Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,290 times

Advertisements

I’ve been reading this forum, as well as the mandated “sticky” post about moving to DC. I’ve gotten some good advice I’d never considered on my own, such as the fact that a graduate degree won’t make you stand out here (very helpful), that I shouldn’t move to DC without at least 6 months of “comfortable” savings, and the absolute need for a government internship for the kind of work I’m looking to do.
My goal is to live in DC since most of the agencies that do the kind of work I am interested in operate out of that area or abroad, even though most federal jobs are elsewhere in the U.S.
Since I don’t have 6 months of savings to back up a move, and no employment lined up there, I am thinking of just living somewhere cheaper where I have a few connections, such as Texas, and get relevant experience or more training in my field (Geographic Information Systems), and then try to line up a job in DC before I move. Perhaps I could even get a federal job outside of DC and then transfer to DC after some time. I currently live in CA but CA has the high costs similar to DC but without the same opportunities, therefore I am working at a low wage and in need of relevant experience in the form of an internship. Optimally, I would move to DC immediately and get an internship since I have a degree but not experience, but this is not feasible due to COL in DC. Also I may have to re-enroll in school since I am no longer a student and internships are mainly given to students. My question is about a long term strategy for securing employment in DC. My main interests are foreign affairs, particularly Middle Eastern affairs and geography, I actively study the Hebrew and Farsi languages and have traveled to the region twice. I have to find another way to get experience in this field even though the sorts of jobs that exist in DC in my interest are practically unheard of anywhere else. What should I do? My mom just secured employment in DC for 50k a year but since I am 32, I don’t want to leech off her employment as things will already be tight for her as it is and I’m trying to branch out on my own.
I’m single with no attachments except for a home church I hold very dear and have attended since I was a teenager, and I admit that breaking this bond will be hard. Finding a new church in DC would be priority number one for me because not only is religion important to me but it’s the way I build meaningful community in my life, branch out to other opportunities, and learn about people. I find I genuinely connect with religious people more than people without religious affiliation, which makes me odd in my age bracket, and maybe even more so in a place like DC. I am wondering how the political orientation of the city impacts its spiritual practice. In addition to church, I am also very excited by the museums and historical significance of the place along with the employment.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Your best bet if you want to live in DC is to try to secure a contracting job. A full time federal job may be much harder to secure.

Also with regards to church, realize that outside of black people DC is not a very religious city. In fact church is NOT a good way to find community in the city if you are white. Sunday brunch, and secular social activities are. If you connect more with deeply religious people, you will struggle in this city. Contrary to popular belief DC is not the south, and definitely not the bible belt. It is a full blown secular northern city culturally. Where the most religious people are black folks. Otherwise you are better talking about science than you are about religion. We are basically turning churches into condos and grocery stores in the city and really see no problem with that. It is a far better use of the space in my opinion.

If you connect better with religious people than secular ones, you are looking at the wrong city to come to. Being very religious will have a negative effect on your social life.

Likewise with regards to political affiliation, the city voted 95% for Clinton in the last election. I think that is all you really need to know. So liberalism is deep. Likewise the city has one of the highest LGBTQ populations in the country, 10% of the city identifies as LGBTQ.

The city is basically an east coast version of SF in terms of the white community. Basically, liberal, secular, and highly educated.

I hate to break it to you there is a major cultural difference likely from where you come from and cities on the west coast and Boston-Washington corridor. This really is a far more secular area than religious one. Do not let the party in power on the capitol fool you. There is a major difference between the city itself and that.

From everything it is sounding like DC will be a massive culture shock to you. It is not just the higher cost of living, but so much more. Especially if you choose to live in the city or inner ring suburbs.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,290 times
Wow...didn’t know about the hostility to religion in DC. It helps me plan my future. Religious practice and study is a big part of my life so I may need to change course. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniel1718 View Post
Wow...didn’t know about the hostility to religion in DC. It helps me plan my future. Religious practice and study is a big part of my life so I may need to change course. Thanks for your input.
Lot's of churches in DC. Many to choose from. People don't wear religion on their sleeves here like they do in other places, but you'll not have trouble finding a church community. There are about a dozen in walking distance from my house.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniel1718 View Post
I’ve been reading this forum, as well as the mandated “sticky” post about moving to DC. I’ve gotten some good advice I’d never considered on my own, such as the fact that a graduate degree won’t make you stand out here (very helpful), that I shouldn’t move to DC without at least 6 months of “comfortable” savings, and the absolute need for a government internship for the kind of work I’m looking to do.
My goal is to live in DC since most of the agencies that do the kind of work I am interested in operate out of that area or abroad, even though most federal jobs are elsewhere in the U.S.
Since I don’t have 6 months of savings to back up a move, and no employment lined up there, I am thinking of just living somewhere cheaper where I have a few connections, such as Texas, and get relevant experience or more training in my field (Geographic Information Systems), and then try to line up a job in DC before I move. Perhaps I could even get a federal job outside of DC and then transfer to DC after some time. I currently live in CA but CA has the high costs similar to DC but without the same opportunities, therefore I am working at a low wage and in need of relevant experience in the form of an internship. Optimally, I would move to DC immediately and get an internship since I have a degree but not experience, but this is not feasible due to COL in DC. Also I may have to re-enroll in school since I am no longer a student and internships are mainly given to students. My question is about a long term strategy for securing employment in DC. My main interests are foreign affairs, particularly Middle Eastern affairs and geography, I actively study the Hebrew and Farsi languages and have traveled to the region twice. I have to find another way to get experience in this field even though the sorts of jobs that exist in DC in my interest are practically unheard of anywhere else. What should I do? My mom just secured employment in DC for 50k a year but since I am 32, I don’t want to leech off her employment as things will already be tight for her as it is and I’m trying to branch out on my own.
I’m single with no attachments except for a home church I hold very dear and have attended since I was a teenager, and I admit that breaking this bond will be hard. Finding a new church in DC would be priority number one for me because not only is religion important to me but it’s the way I build meaningful community in my life, branch out to other opportunities, and learn about people. I find I genuinely connect with religious people more than people without religious affiliation, which makes me odd in my age bracket, and maybe even more so in a place like DC. I am wondering how the political orientation of the city impacts its spiritual practice. In addition to church, I am also very excited by the museums and historical significance of the place along with the employment.
Thanks.
If I were you, I wouldn't pay attention to what people tell you. Some people are risk averse, negative, etc. With that said, everyone is going to have different viewpoints of what you should do. At the end of the day, its up to you. Obviously it would be wise to have savings and some kind of game plan to just up and move to an area you're not familiar with. You have plenty of options. Find a place to live with multiple roommates and get a full-time job in the hospitality industry (bartender/waiter) for quick cash. This could be easier said than done without experience but its a thought. If you have a car, sell it. This could give you some cash to potentially make a move to DC easier. Where this is a will, there is a way.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:59 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Strictly regarding career, the market for GIS graduates, and data analysts more broadly, is strong here; I regularly wish I'd paid more attention in that class. For instance, it's ESRI's second-largest base in the US (besides Redlands). It is indeed much easier to get hired as a contractor than as a fed, and recruiting here seems to rely heavily on staffing agencies who just skim your resume for relevant credentials.

Regarding religion, I can't say from personal experience but there certainly are tightly knit communities of faith in the area -- just mostly in the suburbs.* I suspect that's more housing prices than anything else; religious people tend to have larger families, and space is much cheaper outside the District proper. Just because religiosity isn't a usual part of political discourse here doesn't mean that everyone's irreligious.

However, I doubt that this particular forum will be much of a help with finding a church for you.

* 90% of the time, "try looking in the suburbs" is a valid retort to anyone's complaints about diversity in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: