Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think you're understanding what has been asked of you. The Wharf was blank space. The area's you mentioned along 14th street and in DuPont have buildings that were built decades ago and for some buildings centuries ago. From a construction standpoint, you will never see that type of construction built again because the construction costs are cost prohibitive in 2017. Having said that, the question posed is asking how could any greenfield "empty parking lots" development build something that you would like when there aren't any older buildings in the development area which was the case with the Wharf?

It seems people with your opinion across the country usually dislike new development that isn't infill because it's not mixed in with older buildings. I guess a better question would be how do you design a development to look like it was built in the 1910's?
Precisely, because with his mentality this would mean that no new "greenfield" or base development has any chance at success with authenticity of design. From now on throughout history in Washington DC, unless it is a part of a rowhome community etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
An interesting article about architecture/street-level experience at the Wharf:

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...ecture/542934/

Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
I don't think you're understanding what has been asked of you. The Wharf was blank space. The area's you mentioned along 14th street and in DuPont have buildings that were built decades ago and for some buildings centuries ago. From a construction standpoint, you will never see that type of construction built again because the construction costs are cost prohibitive in 2017. Having said that, the question posed is asking how could any greenfield "empty parking lots" development build something that you would like when there aren't any older buildings in the development area which was the case with the Wharf?

It seems people with your opinion across the country usually dislike new development that isn't infill because it's not mixed in with older buildings. I guess a better question would be how do you design a development to look like it was built in the 1910's?

And you still are making up things that I have never said and have trouble understanding what I posted. The part that I bolded is LITERALLY you putting words into my posts that I have never said. I never said I dislike new developments or want them to look old. All I'm saying is that the Wharf looks cookie-cutter-ish to me and has that planned community vibe...which is what it is. That's it. Like how RTC was a planned development and how CityCenter is. I've never said there's anything wrong with it. The only thing I said negatively about the entire thing is that I would not pay to live there, but to each their own.

I AGREE with everything what you're saying. I never said "i hate the wharf" nor have I ever said "lol it's new and it sucks". I LIKE the Wharf and I like the look of it and it's about time DC did something with that space. Again, re-read my posts, I've been saying that all along. And Chris, I never said anything bad about it being planned...of course DC and everything around here has been planned.

Stop reading into something that I again, have never said, folks...I agree with your points.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 10-19-2017 at 07:10 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
When I arrived in DC the first time (late 60's), walking up 14th Street from K to U was a bit like playing soccer in the streets of Aleppo. Your life insurance premiums made their way ever higher as you continued the northward trek. I suppose the "edge" of such a past can years later emerge as a twinkle in the eyes of young-fogies, taken then as somehow marking an area as "organic" in its present state, but pardon me if I see all that as just a useless overlay of invented nonsense. Neighborhoods were what they once were, and they are what they now are. And ne'er the twain shall meet.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:46 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I finally visited the Wharf yesterday. Sorry detractors, but that place is the bomb. DC should have had a waterfront marina like this a long time ago. Nice view of the Monument as well.

Can’t wait to see what it will look like when the development gets finished.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Just returned from the Wharf. In a word, "Incredible" and it is probably the most unique in the entire country. I can't think of another waterfront that checks as many boxes as the Wharf does here in DC.

Right up on the water, you have:

Concert Venues
Clubs
Bars
Restaurants
Hotels
Residences
Office space
Retail
Fish Market
3 Piers with activities on them and active usable space

And this is just Phase 1.....

Does anyone know of any other waterfront with all these entities 50 feet from the water? I was trying to think of one in other cities, but I have never seen this type of package. Thoughts?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

209 posts, read 235,055 times
Quote:
Just returned from the Wharf. In a word, "Incredible" and it is probably the most unique in the entire country. I can't think of another waterfront that checks as many boxes as the Wharf does here in DC.

Right up on the water, you have:

Concert Venues
Clubs
Bars
Restaurants
Hotels
Residences
Office space
Retail
Fish Market
3 Piers with activities on them and active usable space

And this is just Phase 1.....

Does anyone know of any other waterfront with all these entities 50 feet from the water? I was trying to think of one in other cities, but I have never seen this type of package. Thoughts?
Idk, inner harbor in Baltimore, Embarcadero in San Francisco?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:16 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I finally visited the Wharf yesterday. Sorry detractors, but that place is the bomb. DC should have had a waterfront marina like this a long time ago. Nice view of the Monument as well.

Can’t wait to see what it will look like when the development gets finished.
I was there yesterday. I visited during the day and went back in the evening. It was packed beyond belief. The Wharf is an instant success. People around the city are talking about it, and word is getting around that it's the place to be. And, it is indeed that.

Phase 2 will elevate DC's waterfront scene even higher. It will likely be among the best ones in the country.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Idk, inner harbor in Baltimore, Embarcadero in San Francisco?
The inner harbor in Baltimore doesn't check all the boxes. No open air fish market and no concert venues. Also no piers with recreational programming that take you out on the water. I'm not familiar with San Fran as much, does it have those things right on the water?

Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM

209 posts, read 235,055 times
Quote:
The inner harbor in Baltimore doesn't check all the boxes. No open air fish market and no concert venues. Also no piers with recreational programming that take you out on the water. I'm not familiar with San Fran as much, does it have those things right on the water?
It's really a long boardwalk with farmers markets and a big food hall. I guess the Wharf is really in a class of its own. Really interested for Phase 2 and the whole sw neighborhood as a whole, even Buzzard Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: