Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 10:40 AM

850 posts, read 1,121,070 times

Advertisements

So I come in from the commuter bus out of town. I'm dropped off at 1st and Independence right in front of the Library of Congress. I usually walk all the way up first street to around Union Station. I was thinking of buying a cheap bike and locking it up on the bike rack that is in front of the Capitol. Then locking it around Union Station. So when I go home I will have locked up in front of the Capitol again.

I asked a DC police officer about this and he indicated that is fine and legal as long as I don't leave any packages on it. He indicated that bike thefts are not common and that there are cameras everywhere.

What do you guys think?

Also what bikes are best. I'm aware of the Bikeshare programs ($1.00) per use etc..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,482,838 times
The Capitol police patrols that area like nobody's business. I remember once tripping on a curb near the east front of the Capitol, and two officers were there before I even knew what happened.

The best bike racks to lock to are those that are used frequently; I'd recommend the ones in front of LOC's Madison Building. Union Station is a bit rougher; maybe your office has bike storage.

Get a cheap used bike, and a very sturdy lock from a bike shop. My "beater bike" for a while was a 1970s girl's bike purchased from Phoenix Bikes in Arlington -- it was rainbow-colored, which no self-respecting bike thief would ever be seen on, and it had a chain guard (a metal case over the chain), so the chain wasn't prone to rust and I didn't have to worry about grease stains on my pants. The only maintenance I did all year was to top off the air in the tires, which you can do at the Union Station bike shop.

I knew someone who did the opposite walk (Union Station to House side) and usually used a Razor scooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC