Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

Are you comparing straightening between NYC and DC, or between African American women and "black girls"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Wrong.

Dreads are not a natural hairstyle. And just like I don't have to be a woman for my voice to matter on the topic, I don't have to be black either.
Exactly. In the black community, a natural means "no perm."

Old 06-09-2017, 01:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Are you comparing straightening between NYC and DC, or between African American women and "black girls"?
I'm not comparing anything to NYC. I'm telling the uninformed on this post that the trend in DC is to go to the Dominicans and let them straighten your natural hair with heat. And then someone chimed in that there aren't that many Dominican salons in the DMV (I guess he counted all of them).

Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Exactly. In the black community, a natural means "no perm."
I still see plenty of black women in DC with perms or other unnatural hair. So all this back and forth over the definition of natural doesn't really make the OP's claim any more accurate.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Of course there are Dominican salons in DC area, do a google search:

https://www.google.com/#q=dominican+...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Old 06-14-2017, 09:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Please rec a Dominican Hair Salon in /near Herndon. I hate perms so natural but need excellent cut. I have loose curls/lots of frizz , mostly white and I'm old so thinning hair.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Long story short, if someone says so and so is rocking a natural it basically means no perm. Your definitions sound like a white person trying to explain what it means to be black. Sounds dumb.
For those unfamiliar, this is fact. Even if there is a weave, the hair underneath is still natural; even if it's twisted or locked, still natural; heat straightened? hair cut? Whatever, it's still natural.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
After a visit to DC area... i noticed alot of black girls dont relax their hair .. in Ny u always see the girls with their done to the T .. it seems in DC is seems natural is the way to go ??? Just an observation ... still beautiful
I also observed this two when I went to DC for the first time in years. I met a beautiful African American woman, wow was she hot. I had to tell her, that she is the most beautiful woman I ever saw. She had her hair kept up natural. For some reason, I love black women with her hair kept up natural. I should have gotten her number and took her out on a date. This was last year. As for women with natural hair do? My girlfriend well my ex girlfriend had her hair natural and did not use weave products. One thing that I have noticed is that both NYC and DC are elite cities. Both cities have huge field of professionals, and many of these educated professionals are black women. In both cities you will see black women in hip areas in town with natural hair styles vs weaves. Natural hairstyles seemed to be accepted in the work space nowadays. A generation ago black women had to relax their hair at the workspace. Yes in NYC people do use hair weaves, but hair weaves are mainly used in lower socioeconomic areas of NYC like the South Bronx, Northeast Jamaica Queens and Central Brooklyn East Brooklyn where large number of blacks live. Another thing I have noticed over the years is that large number of natural hair black women are in relationships with white men. I have observed in both NYC and DC. I also visited philly last year, lots of black women there sport hair weave or relax their hair.

As for me? I prefer a black woman with her natural hair. It displays beauty, confidence and how secure she feels about herself.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-14-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
After a visit to DC area... i noticed alot of black girls dont relax their hair .. in Ny u always see the girls with their done to the T .. it seems in DC is seems natural is the way to go ??? Just an observation ... still beautiful
You don't like natural hair styles?

Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM

209 posts, read 220,105 times
Quote:
A majority of the women in DC rock weaves. I see some wearing their hair natural as well and they go to the Dominicans to get it straightened.
I've frequented DC a lot and there are plenty of black women rocking their natural hair. I would guess that close to 65% of black women in the DC metro area are natural (and that's probably a low ball number, it may be higher in MD and in Nova).

As an aside, usually, it's the low income women and college girls who tend to frequent the Dominican shops for a blow out... The majority of middle/upper income black women are at the Aveda salons.

It's really not a good idea for anyone, with natural or relaxed (black) hair to get a blow out at a Dominican salon. In most instances, they use very cheap shampoos/conditioners and will totally fry the hell out of your hair. Natural black women will damage their hair's texture/curl pattern if they frequent those cheap Dominican spots. It's safe to say that 99.9% of Dominican salons have no knowledge of natural black hair.

I was a college student rubbing two pennies together back in the day, therefore I'm speaking from experience. But now, I wouldn't go to a Dominican salon, even if they provided free services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC