U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I currently live in D.C. (Eckington to be exact). I've been living here for almost 5 years. I do like D.C. but I'm starting to feel "over it." While it is a nice, career-centric, yet expensive place to live, I do feel many of the people are the same here (the typical Type A government/consultant "what do you do?" type mentality) and I'm getting tired of that scene. When I went to NYC recently, I enjoyed seeing various individuals. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being the D.C. The level of ambition is one thing that attracted me to D.C. I just appreciate diversity when it comes to people. Anyways, I'm starting to feel that it is time for me to move on. But I'm not sure what city would be the next best place. There is a possibility that I will eventually move back to CA since my family lives there. But I would like to live in another city before making that decision. I thought about moving to NYC but I'm kind of hesitant to do so. I'm in my early 30s and feel that NYC is not a place for someone in there 30s to move to, especially if you're trying to downshift your lifestyle a little bit. With that being said, I'm interested in hearing what options I would have for places to move to. I enjoy a good music scene, good food, affordability (I would like to live on my own or at the very most have 1 roommate), decent weather, somewhere where no crazy things happen (cough, cough...Florida), easily accessible by plane, and good activities options.

In addition to living in DC, I have lived in San Jose, CA (another expensive city lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM

7,621 posts, read 8,963,068 times
Austin? except for the weather....

Old 08-08-2017, 03:20 AM

1,219 posts, read 967,991 times
Philadelphia

Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,025,200 times
I am thinking of moving to ATL/College Park, you can buy a house for how much rent costs in most cities.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,348,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelikeithawt View Post
Hey there! I currently live in D.C. (Eckington to be exact). I've been living here for almost 5 years. I do like D.C. but I'm starting to feel "over it." While it is a nice, career-centric, yet expensive place to live, I do feel many of the people are the same here (the typical Type A government/consultant "what do you do?" type mentality) and I'm getting tired of that scene. When I went to NYC recently, I enjoyed seeing various individuals. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being the D.C. The level of ambition is one thing that attracted me to D.C. I just appreciate diversity when it comes to people. Anyways, I'm starting to feel that it is time for me to move on. But I'm not sure what city would be the next best place. There is a possibility that I will eventually move back to CA since my family lives there. But I would like to live in another city before making that decision. I thought about moving to NYC but I'm kind of hesitant to do so. I'm in my early 30s and feel that NYC is not a place for someone in there 30s to move to, especially if you're trying to downshift your lifestyle a little bit. With that being said, I'm interested in hearing what options I would have for places to move to. I enjoy a good music scene, good food, affordability (I would like to live on my own or at the very most have 1 roommate), decent weather, somewhere where no crazy things happen (cough, cough...Florida), easily accessible by plane, and good activities options.

In addition to living in DC, I have lived in San Jose, CA (another expensive city lol).

I don't feel the level of ambition is high here at all for the most part. It seems government workers are extremely lazy. I remember when I first moved here some jackass had the tenacity to tell me she was a GS-14 and that I was supposed to be impressed. I had to google what it was and realized its a job grade for government employees. I can't say I wasn't impressed as my salary blows away hers and I'm in private industry so I was clueless what she was talking about. I think the ambition piece comes down to government workers wanting to get to a higher pay grade for the most part. However, I'm not impressed as my overall annual compensation is higher than an ES.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM

20,203 posts, read 28,238,032 times
Quote:
Hey there! I currently live in D.C. (Eckington to be exact). I've been living here for almost 5 years. I do like D.C. but I'm starting to feel "over it." While it is a nice, career-centric, yet expensive place to live, I do feel many of the people are the same here (the typical Type A government/consultant "what do you do?" type mentality) and I'm getting tired of that scene. When I went to NYC recently, I enjoyed seeing various individuals. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being the D.C. The level of ambition is one thing that attracted me to D.C. I just appreciate diversity when it comes to people. Anyways, I'm starting to feel that it is time for me to move on. But I'm not sure what city would be the next best place. There is a possibility that I will eventually move back to CA since my family lives there. But I would like to live in another city before making that decision. I thought about moving to NYC but I'm kind of hesitant to do so. I'm in my early 30s and feel that NYC is not a place for someone in there 30s to move to, especially if you're trying to downshift your lifestyle a little bit. With that being said, I'm interested in hearing what options I would have for places to move to. I enjoy a good music scene, good food, affordability (I would like to live on my own or at the very most have 1 roommate), decent weather, somewhere where no crazy things happen (cough, cough...Florida), easily accessible by plane, and good activities options. In addition to living in DC, I have lived in San Jose, CA (another expensive city lol).
The Northeast is largely the same with varying shades of gray. For a real change you'll need to leave the region and given a desire for decent weather I would eliminate the Sunbelt and it's "surface of the sun-six month summers" from your list. If you can swing a four month-long winter cities like Chicago, Denver or Minneapolis offer great diversity in terms of demographics and occupation, relative affordability in comparison, yet still offer a professional lifestyle nowhere near as dialed up or pretentious as DC. If winter is off the table I would recommend Atlanta which has attracted a lot of Northeasterners for it's healthy job market, diversity, low cost of living and fairly nice climate most of the year. It does get hot for a couple of months (like most anywhere else in the US) but it's certainly not to the extent of Texas.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,203,441 times
Quote:

I grew up in this area and up until 10 years ago, the DC area didn't really seem like this. It became a big millennial transient city lately, and you're right. In the dating scene, all the women have the same kinda "I'm in the govt, I do things!" mentality. Gets old. NYC feels kinda cool, but super crowded and way more transient than here. I considered it, but I like having some space.

If I had to pick, I'd pick Seattle or Denver, with more of a preference for Seattle. People seemed more laid back, chill, yet still had some ambition.

I also considered Portland Oregon, but it was a bit TOO much for me. Too many people either on drugs, or full of the "SJW" type of people everywhere.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM

1,387 posts, read 600,855 times
Crabby whiners don't really fit in anywhere as far as I know.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM

22 posts, read 21,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I grew up in this area and up until 10 years ago, the DC area didn't really seem like this. It became a big millennial transient city lately, and you're right. In the dating scene, all the women have the same kinda "I'm in the govt, I do things!" mentality. Gets old. NYC feels kinda cool, but super crowded and way more transient than here. I considered it, but I like having some space.

If I had to pick, I'd pick Seattle or Denver, with more of a preference for Seattle. People seemed more laid back, chill, yet still had some ambition.

I also considered Portland Oregon, but it was a bit TOO much for me. Too many people either on drugs, or full of the "SJW" type of people everywhere.

I 2nd the suggestion on moving to Seattle. I lived there for a couple of years and it's a great city! The people are smart, laid back and not arrogant like a lot of the people in DC. Also, they dress down in Seattle, so you don't know who are the high-income earners. It's less stressful because there isn't pressure to keep up with appearances...not that they dress like slobs in The Emerald City.

If not Seattle, then Austin would be my 2nd choice.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 600,855 times
The trees are backwards. It drizzles all the time. You'll be living next to the equivalent of Mt. Vesuvius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or