Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 PM

27 posts, read 53,949 times

Advertisements

I recently landed a government job in downtown D.C. and looking to move for a shorter work commute. I live out in the suburbs (Fairfax County) and was looking to remain on the VA side by relocating to an apartment off the Rosslyn-Ballston metro line. However, now I'm thinking about actually moving into the city, but I do not know where specifically to look.

More about me: Single, Child-free, Pet-free, late 30s, not big into the night life and party scene but not dead either.

I'd prefer a place within a few blocks away from a metro station and grocery store. A very safe neighborhood is top priority for me! Also, if such a place exist in DC, I'd like to live in an area where there is a sense of community and people are genuinely friendly (not fake and only care about networking with "important people").

I was told to look at places off of U Street and the Shaw neighborhood. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
U St and Shaw I would not recommend very nightlife centric and transient.
What I would recommend at this point is anything on the western leg of the red line considering what you are looking for. Probably DuPont, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, etc. Capital Hill would also likely fit.

They would all fit what you are looking for.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd290 View Post
I'd prefer a place within a few blocks away from a metro station and grocery store. A very safe neighborhood is top priority for me! Also, if such a place exist in DC, I'd like to live in an area where there is a sense of community and people are genuinely friendly
Cleveland Park would be the best fit in my opinion which has everything you could want within blocks (Brookville Supermarket, Yes! Organic Market, Walgreen's and CVS, Vace's Deli for the best pizza, dozens of great restaurants and bars, Firehook Bakery-Coffee and the Loew's Movie Theater). I would also urge you to opt out of large apartment buildings which are known for resident anonymity. Cleveland Park has a number of smaller buildings (two to four story) where people are much more inclined to become neighbors versus scurrying in/out of their apartments. Here's some examples:

Washington D.C. | Cleveland Park Apartments | Your Home Awaits
The Macklin Apartments
https://www.daroapartments.com/properties/the-parkwest/
https://www.daroapartments.com/properties/the-rodman/
https://www.wcsmith.com/apartments/klingle/

Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Budget? Bringing a car with you? Very important questions.

1400 U Street is "the place" to live. Most people cant afford it though.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM

27 posts, read 53,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Budget? Bringing a car with you? Very important questions.

1400 U Street is "the place" to live. Most people cant afford it though.
I can willing to pay up to $2600 monthly rent including all utilities and parking fee. I have a car and do not plan on giving it up.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
I recently landed a government job in downtown D.C. and looking to move for a shorter work commute. I live out in the suburbs (Fairfax County) and was looking to remain on the VA side by relocating to an apartment off the Rosslyn-Ballston metro line. However, now I'm thinking about actually moving into the city, but I do not know where specifically to look.

More about me: Single, Child-free, Pet-free, late 30s, not big into the night life and party scene but not dead either.

I'd prefer a place within a few blocks away from a metro station and grocery store. A very safe neighborhood is top priority for me! Also, if such a place exist in DC, I'd like to live in an area where there is a sense of community and people are genuinely friendly (not fake and only care about networking with "important people").

I was told to look at places off of U Street and the Shaw neighborhood. Any other suggestions?

You mirror me as far as everything above. I've been in DC for going on 6 years now and my recommendations would include these DC neighborhoods:

1) Chevy Chase
2) Woodley Park
3) Cleveland Park
4) Glover Park

Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 PM

282 posts, read 444,184 times
Also consider Mt. Vernon Triangle. There's a good-sized Safeway there, and a lot of apartments and condos for rent. Most have parking garages, though of course you'll have to pay extra for parking. Gallery Place and Convention Center metro stops nearby.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Also consider Mt. Vernon Triangle. There's a good-sized Safeway there, and a lot of apartments and condos for rent. Most have parking garages, though of course you'll have to pay extra for parking. Gallery Place and Convention Center metro stops nearby.

This area is my go to spot for hanging out. Definitely not quiet though.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:

Based on your preferences, definitely NOT U St or Shaw, those hoods are much more nightlife/party centric.

I'm early 30s and was looking for a lot of the things you listed. I live in Hill East, right by the Potomac Ave metro. 15min walk to Eastern Market/Barracks Row which has lots of bars, restaurants, etc. I have 2 grocery stores a 5min walk away. My neighbors are great, everyone is super friendly.

I'd def recommend the Capitol Hill neighborhoods!

Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 PM

282 posts, read 444,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
This area is my go to spot for hanging out. Definitely not quiet though.
Get a unit on the sides of the buildings that face away from the party streets. For instance, in the City Vista complex, each building has units that overlook a quiet garden space rather than the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: