U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 AM

11,627 posts, read 17,132,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
$600 million for the Nat's Stadium? It's funny how cities don't have money to develop underserved parts of their cities, yet can pull money from nowhere to give to wealthy individuals for single structures.

Imagine what $600 million could have done with public/private partnerships in Ward 8? I think the returns would have been much greater in my opinion. Let the billionaires pay for their own palaces. The city should make better use of its funds when it comes to economic development and sports stadiums.
I am inclined to agree.

However, to be fair, at least right now, Danny has not insisted that any jurisdiction pay for the stadium. Indeed there is no proposal for anything right now. Just a few ideas and drawings plus some salivating politicians.

And FedEx Field was paid for with the late Jack Kent Cooke's own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 AM

5,713 posts, read 6,610,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I am inclined to agree.

However, to be fair, at least right now, Danny has not insisted that any jurisdiction pay for the stadium. Indeed there is no proposal for anything right now. Just a few ideas and drawings plus some salivating politicians.

And FedEx Field was paid for with the late Jack Kent Cooke's own money.
Love Cooke. But I think Danny may take a page from Amazon and say hey, if Amazon can get money, so can I. Afterall, DC has diehard fans that will support a new stadium in DC. Book it. It won't hurt Danny to ask for the money. Other owners do it.

And if Virginia steps up to the plate and gives out the cash instead of DC, so be it.

The interesting part is, whoever gets Amazon, having promised so much cash to Amazon, may not have the cash left to woo Danny. I dunno. There just seems to be a lot of incentives for companies and no incentives for neighborhood investments.

My main concern is having two large paved tracts of land a mile apart not being used or developed in Landover.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:56 AM

6,389 posts, read 6,247,667 times
I think Nationals Park is paying for itself. That doesn't mean all or even most stadium deals are a benefit, but the baseball stadium seems to be an economic winner.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 AM

7,964 posts, read 3,928,377 times
Quote:
Love Cooke. But I think Danny may take a page from Amazon and say hey, if Amazon can get money, so can I. Afterall, DC has diehard fans that will support a new stadium in DC. Book it. It won't hurt Danny to ask for the money. Other owners do it.

And if Virginia steps up to the plate and gives out the cash instead of DC, so be it.

The interesting part is, whoever gets Amazon, having promised so much cash to Amazon, may not have the cash left to woo Danny. I dunno. There just seems to be a lot of incentives for companies and no incentives for neighborhood investments.

My main concern is having two large paved tracts of land a mile apart not being used or developed in Landover.
I think the only location in Virginia that would be feasible is Loudoun County. The Potomac Yards is gone. Built over with tacky strip malls. But if the team moved to Loudoun County that might at least solve the problem of the team's name. They could call it the Virginia Rednecks. But seriously, if the Skins can't make a fair (to taxpayers) deal to move back to the District then they should stay put in P.G. At least it's close to DC. But Loudoun County? Blech!

Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I think Nationals Park is paying for itself. That doesn't mean all or even most stadium deals are a benefit, but the baseball stadium seems to be an economic winner.
One could argue that part of DC was already primed for redevelopment.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Indeed. He may do that and yes others have done so as well. But I would advise him not to. Firstly, he can afford to finance a new stadium. Secondly, his already sodden reputation would take yet another ferocious hit.

Incentives for companies make for big headlines, big ribbon cutting ceremonies, and a legacy. Incentives for neighborhoods are only known to those in the neighborhood.

So it goes.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM

6,389 posts, read 6,247,667 times
Quote:
One can argue that the Earth is flat. Doesn't make it reasonable.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM

206 posts, read 413,126 times
Quote:
One can argue that but they would be wrong. The development around the Navy Yard would've been far slower and less complete without the baseball stadium. Even WITH the stadium built it still took almost 10 years to get going. That area of town was one of the most desolate and abandoned in the city. No one wanted to be the first to invest there in any significant way. The Nats brought consistent traffic and once people got used to the idea of going to that area of the city then and only then was further development even slowly made possible. Remember South Capitol Street before 2010? I do, and it wasn't pretty.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
One can argue that but they would be wrong. The development around the Navy Yard would've been far slower and less complete without the baseball stadium. Even WITH the stadium built it still took almost 10 years to get going. That area of town was one of the most desolate and abandoned in the city. No one wanted to be the first to invest there in any significant way. The Nats brought consistent traffic and once people got used to the idea of going to that area of the city then and only then was further development even slowly made possible. Remember South Capitol Street before 2010? I do, and it wasn't pretty.
I disagree. Yes, it was abandoned and desolate. But it is a stone's throw away from Capitol Hill. You had housing price pressures growing in the city year after year. As a developer, the Navy Yard was practically a blank slate, a half mile from the Wharf and Capitol Hill. The stadium is just a nice amenity.

One would like to think that the Navy Yard wouldn't have been developed as fast, but I would argue that even if the stadium hadn't been built there, development would have taken off. After all, sports stadiums aren't necessarily drivers of development. I think people were more concerned about proximity to jobs than proximity to a baseball stadium.

Look at RFK and FedEx Field. Look at Camden Yards. The surrounding areas around those sports complexes aren't necessarily vibrant new developments with retail, condos, and apartments.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Yes, it was abandoned and desolate. But it is a stone's throw away from Capitol Hill. You had housing price pressures growing in the city year after year. As a developer, the Navy Yard was practically a blank slate, a half mile from the Wharf and Capitol Hill. The stadium is just a nice amenity.

One would like to think that the Navy Yard wouldn't have been developed as fast, but I would argue that even if the stadium hadn't been built there, development would have taken off. After all, sports stadiums aren't necessarily drivers of development. I think people were more concerned about proximity to jobs than proximity to a baseball stadium.

Look at RFK and FedEx Field. Look at Camden Yards. The surrounding areas around those sports complexes aren't necessarily vibrant new developments with retail, condos, and apartments.
I think the Navy Yard was inevitably a target for redevelopment, but the stadium did speed up the process. With the baseball stadium came bars and restaurants, better lighting, and a heavy police presence throughout the Spring and Summer. I do not know if it was their intention, but they have basically created something akin to Wrigleyville, the area around Wrigley Field. Ours is much more sterile though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or