Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:09 AM

92 posts, read 141,317 times

Advertisements

Most people from the DC area over the age of 30 grew up on go-go music. It was the heart and soul of the city, and up until maybe 10 years ago, kids all wanted to be in a go-go band, rap was secondary. That has changed drastically. I've been out of the loop for a while, but does the younger generation have interest in carrying on the go-go tradition? It can't be forced, it's gotta be organic. I know heavy gentrification has changed the city landscape and culture a lot, but that shouldnt be the reason go-go disappears.

Most kids these days try to copy cat these horrible auto tune mumble rappers or trap rappers. With the internet now we are influenced a lot more by outsiders. Is there room for both rap and go-go in the city? Whenever there's a go-go lineup, it's ALWAYS the same old bands (backyard, jyb, RE, familiar faces, etc). These cats are OLD. Please don't tell me there's no younger bands that can take their place. I know some younger bands like UCB, TCB, ccb were out at some point but I left the district a few years ago so I'm not sure if there are any younger bands with a future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM

181 posts, read 190,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
Most people from the DC area over the age of 30 grew up on go-go music. It was the heart and soul of the city, and up until maybe 10 years ago, kids all wanted to be in a go-go band, rap was secondary. That has changed drastically. I've been out of the loop for a while, but does the younger generation have interest in carrying on the go-go tradition? It can't be forced, it's gotta be organic. I know heavy gentrification has changed the city landscape and culture a lot, but that shouldnt be the reason go-go disappears.

Most kids these days try to copy cat these horrible auto tune mumble rappers or trap rappers. With the internet now we are influenced a lot more by outsiders. Is there room for both rap and go-go in the city? Whenever there's a go-go lineup, it's ALWAYS the same old bands (backyard, jyb, RE, familiar faces, etc). These cats are OLD. Please don't tell me there's no younger bands that can take their place. I know some younger bands like UCB, TCB, ccb were out at some point but I left the district a few years ago so I'm not sure if there are any younger bands with a future.

Probably not. Especially since new people are moving in day by day. So the demographics will continue to change. Today's rap music is unbearable to listen to. Drugs, violence, degrading their own women while praising foreign women, bragging about their purchased European fashion labels/cars, putting down poor folks (as if they weren't just poor themselves), etc. It's a mess. Kind of odd hearing rappers shout "Black Lives Matter" when their lyrics consist of committing violence against other Blacks. I don't care what you call me. I'm telling you what I hear and see.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 PM

126 posts, read 117,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Probably not. Especially since new people are moving in day by day. So the demographics will continue to change. Today's rap music is unbearable to listen to. Drugs, violence, degrading their own women while praising foreign women, bragging about their purchased European fashion labels/cars, putting down poor folks (as if they weren't just poor themselves), etc. It's a mess. Kind of odd hearing rappers shout "Black Lives Matter" when their lyrics consist of committing violence against other Blacks. I don't care what you call me. I'm telling you what I hear and see.
I'm not sure what your diatribe about rap music has to do with the fading go-go scene in the city is. I would say the fading go-go scene has more to do with the changing culture of the city and new transplants don't really care about the old culture/scene of the city the way they do in other cities such as NYC, Philly, New Orleans, Austin, Nashville and Baltimore. Plus the homegrown music scene in general has been fleeing the city and appearing more in the suburbs atleast for rap/R&B music. Logic, Goldlink, Gallant, and Wale are probably some of the more well known artist from The DMV right now and they are all from the Burbs.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Go-Go has no future. It was a local fad.

Fads always die. I know locals don't want to admit it was a fad, but it was. Its in the same category with tie dye shirts.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 PM

181 posts, read 190,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I'm not sure what your diatribe about rap music has to do with the fading go-go scene in the city is. I would say the fading go-go scene has more to do with the changing culture of the city and new transplants don't really care about the old culture/scene of the city the way they do in other cities such as NYC, Philly, New Orleans, Austin, Nashville and Baltimore. Plus the homegrown music scene in general has been fleeing the city and appearing more in the suburbs atleast for rap/R&B music. Logic, Goldlink, Gallant, and Wale are probably some of the more well known artist from The DMV right now and they are all from the Burbs.

Uh, I did say new people are moving in, which is why gogo is fading. You've basically repeated me for some reason. Um, I mentioned rap because he made a comment on "today's rap music."

I'm not really seeing the point of your comment. Could it be because I described "today's rap music" as what it truly is? And what does Logic, Goldlink, Gallant, and Wale have to do with my comment? Do they make trap music? Do you even know what trap music is? Is there specific reason these new transplants aren't interested in go-go music?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:

GoGo has different genres now. You are clearly only familiar with the traditional pocket bands. Bounce beat is what the younger generation listens too. There were shows all over the region this past weekend. GoGo has never been on ticket master so unless you follow these bands on social media or hear it by word of mouth like it's always been, you would not know about them.

Just a side note, if you think TCB is a younger band, you have to be over 40 years old. TCB has been the most popular band in DC for over a decade. They're the bouncebeat kings. They started it. They're old now. They have been packing shows since 2002.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-19-2017 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Just to name a few Bounce Beat Bands playing this weekend:

TCB
https://mobile.twitter.com/bouncebeatkingz?lang=en

WHAT Band
http://instagram.com/mizzblackwell

Reaction
https://mobile.twitter.com/DaReactio...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

TOB
https://mobile.twitter.com/TOBBANDAN...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

New Impressionz
https://mobile.twitter.com/newimpressionz?lang=en

Dreamteam Band
https://mobile.twitter.com/DREAMTEAM...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-19-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:

Its still around but since gentrification has gone on a rampage in the city you dont hear about it like you did 10-20 years ago.....also note that gentrifiers file petty complaints just for farting and coughing so you dont hear people in the neighborhoods blasting it out their windows and car stereos like you used to.....ive heard the gentrifiers near 7th and Florida have filed a ton of noise complaints on the corner store that blasts go-go so I heard the volume has been turned down....which symbolizes the scene on a whole. and i heard alot of local clubs wont host go-gos so then theres that to consider. I heard CFE isnt even open anymore.

To give a short answer its still around you just have to look harder and get inside info as to who the new artists are nowadays.......Im guessing your best bet is to ask the local youths.....

And 93.9 and 95.5 still host Go-Go hour on their stations. So Id say thats a good starting point.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
today's rap music is unbearable? you sound like an old geezer pining for the days of paid in full or illmatic . learn how to embrace change. several of the top rap artists today like Kendrick Lamar and J Cole do not rap about the cliche stereotypical stuff you just complained about. Lil Yachty does not represent all of rap. There are different genres if you don't realize

Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
As the thread continues, in the name of all that's holy, please don't turn it into that good old "things back then were so great, and everything now is terrible" argument, ok ? And please stick to the topic.
Thanks.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC