U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
 
13,769 posts, read 16,290,620 times
Reputation: 10515

Advertisements

So I will be visiting DC in a few months for 10 days. I'll be staying in a central location near the capital. Any recommendations for good restaurants I should go to? I'm not particular on cuisine or price.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 AM
 
Location: DC
6,221 posts, read 6,077,928 times
Reputation: 2853
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...taurants-2017/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM
 
20,217 posts, read 28,280,479 times
Reputation: 18046
I lived in DC for many years and still visit frequently, so have a good handle on the restaurant scene as someone who loves to try them all out. Rather than mention many of the hotspots which while terrific are often price startling, I'm offering up some more moderate options that are all good in their own right and provide in my opinion more of a DC experience versus what could be any other big city.

Since you're visiting in the summer one of my faves and old standbys is Banana Cafe on SE 8th Street's restaurant row. It's a fun/casual place with good drinks, friendly service and a blend of Cuban, Puerto Rican and Tex-Mex fare. They also have a very popular piano bar upstairs. bananacafewdc

To experience more of "DC feel" I would say since staying near the Capitol check out the Hawk and Dove. It's a historic place with decent food and a nice bar atmosphere. If you recall the TV series Murphy Brown and the fictional "Phil's", it was meant to portray H&D. Hawk 'n' Dove Restaurant and Bar | Washington, DC Also The Monocle is a real slice of old (and new) DC and serves consistently good food for lunch/dinner along with a decent bar menu. Usually more than a couple "familiar faces" there. The Monocle | An American Steak & Seafood Restaurant

There are some great "neighborhood restaurants" peppered around the Hill which include Cafe Berlin (long-running, good German food with a nice patio area for people-watching) Cafe Berlin – DC | on Capitol Hill If you haven't tried it, Ethiopian food is good and worth a try. Check out Ethiopic on nearby H Street. Their very friendly staff is great about helping navigate an unfamiliar cuisine for most. Ethiopic Restaurant | Fine Ethiopian dining

I cannot with any conscience leave out The Old Ebbitt Grill which isn't super close, but is a reasonable cab/Uber ride away at 15th and Pennsylvania NW. It dates back to the mid-1800s and oozes history. I highly recommend getting there at night when the still working gas lights give it an atmosphere not like many other restaurants. When making reservations specify front room seating. The food has always been well above average and an experience one shouldn't miss in DC. Old Ebbitt Grill |

Ok, one more. If you like Asian food you have to checkout Daikaya. The first floor features a fresh ramen menu and the second floor a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu, both are terrific! DAIKAYA

Have fun and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 AM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,772,062 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I lived in DC for many years and still visit frequently, so have a good handle on the restaurant scene as someone who loves to try them all out. Rather than mention many of the hotspots which while terrific are often price startling, I'm offering up some more moderate options that are all good in their own right and provide in my opinion more of a DC experience versus what could be any other big city.

Since you're visiting in the summer one of my faves and old standbys is Banana Cafe on SE 8th Street's restaurant row. It's a fun/casual place with good drinks, friendly service and a blend of Cuban, Puerto Rican and Tex-Mex fare. They also have a very popular piano bar upstairs. bananacafewdc

To experience more of "DC feel" I would say since staying near the Capitol check out the Hawk and Dove. It's a historic place with decent food and a nice bar atmosphere. If you recall the TV series Murphy Brown and the fictional "Phil's", it was meant to portray H&D. Hawk 'n' Dove Restaurant and Bar | Washington, DC Also The Monocle is a real slice of old (and new) DC and serves consistently good food for lunch/dinner along with a decent bar menu. Usually more than a couple "familiar faces" there. The Monocle | An American Steak & Seafood Restaurant

There are some great "neighborhood restaurants" peppered around the Hill which include Cafe Berlin (long-running, good German food with a nice patio area for people-watching) Cafe Berlin – DC | on Capitol Hill If you haven't tried it, Ethiopian food is good and worth a try. Check out Ethiopic on nearby H Street. Their very friendly staff is great about helping navigate an unfamiliar cuisine for most. Ethiopic Restaurant | Fine Ethiopian dining

I cannot with any conscience leave out The Old Ebbitt Grill which isn't super close, but is a reasonable cab/Uber ride away at 15th and Pennsylvania NW. It dates back to the mid-1800s and oozes history. I highly recommend getting there at night when the still working gas lights give it an atmosphere not like many other restaurants. When making reservations specify front room seating. The food has always been well above average and an experience one shouldn't miss in DC. Old Ebbitt Grill |

Ok, one more. If you like Asian food you have to checkout Daikaya. The first floor features a fresh ramen menu and the second floor a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu, both are terrific! DAIKAYA

Have fun and enjoy!


I agree with all of these suggestions with the one caveat...there are a friggin lot of good restaurants out here. I can think of many more, but without a specific food type, range, or something to narrow it down, I like this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 AM
 
13,769 posts, read 16,290,620 times
Reputation: 10515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I agree with all of these suggestions with the one caveat...there are a friggin lot of good restaurants out here. I can think of many more, but without a specific food type, range, or something to narrow it down, I like this list.
Yeah Iot overwhelmed with the lists I found when Google-ing this. Was trying to narrow it down somehow. Maybe I should have asked, if you had a friend coming to visit for one or two nights where would you take them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM
 
13,769 posts, read 16,290,620 times
Reputation: 10515
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I lived in DC for many years and still visit frequently, so have a good handle on the restaurant scene as someone who loves to try them all out. Rather than mention many of the hotspots which while terrific are often price startling, I'm offering up some more moderate options that are all good in their own right and provide in my opinion more of a DC experience versus what could be any other big city.

Since you're visiting in the summer one of my faves and old standbys is Banana Cafe on SE 8th Street's restaurant row. It's a fun/casual place with good drinks, friendly service and a blend of Cuban, Puerto Rican and Tex-Mex fare. They also have a very popular piano bar upstairs. bananacafewdc

To experience more of "DC feel" I would say since staying near the Capitol check out the Hawk and Dove. It's a historic place with decent food and a nice bar atmosphere. If you recall the TV series Murphy Brown and the fictional "Phil's", it was meant to portray H&D. Hawk 'n' Dove Restaurant and Bar | Washington, DC Also The Monocle is a real slice of old (and new) DC and serves consistently good food for lunch/dinner along with a decent bar menu. Usually more than a couple "familiar faces" there. The Monocle | An American Steak & Seafood Restaurant

There are some great "neighborhood restaurants" peppered around the Hill which include Cafe Berlin (long-running, good German food with a nice patio area for people-watching) Cafe Berlin – DC | on Capitol Hill If you haven't tried it, Ethiopian food is good and worth a try. Check out Ethiopic on nearby H Street. Their very friendly staff is great about helping navigate an unfamiliar cuisine for most. Ethiopic Restaurant | Fine Ethiopian dining

I cannot with any conscience leave out The Old Ebbitt Grill which isn't super close, but is a reasonable cab/Uber ride away at 15th and Pennsylvania NW. It dates back to the mid-1800s and oozes history. I highly recommend getting there at night when the still working gas lights give it an atmosphere not like many other restaurants. When making reservations specify front room seating. The food has always been well above average and an experience one shouldn't miss in DC. Old Ebbitt Grill |

Ok, one more. If you like Asian food you have to checkout Daikaya. The first floor features a fresh ramen menu and the second floor a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu, both are terrific! DAIKAYA

Have fun and enjoy!
Thank you so much for this and for taking the time. Very helpful. I will check those out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
 
20,217 posts, read 28,280,479 times
Reputation: 18046
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thank you so much for this and for taking the time. Very helpful. I will check those out.
You're welcome! Another that occurred to me for it's view/experience is Thunder Grill at Union Station. The architecture of the station isn't to be missed and a pretty good restaurant to boot for lunch or dinner.

Thunder Grill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,772,062 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yeah Iot overwhelmed with the lists I found when Google-ing this. Was trying to narrow it down somehow. Maybe I should have asked, if you had a friend coming to visit for one or two nights where would you take them?
Not too much better, but I'll try. If my friend was...




...Into Latin Food - Banana Café


...An attractive lady - Barcelona on 14th Street (and stop at The Gibson for drinks afterward)


...Wanted a unique food experience - Rose's Luxury


...really just trying to grab drinks and people watch - Smith Commons or H Street Country Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM
 
2,696 posts, read 1,717,596 times
Reputation: 1856
OP I know you are very open on this, but you still need to be more specific. There are just so many options. I don't want to list 100 restaurants. You won't have time to visit them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,519,011 times
Reputation: 1533
Price range would help too. Honestly, just go to 14th and Rhode Island and walk up towards U Street. Pretty much any restaurant you stumble upon is guaranteed to be good and they're all fairly moderately priced. Le Diplomate is one of the most popular in the city.

I would avoid most of the stuffy places downtown around Penn Quarter. Most of them are tourist traps. 14th Street is where the locals go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top