U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM

13 posts, read 26,292 times
Talking Job Market in DC

Hi all. I am from Michigan, and the job market here is DEAD. I graduated last summer from Wayne State (the university here in Detroit) with a Bachelors of Science in Information Systems. I worked contract at Ford for 5 years as a CAD Designer. I got laid off from there a few years ago. That led me to get my Bachelors Degree. The automotive industry is dead; I donít want any part of it anymore.

Iím thinking of moving to the DC area. I have some friends there. What is the job market like there? Iím looking to get into something in the IT field or Logistics, because I did work at UPS before I was at Ford. I donít have any real IT experience except for classroom experience. What are the chances for a person with my degree to find something there? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,404,795 times
The DC job market is known for being strong especially compared to most other major metropolitan areas. The area is a magnet for recent college grads looking to make their mark in the career world so competition is sometimes fierce, especially for law and political jobs (which you won't have to worry about). I have several friends who work for different firms doing technology consulting, your degree and experience seems like it would be a nice match for that field. Defense contractors are huge up here and it seems like the major companys are frequently hiring so that might also be something to look into. One thing to consider is that most jobs in the defense industry will require you to get a government security clearance, a process that can take several weeks. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:53 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,407,769 times
re: Clearances. Several weeks to several months depending on the level you are getting, and it is not a pleasant process (expect to lay out everything in your life on paper).

But overall, there is a good IT market in the DC area, from the smaller telcom related startups in NoVa, to Biotech in MD, and tons of government contractor positions scattered all over the beltway.

Don't think you have to find the 'perfect' job for your skills. Apply to things in which you have some of the requirements not necessarily all. Try to get in the door somewhere.

Take a look at dice.com for IT jobs in DC, and craigslist as well (also to see more on apartments and the such). It is worth noting that DC has a very expensive housing market, so expect to pay far more than you are used to paying for probably a smaller place than you're accustomed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC