U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,596,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So in early June my wife and I are flying into Reagan on a Saturday evening, and connecting out of Dulles the next morning (points wise, it worked out to be most efficient by a wide margin). That being said, I'm trying to think of a simple, yet cost effective method of getting between the two. For reference, we are staying at a hotel on the night before our next flight within a couple miles of Dulles, so a shuttle provided by the hotel, or Uber would work fine in that instance. However, I'm not sure if there is some type of regular shuttle bus between Reagan and Dulles that would work. In looking at transit options, it appears I would have no problem reaching downtown from Reagan by train, but that from what I can see, we would have to disembark there (Rosslyn Station). We would be slightly worried about safety with that, being that we will be at Rosslyn Station after dark. But also, it could be a longer (twice as long), confusing and exhausting process for two travelers that, the next day, are flying to LAX, and straight on from there to NRT. Has anyone else done this before? If so, what would be our best approach? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,974,500 times
Washington Flyer bus (shuttle) - every hour (perhaps more often). It picks up at National and drops you in front of Dulles. You can get the hotel shuttle from there.

You could also take the train to Whiele Station and get an uber from there (about 5 miles from the airport). However, I don't recommend this option because it is a hassle.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Does it go non stop? When I searched it on Google it showed it only going from Dulles to the Wiehle Reston metro station.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,496 posts, read 3,028,220 times
It's not a "hassle" but taking Silver all the way out to Wiehle is close to a direct option. There typically is a shuttle bus at Wiehle Reston that takes you straight to Dulles. I have never waited for that shuttle longer than 5 or 6 mins.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 18,992,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Does it go non stop? When I searched it on Google it showed it only going from Dulles to the Wiehle Reston metro station.
In 2020, Metro will have a stop at Dulles. Until then, you have to use Wiehle Ave. I think the Washigton Flyer bus from National to Dulles is best.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Could you provide a link for the nonstop between National and Dulles?

Silver Line Express Bus to Metrorail Station | Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

It doesn't mention a shuttle all the way between the airports, but perhaps I am looking at the wrong thing

However, this would still seem to make things more doable though.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM

Looks like they stopped the old Washington Flyer bus between National and Dulles. You would need to take the blue line to Rosslyn or the Yellow line to L’enfant and transfer to the silver line to Wiehle ave metro and catch the bus there. There’s also the Metrobus 5A from L’enfant that is express to Dulles.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 PM

All of those steps and the increased time they involve, sound like exhausting prospect for us, given that we are getting in at 9 pm and leaving at 7 the next am. If the full shuttle no longer goes, are there any other options like a group shuttle? Or should we just bite the bullet and take a 60-70$ Uber. Seems worth it at this point.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,341,792 times
To be honest, not many people fly into DCA to connect out of Dulles or vice versa- Given the timeline you just mentioned, I honestly would just bite the bullet and grab an Uber. It's too bad you couldn't just fly into Dulles and connect onto one of their direct flights to Tokyo or fly into DCA and then to LAX and NRT but using miles tends to result in these longer than necessary travel options. Save you sanity, take an Uber or taxi, get to your hotel near Dulles at a decent hour and rest up for your next big day of travel.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 AM

There's uber, taxi, or Super Shuttle, and another private company that has a bus listed on National Airport's transportation page. I don't think Metro is a lot of steps. The yellow line to L'enfant and then the 5A bus is not that many steps. It does take a little longer though, and you have to carry your luggage from the train to the bus. If that's too much, take a cab or uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or