U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:32 PM

1,260 posts, read 3,332,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
They are cheaper for a reason. Grab your Yugo, lava lamps, and Sears furniture on your way to the cheaper suburbs.
Yea- The real cheap 'suburbs' of N. Arlington or Bethesda or Silver Spring. This complex people in DC have with close-in Virginia and Maryland really cracks me up. DC is about as urban as Hoboken, NJ but that never stops the masses (especially new transplants) from acting like it is Manhattan on the Potomac. But keep calling DC 'The City' though if that helps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM

148 posts, read 416,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The Virginia annual car tax is not that much unless you have a luxury vehicle but it is something to factor in. Virginia also requires annual safety inspections and Maryland does not. Other than that, finding a spot in Arlington will be the same as finding a spot in Bethesda or Silver Spring as again, there are far more similarities than differences between these two jurisdictions. I would focus more on commuting distance to work/ school/ etc.

Is there a website to estimate the tax I would pay?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,713,306 times
Quote:
Yea- The real cheap 'suburbs' of N. Arlington or Bethesda or Silver Spring. This complex people in DC have with close-in Virginia and Maryland really cracks me up. DC is about as urban as Hoboken, NJ but that never stops the masses (especially new transplants) from acting like it is Manhattan on the Potomac. But keep calling DC 'The City' though if that helps..
For good reason though. DC is the closest thing to Manhattan in this area. So DC is "the city" both technically and factually.

And people who say DC is less urban than places like Manhattan are usually focused mostly on the height of buildings which I always find funny/absurd. Skyscrapers really have nothing to do with how urban a place is. Density is what determines how urban a place is.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
Quote:
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. DC is the city around here. Stop hatin.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,348,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
I moved to DC from California. I having a really hard time deciding where to claim residency.
I will be going to school in DC and it will be cheaper if I change to DC/MD/VA. However, the thought of losing representation makes me sad. So, I am leaning towards becoming a resident of MD or VA. What are the pros and cons of MD vs VA? I will be working near Georgetown if that helps.

I've always based my decision of where I feel most at home. The tax implications as a whole aren't very different unless you're in a very high income bracket. In that case, MD and DC will have a higher income tax bill compared to VA. VA has an excise tax on cars whereas MD and DC don't. You really have to take a look at your income, homeowner or renter, and if you have a car. That way you have all the information you have to make a more informed decision.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM

187 posts, read 393,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
They are cheaper for a reason. Grab your Yugo, lava lamps, and Sears furniture on your way to the cheaper suburbs.
Oh, for crying out loud. These stereotypes are as dated as when some retiree living on a golf course in Loudoun County talks about how "dangerous" DC is and makes jokes about 14th Street like there are still street walkers and open air drug markets like back in the 80s. LOL Arlington's basically an extension of DC, especially along the R-B corridor.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,986,547 times
I haven't seen anything quite as sophisticated as a tax calculator, but here's something kinda close:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/l...ens/Dashboard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
I moved to DC from California. I having a really hard time deciding where to claim residency.
I will be going to school in DC and it will be cheaper if I change to DC/MD/VA.
You can continue to "claim residency" in California for the purposes of voting, as long as you're a full-time student. However, many of us who care about local politics in DC vote here, and volunteer on nearby GOTV efforts to help influence national politics.

Even though Georgetown was once part of Maryland (it predated the establishment of the District), today it's much easier to get to from Virginia.

Needless to say, you can't live in DC but claim residence in Virginia without having some tie to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or