndon, there are extremely few blacks. Most are concentrated along I-395/95 (South Arlington, Alexandria, Springfield, Lorton, Woodbridge, etc)

Old 11-03-2016, 01:42 PM

13,364 posts, read 26,950,535 times
Quote:
Yes, Fannie Mae. Does it have any reputation that I should know about? (more-so DC specific than regular news). Thank you for the tip. I have another follow up interview next week and will raise some of the points about the office location move.
I hope you are interviewing for a permanent job. If it is an IT contracting job, they have had a revolving door of firms as priorities change. My husband worked for them only a short time in the 1990's in Reston.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Alexandria probably has the best social scene for young african americans. Literally, you probably couldnt haven chosen two worse areas for a young black social scene. Between NW DC and Herndon, there are extremely few blacks. Most are concentrated along I-395/95 (South Arlington, Alexandria, Springfield, Lorton, Woodbridge, etc)

LOL, that's what I was worried about and why I expected a bit of a commute. I do have to pay my bills, and just try to find the best choice location for this scenario. I will look into your options! Thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I hope you are interviewing for a permanent job. If it is an IT contracting job, they have had a revolving door of firms as priorities change. My husband worked for them only a short time in the 1990's in Reston.

I dont even think you can 100% depend on "permanent" jobs these days either. With that said, it is permanent and I plan to ask about the dept and org changes/stability etc.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM

9,866 posts, read 14,077,806 times
Quote:
I dont even think you can 100% depend on "permanent" jobs these days either. With that said, it is permanent and I plan to ask about the dept and org changes/stability etc.

I think the other poster was referring to a full-time employee versus a contractor. It sounds like you are interviewing to be a full-time employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC