Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

https://ggwash.org/view/61890/here-i...ve-looked-like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
So glad that freeway revolt happened. Dc would have have been destroyed and the recovery we see today would not be happening. Freeways through cities is one of the worst things that happened in america and the reason we have so many problems today
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtond...t_and/ddtufuv/

Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
I'm old enough to remember when the Northwest Freeway was being planned. Thank god it never made it off the drawing board. It would have been disaster for the city.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
DC does need a better highway system though.

Part of why traffic is so bad here is we have too many parkways and light duty roads instead of a robust highway that goes straight from I-95 or I-495 right into DC from both the north and the south.

NYC, Philly, and Baltimore all have downtowns with very close proximity to a major heavy duty highway. To get from I-95 or I-495 to downtown DC you have to either drive through a maze, deal with loads of stop and go traffic nonsense or get on a light duty crappy two-lane parkway like GW parkway or Cabin John Parkway or I-66.

Stupid.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the Northwest Freeway was being planned. Thank god it never made it off the drawing board. It would have been disaster for the city.
it wouldve been bittersweet. On one hand it would give people more options in terms of driving in and out but it wouldve gutted neighborhoods in the process...

Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
DC does need a better highway system though.

Part of why traffic is so bad here is we have too many parkways and light duty roads instead of a robust highway that goes straight from I-95 or I-495 right into DC from both the north and the south.

NYC, Philly, and Baltimore all have downtowns with very close proximity to a major heavy duty highway. To get from I-95 or I-495 to downtown DC you have to either drive through a maze, deal with loads of stop and go traffic nonsense or get on a light duty crappy two-lane parkway like GW parkway or Cabin John Parkway or I-66.

Stupid.
I agree....at the bare minimum the BW parkway needs to be expanded to at least 3 lanes all the way from the DC border to Baltimore.....

Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
it wouldve been bittersweet. On one hand it would give people more options in terms of driving in and out but it wouldve gutted neighborhoods in the process...
I'd hate to sacrifice interesting and historic urban neighborhoods like Mount Pleasant and Tenleytown just to shave a few minutes off the commute of suburbanites from Rockburg or Gaithersville.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'd hate to sacrifice interesting and historic urban neighborhoods like Mount Pleasant and Tenleytown just to shave a few minutes off the commute of suburbanites from Rockburg or Gaithersville.
There is a lot of parkland and green space that can be sacrificed to build a highway instead of bulldozing entire neighborhoods. Basically everything directly North of Woodley Park is trees and green space. Perfect location for a nice wide highway that can basically go all the way to Silver Spring.

Not sure what the purpose of preserving that land is. Anyone interested in REAL nature will head out to Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania. We don't need no stinking forest in DC. I moved to the city to live in the city.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
There is a lot of parkland and green space that can be sacrificed to build a highway instead of bulldozing entire neighborhoods. Basically everything directly North of Woodley Park is trees and green space. Perfect location for a nice wide highway that can basically go all the way to Silver Spring.

Not sure what the purpose of preserving that land is. Anyone interested in REAL nature will head out to Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania. We don't need no stinking forest in DC. I moved to the city to live in the city.
So you think we should build a major expressway down the middle of Rock Creek Park?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
So you think we should build a major expressway down the middle of Rock Creek Park?
Yes.

Imagine evening rush hour and how fast you would be able to get out of the city.

In the end this doesn't really impact me because I live and work downtown. But thinking logically.. that is what makes the most sense to me. Also, there are times when I have to leave/come to the city for VA or MD on a weekday and the traffic is hell if you drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC