U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,482 posts, read 3,013,136 times

Advertisements

I'm going to just go ahead and say it, not to be the pessimist, but Amazon is not locating HQ2 in DC proper. I don't think the city proper at least, will even make the short list. With that said all of these developments being posted are very ambitious and need to/should still happen for the city. If that is the case, what types of companies/headquarters could we possibly see filling in some of these developments REALISTICALLY?

NOMA/Burnham Place
Capitol Riverfront
Poplar Point
Hill East/RFK

etc. etc. etc.?

I still want and expect to see progress in most of these sites without the addition of Amazon, so any ideas as to why type of companies may fill these sites, tech, law firms? We need to diversify this city's economy badly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM

2,696 posts, read 1,720,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm going to just go ahead and say it, not to be the pessimist, but Amazon is not locating HQ2 in DC proper. I don't think the city proper at least, will even make the short list. With that said all of these developments being posted are very ambitious and need to/should still happen for the city. If that is the case, what types of companies/headquarters could we possibly see filling in some of these developments REALISTICALLY?

NOMA/Burnham Place
Capitol Riverfront
Poplar Point
Hill East/RFK

etc. etc. etc.?

I still want and expect to see progress in most of these sites without the addition of Amazon, so any ideas as to why type of companies may fill these sites, tech, law firms? We need to diversify this city's economy badly.
DC's main advantage is proximity to the Federal Government which has proven to be a good buffer during bad economic times. Companies see security in DC.

However, you don't need to be in DC proper to get the benefits of that security, along with good public transit. So Amazon might still end up in VA or MD if they choose this area.

What city do you think Amazon will choose if you had to guess?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM

123 posts, read 104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
DC's main advantage is proximity to the Federal Government which has proven to be a good buffer during bad economic times. Companies see security in DC.

However, you don't need to be in DC proper to get the benefits of that security, along with good public transit. So Amazon might still end up in VA or MD if they choose this area.

I think Boston. Maybe Denver.
My dark horses are Bmore, Philly, and Detroit.
However, I think DC area has a really good chance

Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:

The whole guessing game has been killing me to watch the internet go crazy. I have no idea until we get even more specifics than what was provided in the RFP. I think they go East Coast, medium COL area, possibly outside of a top 10 metro.

If outside a top 10 metro, maybe Baltimore, Raleigh, Charlotte.

If they want a top 10 I believe the DC region has a shot as a whole, but in city proper they would choose somewhere like Philadelphia, idk it's anybody's guess.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:29 PM

9,591 posts, read 10,932,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The whole guessing game has been killing me to watch the internet go crazy. I have no idea until we get even more specifics than what was provided in the RFP. I think they go East Coast, medium COL area, possibly outside of a top 10 metro.

If outside a top 10 metro, maybe Baltimore, Raleigh, Charlotte.

If they want a top 10 I believe the DC region has a shot as a whole, but in city proper they would choose somewhere like Philadelphia, idk it's anybody's guess.
This is probably something most people have no clue about living in DC, but we have one of the most lucrative tax break incentive packages in the entire US for tech companies.

DC Tech Company Incentive Package

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,720,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
I think Boston. Maybe Denver.
My dark horses are Bmore, Philly, and Detroit.
However, I think DC area has a really good chance
Detroit doesn't have a chance in hell.

I can see Denver. It has the space. I don't know if Boston has the space. Also don't know what Boston offers that DC doesn't.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Detroit doesn't have a chance in hell.

I can see Denver. It has the space. I don't know if Boston has the space. Also don't know what Boston offers that DC doesn't.
Just spitballing based on all my reading. Detroit would be interesting as a city revitalization project. Boston because that is initially where execs wanted to go many years ago. Denver was picked by the NYT, with DC and Boston in second and third place. Although, Denver is bidding a suburban development site despite having the space downtown. IDK, The DC area as a whole has a pretty good chance. It's a place that would appeal to tech workers a lot and is more of a world-class city than Seattle.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is probably something most people have no clue about living in DC, but we have one of the most lucrative tax break incentive packages in the entire US for tech companies.

DC Tech Company Incentive Package
This is huge, and I think I heard you mention it somewhere here first. I know about Facebook, and Yelp setting up shop. I'm just hoping that regardless of Amazon landing here or not, the city could maybe pull in three or four more smaller headquarters to fill in those mega-developments, that incentive package being key.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Interesting article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...der/776883001/

Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Good article, and that very last quote has me thinking kind of differently now because it makes a lot of sense:

"If Amazon is looking for a place that is going to be relevant 100 years from today, a place that's growing, a place that transportation wise, that is already thinking and implementing things in terms of how it can continue to grow, we feel like we are going to be the best place for Amazon."

I believe this is very true, which IMO this means those trendy picks of places that are just currently on a "hot streak" like Nashville, Charlotte, and possibly Austin, etc may not stand a chance with the big boys.

Alternatively, Baltimore is in such a unique position due to it's proximity to the Washington talent pool at maybe half the price, plus it looks like Hogan is willing to throw the book at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or