Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 07:00 AM

19 posts, read 23,383 times

Advertisements

Hi! I live in Colorado, and my friend is getting married in the middle of August. He has had a dream for some time now to travel to Washington DC, but has yet to make it happen. As a wedding gift, I want to make a hand-made booklet full of places to go in Washington DC, just to spur his adventurous spirit and encourage him to make the trip! The problem is I myself have never been to Washington DC and don’t know what some key spots, and the hidden treasures, would be.

To possibly guide a few of your suggestions:

He was somewhat of a hippie growing up, he likes the blues and rock and roll, think Allman Brothers, good collection of records, and he likes old school vintage cars and Harleys, he’s a welder and carpenter, a real peaceful guy, loves nature, used to work at rebuilding world war II aircrafts, he’s a very talented guitarist, and likes older music and going out for coffee or a good sour beer, he became a Christian 5 years ago, and has a very charismatic and radical faith, so really beautiful and psychedelic churches probably would be a trip for him
or just neat places that really leave a lasting impression. Also, he has a dream about building a time machine, more a fun running joke between us. (but I think a part of him really hopes he’s gonna be the one to build a functional one)

Anything anyone suggests will not go to waste. I will research it, and if it looks like a good time, I will incorporate it into my handmade gift for him. Thank you guys and gals for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,038 times
World War II aircraft. = obviously the Smithsonian National Air and Space museum http://www.si.edu. The main building is downtown on the National mall (city park) while another branch, the Udvar-Hazy Center, is on the way to Dulles Airport. Free admission to each, but parking garage fees at both sites.

Psychedelic or decorated churches= the many huge side chapels all around the perimeter of the main sanctuary of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, each have incredible intricate mosaic designs in bright colors reaching up to the ceiling, each one is very different, and each one dedicated to devotion to the virgin Mary as interpreted by different global nationalities/ cultures. Maybe you can find pictures of them, on http://www.images.google.com . Free admission, free parking. This is the largest Catholic church in the entire western hemisphere.

The American Visionary Art Museum, at downtown Baltimore harbor, It has all primitive-style works of art by untrained artists, many of them from poor backgrounds and minority races (non-white). I suppose some of them could be described as Psychedelic. Admission charge, and parking garage fee. Again, search on http://www.images.google.com

The Harley-Davidson factory tour in York, Pennsylvania. 2 to 3 hours from D.C.

Very famous, 1970s and 1980s bands and singers of different genres, often perform at the Birchmere nightclub in Alexandria, Va. in a somewhat intimate setting. Check their website.

You can read thousands of visitors' reviews and opinions of each of these sites, on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-12-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: