U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 3,130 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am from Midwest. I got a federal consulting position at Washington dc. It's through a small farm.,subcontract through a big . I was waiting for clearance . In the mean time, I got a job in financial company in midwest paying same money. The midwest company is paying me more than dc. My question is:
1. What are the prospects of surviving in dc with 90k single? It is a contract good through end of this year?
2. Job prospects ,finding new new employer with a new contract?
3. In midwest, it's pretty boring. With 90k here . you can live like a king. 60k here is equal to 100k in dc.
The technology stack for the company in midwest is very innovative compared to one in dc. I had got offers before with a Big4 but have dropped it as they were paying me less.
The contract can end anytime. I can be jobless any time. So can the Full time.
Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,517,981 times
Generally speaking, you should be easily able to afford living here as long as youre not looking for the must luxurious apartment at 14/u or have $100k in student loan debt. It really depends on everyone. Car ownership will easily add $500 a month to your bills in DC.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 AM

33 posts, read 24,776 times
Obviously there are alot of personal decisions to be made, but with info given I would take the full-time/permanent in the midwest.

Govt contract jobs in DC can really be hit or miss and have the potential to be extremely un-glamorous. Frankly I have found the contractors to be "chew you up and spit you out" type with likely zero room for job growth. In the worst cases, I have seen contracts terminated one day and contractors all dismissed with zero notice and contractors have been dealing with a lot of uncertainty due to the change in administration. 90K in DC is good but not great, it is an expensive city (as are the suburbs in Virginia and Maryland) and from my experience the 2nd most expensive east coast city after NYC. Compared to NYC, I find it is also harder to "save a buck" because there are less options at different price points (housing, food, entertainment, etc).

I don't know midwest well, but I could fathom a financial company may treat you better as an employee than a DC Contractor, plus more pay / lower cost of living, plus potential job growth. Midwest company sounds like that is a better option unless you are totally hellbent on leaving the area. Even so, if you want to leave where you live, then I would get the experience and look at Chicago, NYC, or Boston which IMO are much more vibrant cities with better job potential in the financial sector than DC.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 AM

20,136 posts, read 21,745,742 times
The Midwest varies widely--where in the Midwest would it be?

Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 PM

608 posts, read 296,752 times
Government contracting jobs are basically created to allow the government the flexibility to terminate jobs easier and faster than they can with direct-hires. There are millions of people vying for these jobs. I would only say it is 'easy' to find a new government contract if you have very rare-to-find skills (such as rare sciences).

On the other hand, I would also say that experience acquired in DC will be looked upon much more favorably in the midwest than the reverse. In other words...you can always go back to the midwest. It's not so easy to jump from the midwest to DC.

Another thing to consider is when your security clearance will be approved. No joke, some people wait YEARS. So this debate may not be an issue at all....you may work for this other job for a few years and then get your security clearance and move on, and it won't be any kind of debate at all.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM

My job is in des moines iowa. I came to dc , to see and enjoy it. It's very fast paced, and I like it for tourism. I was/never a fan of contracts ,have avoided it due to uncertainity. I prefer a full time. Only reason I opted for the contact was because it through a federal agency which is been funded by current administration.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Government contracting jobs are basically created to allow the government the flexibility to terminate jobs easier and faster than they can with direct-hires. There are millions of people vying for these jobs. I would only say it is 'easy' to find a new government contract if you have very rare-to-find skills (such as rare sciences).

On the other hand, I would also say that experience acquired in DC will be looked upon much more favorably in the midwest than the reverse. In other words...you can always go back to the midwest. It's not so easy to jump from the midwest to DC.

Another thing to consider is when your security clearance will be approved. No joke, some people wait YEARS. So this debate may not be an issue at all....you may work for this other job for a few years and then get your security clearance and move on, and it won't be any kind of debate at all.
thats what I thought upon initially. I have 2 clearance , one from DoD, other from other federal agency. Moving from midwest is not easy. The problem is my initially contract is till July, and altough its a FTE, once the contract is over , I am over.
I am a veteran, and would like to serve this country every way I can. But seems that I am not getting it right.
The financial farm is based in new york, office in midwest where I will be working.
My other concern is if I loose my job in midwest, it will be hard to replace. That's not the case in DC.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Also to add, I am in late twenties, and not so keen of nightlife. Like to stay in a quiet place. DC is costly. in midwest, rent is cheap. Travel time is less(except chicago). Been everywhere. I like midwest. I didn't like the work in DC. I am heading back to join the financial farm.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM

But the other reason I want move out midwest is I am asian, and as of recent, I was addressed badly in public place because of my ethnicity. Can't say all time that I am veteran, makes me worried. I know arrogant people will be everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC