U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM

229 posts, read 325,002 times

Advertisements

Trying to move to DC and looking for the smartest way to do that.. What's an average price for a room with a private bath in a shared house or apartment in the West part of town? I will be working in Georgetown. Any ideas on how to save money on housing? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 05:35 AM

20,204 posts, read 28,238,032 times
I would suggest looking across the Key Bridge in Rosslyn where the quality of your housing dollar will go further, averaging around $1000-$1200 a month in most locations to "share". The Circulator Bus makes frequent trips (every 10 minutes) through Rosslyn and down M Street, one of two primary streets in Georgetown.

Dupont Circle-Georgetown-Rosslyn | Washington D.C. Circulator

Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 PM

2,036 posts, read 2,134,124 times
What is your price range. Affordability is subjective based on income.
The reality is the part of town Georgetown is in is very expensive. As is almost all of the city west of Rock Creek Park. You need to come in with the realistic expectation that DC is much more expensive than any other city you ever lived in, unless you lived in SF or NYC.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 AM

1,387 posts, read 600,855 times
There are more affordable areas and less affordable areas. In Georgetown (20007), median household income is just over $100K, but there is quite a difference between those who are over and under the age of 45. As with anywhere, you'd need to look at the individual costs and benefits of individual opportunities.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,348,505 times
You're going to be hard pressed to find "affordable" places to live in NW. SW away from the Wharf would be your best bet.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 12,364 times
I also work in Georgetown and recently moved to Petworth which cut my commute considerably coming from NoVA. Georgetown is about the last place you should be looking for an affordable place. It along with Dupont Circle are one of the few places people who've never been here have heard about and will cost you major $$$. If you plan on staying in NW, I'd suggest a neighborhood that isn't on the Metro to get a bit more bang for your buck. Glover Park and the Palisades are excellent, quiet neighborhoods walking distance or a short bike ride from Georgetown that are also much more affordale (for rentals that is). There are also options on the Red Line if you still would like to take the metro to work for example, despite their snooty reputations, the Chevy Chase/ Tenlytown/Cleveland Park areas all have good rental options in the $1,200-$1,800 (buying there is a completely different story!). All have metro access and are relatively walkable neighborhoods, the only drawbacks are that as 'established' neighborhoods the tend to skew older and can be a bit sedate compared to the rest of the city and you won't find a lot of new restaurants around here.

A third option and would be to move to the younger, more up and coming neighborhoods most of which lie on the Green or Red Lines. Columbia Heights and Petworth in particular are great diverse neighborhoods with close access to most of Downtown and Georgetown, yet are far more affordable, walkable and have metro access and great food and nightlife scenes and are also pretty safe. Essentially what Dupont Circle used to be 15 years ago. Also worth checking out are Adams Morgan, Bloomingdale/Eckington and the Brookland/Michigan Park are which imo are some of the city's best kept secrets. Good luck!
Mod cut: please wait with links until you have at least 10 post.

[mof]

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2017 at 03:37 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,348,505 times
I live in Chevy Chase and it's much friendlier than any other area I have lived in. Just go to the Safeway there. Everyone knows everyone and I have yet to run into any snooty people. Most of the snooty people in DC are the newcomers or the transient people (lots of pretenders).

Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,942 times
I also vote living in NoVa. Rosslyn is just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown (I walk across it 3 days a week) but has studios/1 BRs available for ~$1200-1300, which is much cheaper than anything you'll find west of 17th street in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or