Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times

Advertisements

Don't worry big brother, this is not a "political thread". I will elaborate beyond politics.

Anyway, I didn't want to high-jack RLCMA's thread with my own take but recently, as most things occur with me, I have been putting things together. As a creative type, I don't think linearly so everything is in patterns, but out of order. However, once I get that moment of "clarity" and all patterns come together, I am usually spot on because I have been subconsciously internalizing all this information.

I have been recently thinking how much this area, in particular DC, is such in a bubble- an how it has affected the social landscape without most people knowing it, to include myself. So many times I have had conversations with people talking about how they are moving from one job to the next. I have a friend who was recently in the final background stages of an intel DEA job. During our conversation, he reminded himself that he had to call some HR lady for another job. In my mind, I was like- "bro, how many ladders can you climb at the same time, yo"!?. At first it didn't register but as time went on, more and more people eluded to them leaving one job, banking on getting this other job- literally calculating their 2-3 future jobs in the area. Btw, this is coming from a guy who lost his house, two cars, and had to ride my bike 6 miles to and 6 miles back from work everyday in south florida- after the crash. I know the deal..

At one point, it all clicked. I literally said to myself that we are totally living in a bubble. Most people in the US don't have these opportunities and here I am not giving a what on whether I lose my job or not because another one is right around the corner. But, I also began connecting other patterns- what is the price we are paying? At what cost to social culture are we playing this game? How will this bubble attract unwanted miserable types simply looking for a "job"? How far removed our we from regular folk, that we can't even see past our immediate social spaces? How does it not turn DC into an elitist market, whereby DC will continue resisting the characterization assassinations from those outside this bubble- because we are what they say we are, elite?

Am I starting to make more sense to you guys now? I am not crazy- all things are connected. I know the logical thinker like my pal chriz will say that "it can happen within any other field and in any other area outside of DC". The difference is, rent is going up in most metros but salaries are not.. As with our teachers, society benefits when reporters can live and work in the communities that they serve, and an increased focus on local coverage can help reduce the divide between rural and urban Americans."

The study reviewed rents in major cities and showed how rents have spiked while the salaries of reporters hasn't. That gap may be responsible for the shift by reporters, even award-winning journalists, to better paying public relations. In New York, by comparison, the drop was historic, from 5,330 jobs in 2005 to just 3,478 in 2015, said the study from Apartmentlist.com. While 12,000 reporting jobs were eliminated in most markets in the last decade, the Washington journalism market expanded from 2,190 to 3,030. That is more than five journalists for every single House and Senate member.

Article here:
Study: Media jobs, salary, soar 38% in DC, crash 22% nationally

Last edited by halfamazing; 05-11-2017 at 06:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
^^^ So all of this just to state that DC gained 960 in your opinion "elitists" since 2015? In a metro area of 6.1 million people.

I try to grasp the bigger picture with your posts...I just can't.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
You keep taking problems with human nature and making them problems with "DC".

OF COURSE geography will impact culture, jobs, attitudes, etc. That is true worldwide. People in DC will live differently than people in India. Why is that a "problem"? Why does the entire world have to be exactly the same?

DC is no more a bubble than anywhere else in the world. There is no such thing as "regular folk" as you call it.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM

23 posts, read 26,652 times
I can see where the OP’s coming from when he describes DC as being “in a bubble.” The booming job market, the high salaries, abundant urban amenities and national focus sort of give one the impression that DC is special. And in a way it is. It’s the nation’s capital, the home of America’s greatest institutions, a place where you’d better at least have a master’s degree if you want to stand out.

In turn, people who live and/or work in DC might have a tendency to feel special, even “elite.” And I think this can create an us-versus-them mentality, or maybe it’s more of a paternalistic way of thinking about people outside the Beltway. Of course, the same mentality is probably evident in highly-educated, upwardly-mobile people in any city or town.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 PM

137 posts, read 252,862 times
I think it's basically the same in competitive fields in any of the major metro areas that are doing well in the country right now (NYC, DC, SF, LA, Austin, etc).

And not to sound elitist, but isn't that to be expected? Major cities and their surrounding metro areas have been the driving economic factor for the last hundred years. It's only a "bubble" if you think it will someday pop because something is inherently wrong with the system.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Forget it..

I give up. I'm done

Last post.

This the same thing I have to deal with when it comes to djs- the same mentality in having no understanding beyond their own bubble. I can't get any of the promoters or djs to groom DC artists as other cities do and flood DC. DC is a dumping ground for other artists but nobody wants DC artists.

I appreciate the few years but this section is the worst. Wish you all the best.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
Why are you always so frustrated when someone doesn't see things your way?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Why are you always so frustrated when someone doesn't see things your way?
OP feels a certain way about DC and is looking for validation that his view of DC is accurate.

Since the facts don't support his view of DC, people here are disagreeing with him. This is causing frustration because he is much more comfortable taking his finger and pointing it at DC than turning it around and pointing it at himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: