U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
kb6

20 posts, read 11,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Not if you consider the suburbs as an option. MD and VA have plenty of Metro accessible dense neighborhoods.

Also, DC has a blue collar class. Just not a white one (for the most part). So I guess it doesn't count according to some people lol.
But a lot of those suburbs are only walkable in the areas immediately surrounding the metro stations, but it would be very challenging to live there without a car on the whole. Plus not everyone wants an hr-long commute, especially with such an unreliable metro system.

Also, are there any black blue collar neighborhoods in DC with lots of restaurants and bars? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the few middle class neighborhoods I'm aware of seem to be extremely residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,733,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb6 View Post
are there any black blue collar neighborhoods in DC with lots of restaurants and bars?
Not anymore.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM

1,387 posts, read 611,063 times
People try to portray themselves as knowledgeable, and then say silly things. Makes me chuckle.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:25 AM

2,696 posts, read 1,733,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
People try to portray themselves as knowledgeable, and then say silly things. Makes me chuckle.
Sorry. Let me fix it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb6 View Post
are there any black blue collar neighborhoods in DC with lots of GOOD restaurants and bars?
Not anymore.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,151,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Not if you consider the suburbs as an option. MD and VA have plenty of Metro accessible dense neighborhoods.

Also, DC has a blue collar class. Just not a white one (for the most part). So I guess it doesn't count according to some people lol.
Yup Downtown Silver Spring. Which is one of the cities missing neighborhoods which just happens to be located right outside it. Ethnic enclave (Ethopian, but lots more too), that is metro accessible and on several of the bus lines.

For the person thinking most things are so concentrated close to downtown it is a good indication they are new here.
Likewise living in the city does not require owning a car. We have the second lowest % of households with cars, number one is NYC. It is really not a necessity, and it is pretty easy to get around west of the river, and some of the inner beltway suburbs even if you are outside that core. Hello metro, buses, bikeshares, cabs, and rideshares.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 PM

1,265 posts, read 2,364,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
The top questions people ask when you are out at a bar, party, etc are "what do you do for a living?" and "where did you go to college?" - Sometimes it's even "what neighborhood do you live in?" The reason they do that is to decide if you are worth talking to. Do you think a man telling a woman (who's an attorney) that he's a custodial worker would help his chance of getting her number/going on a date? 9 times out of 10, it's a NO!

I've been here for 5 years and I could probably count on one hand when someone has asked me what I do or where I went to school as their first question. I think when people ask what neighborhood you live in they are just curious where you live in relation to them. It has nothing to do with sizing you up. I ask this all the time to see if this person lives close by as it would be nice to make new friends who live near me. I live in NE and if I meet someone in Chevy Chase I may not want to put a lot of energy into pursuing a friendship with them. I know this sounds absurd but people in cities tend to want to spend most of their social time in their own neighborhoods or ones that are close by. It definitely sounds close minded but a big reason us city dwellers prefer to live in the city and pay such a high cost to do so is convenience. This doesn't only relate to work, activities, etc. It also relates to people we are willing to put energy into for a friendship or relationship. I probably have at least 200k people within 2 miles of me. Why broaden my horizons to 5 miles in a congested city? Why would an attorney want to date a custodial worker? People generally want to date someone with the same education and salary level as themselves. Plus, I don't see many custodian workers and attorneys frequenting the same places where they would meet. This is a moot point.

Is this really a DC thing or is it a Liberal thing (considering that majority of the people who have moved in happen to be Liberals)? I understand that transplants are happy are about getting a top paying job (sometimes low paying) fresh out of college or may have finally gotten that promotion they've wanted, but that's not a reason to boost your own ego.

It's a life thing no matter where you live.

Maybe it's both. I have talked with people who've tried to hide their southern accents. Possibly, in fear that a they'll get judged or since many Liberals stereotypically thinks that people from the South are rednecks/hillbillies, poor, uneducated, etc. There's a reason why they feel as if they need to hide it.

Not sure why anyone would want to be someone other than themselves.

This is all probably why it's "hard" to date in this city. People are mainly really concerned about how much money you make, who you know, or how they can benefit from you. This is becoming a plague in DC. Sure, you can score a few one-night stands or an ongoing here and there's but that about it. Nothing for a year 1 or more. Not saying it can't happen, but it's usually the latter.

FYI...dating in any city is hard. People who live in cities like convenience and a high population makes it easy to meet a lot of people. DC is a very transient city so dating and one night stands are easy. Relationships are hard to come by in cities because there are a plethora of people.

It's hard to think that some people who lives with roommates because of high rents/college debt have this snarky attitude. They aren't wealthy by any means but want to act better than one another. Just don't get the attitude.

People are people. It is what it is. You don't have to be wealthy to have an attitude. Most wealthy people I know don't advertise the fact they are wealthy and are very nice people because you typically need strong people skills in high level management or ownership positions if you plan on being successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or