U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM
 
9,583 posts, read 10,915,282 times
Reputation: 2109

Advertisements

NYC's Brooklyn has been changing over the last 10 years as people have crossed the East River as they're priced out of Manhattan. Development and investment has taken off in Brooklyn neighborhoods such as Park Slope, Bedstuy, and Williamsburg etc. Signs are pointing toward the same migration in D.C. as people are beginning to cross the Anacostia River as they're priced out of D.C.'s core. Neighborhoods all over Ward 7 and Ward 8 are starting to see investment and major urban development is moving.

Here is a rundown of the major development taking place right now:


Barry Farms Development

http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/579...Redevelopment/




Anacostia Gateway Development

http://dc.curbed.com/2016/11/15/1363...ia-mlk-gateway





Poplar Point Development

700 Units, 1.6 Million Square Feet of Office: Massive Mixed-Use Project Planned For Poplar Point




St. Elizabeth East Development

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...hase-will.html




Parkside Development

Parkside




Kenilworth Development

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-new-life.html





Reunion Square Development

Reunion Square Plan – Reunion Square






Skyland Development

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...n-center-65258





Deanwood Development

Lincoln Heights/Richardson Dwellings Redevelopment Plan - NCI NCI




11th Street Bridge Park

Pre-Construction on 11th Street Bridge Park Could Begin in September






Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-16-2016 at 08:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM
 
2,696 posts, read 1,714,645 times
Reputation: 1856
This is some sexy stuff.

NoMa was originally called "DC's Brooklyn" not too long ago. But yes, I think Ward 7 and 8 will be the next "Brooklyn of DC" and more so than NoMa ever was.

The areas across the river have some of the best views of the DC skyline around. In some areas you can see the entire downtown in clear detail along with the Monument and the Capital. Arguably better views than you get from Virginia because of the angle.

This would be a good time to plan some more streetcar or other heavy rail in that area since Metrorail has limited service on that side of the city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM
 
165 posts, read 113,185 times
Reputation: 183
They are planning to add various streetcars East of the River that'll connect to stations with proximity to Downtown DC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dc+s...MRuK99iYo0M%3A
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 11:31 PM
 
784 posts, read 843,703 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This is some sexy stuff.

NoMa was originally called "DC's Brooklyn" not too long ago. But yes, I think Ward 7 and 8 will be the next "Brooklyn of DC" and more so than NoMa ever was.

The areas across the river have some of the best views of the DC skyline around. In some areas you can see the entire downtown in clear detail along with the Monument and the Capital. Arguably better views than you get from Virginia because of the angle.

This would be a good time to plan some more streetcar or other heavy rail in that area since Metrorail has limited service on that side of the city
.

Meh I disagree......i dont think its any less limited than other areas.......3 lines go through the area and the green line cuts through the heart of SE.......

Will that side of DC be the new Brooklyn??? not exactly. To me itll just be an extension of what happened in Shaw Eckington navy yard and Bloomingdale.....the same type of gentrifiers (hill staffers non profit workers and K Street jockeys). There will prob be more black yuppie types in the area since right now alot of them are either buying up property or in process of doing so. Plus Penn Branch is already a relatively quiet black middle class area anyway.

DC has a different demographic of gentrifier than Brooklyn does. Plus hipsters like gritty industrial and brownstone districts so honestly Shaw was the most likely area to become another williamsburg......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 07:31 AM
 
87 posts, read 63,027 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Meh I disagree......i dont think its any less limited than other areas.......3 lines go through the area and the green line cuts through the heart of SE.......

Will that side of DC be the new Brooklyn??? not exactly. To me itll just be an extension of what happened in Shaw Eckington navy yard and Bloomingdale.....the same type of gentrifiers (hill staffers non profit workers and K Street jockeys). There will prob be more black yuppie types in the area since right now alot of them are either buying up property or in process of doing so. Plus Penn Branch is already a relatively quiet black middle class area anyway.

DC has a different demographic of gentrifier than Brooklyn does. Plus hipsters like gritty industrial and brownstone districts so honestly Shaw was the most likely area to become another williamsburg......
I agree, geographically sure Anacostia is similar to Brooklyn in that it has lower housing cost and is across a body of water and has a relatively short commute distance from a major job center (Midtown and lower Manhattan & Downtown DC) but that's about it. Culturally (what Brooklyn is mainly known for) I don't see them having any resemblance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 AM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
6,879 posts, read 3,610,904 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I agree, geographically sure Anacostia is similar to Brooklyn in that it has lower housing cost and is across a body of water and has a relatively short commute distance from a major job center (Midtown and lower Manhattan & Downtown DC) but that's about it. Culturally (what Brooklyn is mainly known for) I don't see them having any resemblance.
Maybe a better comparison would be Anacostia and the Bronx.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM
 
2,696 posts, read 1,714,645 times
Reputation: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Meh I disagree......i dont think its any less limited than other areas.......3 lines go through the area and the green line cuts through the heart of SE.......

Will that side of DC be the new Brooklyn??? not exactly. To me itll just be an extension of what happened in Shaw Eckington navy yard and Bloomingdale.....the same type of gentrifiers (hill staffers non profit workers and K Street jockeys). There will prob be more black yuppie types in the area since right now alot of them are either buying up property or in process of doing so. Plus Penn Branch is already a relatively quiet black middle class area anyway.

DC has a different demographic of gentrifier than Brooklyn does. Plus hipsters like gritty industrial and brownstone districts so honestly Shaw was the most likely area to become another williamsburg......
No one is claiming it will be a carbon copy of Brooklyn.. just comparable. The "DC version" based on DC standards. Not NYC standards.

So I stand by my statement. There are no places that are identical to other places nore is anyone claiming that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM
 
784 posts, read 843,703 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Maybe a better comparison would be Anacostia and the Bronx.

Id say the most similar case to SE and far NE DC gentrification I know of is the gentrification of Oakland.....esp East Oakland.

The Bronx barely has a shred of gentrification going on in it (as of 2016 anyway)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,219 posts, read 967,991 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Maybe a better comparison would be Anacostia and the Bronx.
Hell no.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 12:53 AM
 
165 posts, read 113,185 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Id say the most similar case to SE and far NE DC gentrification I know of is the gentrification of Oakland.....esp East Oakland.

The Bronx barely has a shred of gentrification going on in it (as of 2016 anyway)
Actually, the Bronx IS going through more than a shed of gentrification. Also, EOTR COULD use additional transit options. A bus lane on Penn Ave SE, MLK SE/SW could use more buses, Good Hope Rd, Southern Ave could use bus lanes too. Add some more bike lanes EOTR as well.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top