Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
Hello RLCMA,

I found this post searching for Hecht Warehouse posts. I'm hoping to move there in May. I took a tour last August and absolutely loved it. Can you share any pros and cons of living there? Do you find it noisy? Any floor better than the other? I heard that the 7th floor has less apartments so it may be quieter?

Thanks!

Viv
It's a cool building for sure. Free coffee from Compass Coffee, free beer from Atlas Brewery, an insane game room (man cave) in the basement. The neighborhood still has a ways to go as there still aren't many dining options, the closest Metro is over a mile away, and there is still a homeless shelter next door. I will say most of the neighbors are nice for DC standards. I've met more people here in 4 months than I did at my previous two buildings in Navy Yard the past 4.5 years. The 7th floor is ok. Penthouses and Townhomes. I live on the 6th floor. There are tons of floor plans to choose from. I'm most likely going to move downtown in September when my lease is up as I just prefer the downtown neighborhood to Ivy City. The distilleries in the area are really cool too. If you like a gritty part of the city you'd like it here. I just prefer Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Mt. Vernon so I'm most likely going to move to that area in September. Also, I'm assuming my rent is going to exceed $3,000/month come September and I would prefer to stay under $2,500/month. I do have a 2 bed/2 bath and pay less here than I did in Navy Yard for a 1 bed/1.5 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 AM

78 posts, read 164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
It's a cool building for sure. Free coffee from Compass Coffee, free beer from Atlas Brewery, an insane game room (man cave) in the basement. The neighborhood still has a ways to go as there still aren't many dining options, the closest Metro is over a mile away, and there is still a homeless shelter next door. I will say most of the neighbors are nice for DC standards. I've met more people here in 4 months than I did at my previous two buildings in Navy Yard the past 4.5 years. The 7th floor is ok. Penthouses and Townhomes. I live on the 6th floor. There are tons of floor plans to choose from. I'm most likely going to move downtown in September when my lease is up as I just prefer the downtown neighborhood to Ivy City. The distilleries in the area are really cool too. If you like a gritty part of the city you'd like it here. I just prefer Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Mt. Vernon so I'm most likely going to move to that area in September. Also, I'm assuming my rent is going to exceed $3,000/month come September and I would prefer to stay under $2,500/month. I do have a 2 bed/2 bath and pay less here than I did in Navy Yard for a 1 bed/1.5 bath.
Thank you for the info. I also prefer Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Mt. Vernon, I spend most of my time in that area when I visit, but I'm starting a candy company and the new Union Kitchen incubator is right next door to Hecht so I can't beat that commute. I knew about the homeless shelter but thought it would be closed or moved due to the changes in the area. Any issues that you know of? I'll be walking by there frequently going to the kitchen, sometimes at night. Any security?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 24,515 times
I moved to Dock 79 in the Navy Yard, next to Nationals' Ballpark, a few months ago. Stunning views of the waterfront, and right on the boardwalk. What's great for renters is there's an apartment building construction boom in D.C. right now. Especially in the Navy Yard, NOMA, and the H Street Corridor. Most new buildings with killer amenities offer incentives, like 1 or 2 months free rent, or 1 year waived amenity fee, or prices that are below market value. I move every year into a new building. If you don't mind moving into a new building every year, you get a good bargain for the new, luxury buildings.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
Thank you for the info. I also prefer Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Mt. Vernon, I spend most of my time in that area when I visit, but I'm starting a candy company and the new Union Kitchen incubator is right next door to Hecht so I can't beat that commute. I knew about the homeless shelter but thought it would be closed or moved due to the changes in the area. Any issues that you know of? I'll be walking by there frequently going to the kitchen, sometimes at night. Any security?
The developer is building a homeless shelter outside of the neighborhood so the homeless shelter next door will cease to exist at some point in the future but I'm not sure when. The homeless guys don't bother anyone so you'll be fine. There is security roaming around quite a bit. Honestly, I've been here for 4 months with no issue so far.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
I moved to Dock 79 in the Navy Yard, next to Nationals' Ballpark, a few months ago. Stunning views of the waterfront, and right on the boardwalk. What's great for renters is there's an apartment building construction boom in D.C. right now. Especially in the Navy Yard, NOMA, and the H Street Corridor. Most new buildings with killer amenities offer incentives, like 1 or 2 months free rent, or 1 year waived amenity fee, or prices that are below market value. I move every year into a new building. If you don't mind moving into a new building every year, you get a good bargain for the new, luxury buildings.
They're building apartments on H? I know they have built condos but I have yet to see any construction boom on H. Again, I think this area is highly overrated unless dive bars are your thing. Even then, it's the same few places.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 24,515 times
Yes, they just built new apartment buildings on H Street NE, which recently include Anthology, opened Fall 2016 with 200 units, and across the street, Apollo, 200 units, opened Fall 2016, to include Whole Foods. Plus, the 400 unit Station House apartments, second phase of that building opened 2016.
There's not just dive bars on H Street NE anymore. Check out Maketto, Le Grenier, or The Pursuit, for instance. Sure to be more with all the new high income renters.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Yes, they just built new apartment buildings on H Street NE, which recently include Anthology, opened Fall 2016 with 200 units, and across the street, Apollo, 200 units, opened Fall 2016, to include Whole Foods. Plus, the 400 unit Station House apartments, second phase of that building opened 2016.
There's not just dive bars on H Street NE anymore. Check out Maketto, Le Grenier, or The Pursuit, for instance. Sure to be more with all the new high income renters.
I had no idea. I love the Pursuit Wine Bar but it's still on H which has issues. A homeless guy in their last month starting trouble and the area isn't attractive at all in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC