U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 7,764 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Philadelphia and thinking of moving to suburbs around DC (like Maryland or VA)

Could somebody please provide the information which is better Philadelphia vs DC regarding?:

- Job market in healthcare data analytics/healthcare actuarial (healthcare insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare consulting)
- Public transportation
- Russian speaking community
- Safety for a single female

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,135,002 times
1. There is plenty of jobs in DC for healthcare analytics. Probably better than philly as this is really the best city for data science jobs on the east coast, especially in healthcare. I see these jobs advertised all of the time.
2. I would say both cities have their upsides and downsides.
3. Yeah, not many eastern europeans here, so philly might be better.
4. This really depends on where you live. One cannot generalize about either city. DC has some very safe areas, and some very dangerous ones, as does Philly. The same goes for the suburbs, some very safe ones, and ones you may not want to regular. Many of the DC suburbs are very safe such as Bethesda and Arlington.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 7,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
1. There is plenty of jobs in DC for healthcare analytics. Probably better than philly as this is really the best city for data science jobs on the east coast, especially in healthcare. I see these jobs advertised all of the time.
Thanks! why is it the best for data science? I thought san francisco is the best?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM

580 posts, read 567,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ale_na View Post
Thanks! why is it the best for data science? I thought san francisco is the best?
Presence of NIH and FDA around DC.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 AM

1,219 posts, read 968,589 times
No

Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 AM

2,696 posts, read 1,715,900 times
I think you will like DC if those are your criteria. The job market is much better and the public transit is much better.

Not a big Russian community (yet) but we have Donald J. Trump in the White House so that might change soon lol.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,135,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ale_na View Post
Not necessarily. Taking the presence of government, finance, healthcare, nonprofits, law firms, and large medical companies (Kaiser, Aetna, etc) DC is just as good. Data science is a little bit different than software development, in that it has a far broader labor market.
Most things done in DC are ultimately data oriented, so the market has high demand for jobs. It may actually be a bigger market for it in DC. The problem is a big chunk of the market is in DOD so the precise number may not be known.
I just know that nobody I know in Data science is ever hard up on finding work.
The big reason DC is kind of a large outlay is because of government, most data science jobs use government data.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM

273 posts, read 395,230 times
not a fan of Philly. move to DC, you'll be happier. not sure about a Russian community here, but I'm certain there's meetup groups for that.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
not a fan of Philly. move to DC, you'll be happier. not sure about a Russian community here, but I'm certain there's meetup groups for that.
Fairly new here, but I agree with what's expressed in this post from someone who lives in Philly and visits DC often If not for cost, I think would the move would be worth it.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriz brown View Post
i think you will like dc if those are your criteria. The job market is much better and the public transit is much better.

Not a big russian community (yet) but we have donald j. Trump in the white house so that might change soon lol.
^^Lol. But to the OP's question, Yes. DC has all of your requirements covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or