Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 AM

149 posts, read 496,702 times

Advertisements

I moved to DC from California. I having a really hard time deciding where to claim residency.
I will be going to school in DC and it will be cheaper if I change to DC/MD/VA. However, the thought of losing representation makes me sad. So, I am leaning towards becoming a resident of MD or VA. What are the pros and cons of MD vs VA? I will be working near Georgetown if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
If working near Georgetown (and not wanting to live in DC proper) then I would choose Virginia- specifically the Rosslyn or Courthouse neighborhoods in N. Arlington. Rosslyn can be a bit 'sterile' at times but you can simply walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown or just Metro/ Uber/ Cab to other close-by parts of N. Arlington's Orange Line corridor or various DC neighborhoods when looking to go out. N. Arlington is also closer to the monuments, museums, downtown, etc. As a general rule Virginia taxes are less than those in Maryland, especially at the higher income levels but Virginia does have a personal property tax on vehicles so keep that in mind. Other than that, I think you are going to find far more similarities than differences between the two, especially when talking about neighborhoods closest to the District.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
If working near Georgetown (and not wanting to live in DC proper) then I would choose Virginia- specifically the Rosslyn or Courthouse neighborhoods in N. Arlington. Rosslyn can be a bit 'sterile' at times but you can simply walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown or just Metro/ Uber/ Cab to other close-by parts of N. Arlington's Orange Line corridor or various DC neighborhoods when looking to go out. N. Arlington is also closer to the monuments, museums, downtown, etc. As a general rule Virginia taxes are less than those in Maryland, especially at the higher income levels but Virginia does have a personal property tax on vehicles so keep that in mind. Other than that, I think you are going to find far more similarities than differences between the two, especially when talking about neighborhoods closest to the District.
I think you are right. I think I will do Arlington.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Picking a place to live based upon taxes is really short sighted. Armpit country is always cheaper.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Picking a place to live based upon taxes is really short sighted. Armpit country is always cheaper.
That's your opinion- some people enjoy keeping more of their hard earned money. And I wasn't saying it should be the only reason, but it does play a role. Arlington/ Bethesda/ Silver Spring, are all hardly 'armpit country' - I've lived in both DC and Arlington, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
That's your opinion- some people enjoy keeping more of their hard earned money. And I wasn't saying it should be the only reason, but it does play a role. Arlington/ Bethesda/ Silver Spring, are all hardly 'armpit country' - I've lived in both DC and Arlington, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
They are cheaper for a reason. Grab your Yugo, lava lamps, and Sears furniture on your way to the cheaper suburbs.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
You should claim residency wherever you own property. If you don't own property, claim it wherever your car is registered. If you don't have a car, do whatever you want lol.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
You should claim residency wherever you own property. If you don't own property, claim it wherever your car is registered. If you don't have a car, do whatever you want lol.
I haven't moved my car here yet. This was my next question. Where is it better to have a car Maryland or Virginia.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
I haven't moved my car here yet. This was my next question. Where is it better to have a car Maryland or Virginia.
Maryland.

I Virginia has an annual car tax.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 PM

The Virginia annual car tax is not that much unless you have a luxury vehicle but it is something to factor in. Virginia also requires annual safety inspections and Maryland does not. Other than that, finding a spot in Arlington will be the same as finding a spot in Bethesda or Silver Spring as again, there are far more similarities than differences between these two jurisdictions. I would focus more on commuting distance to work/ school/ etc.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-14-2018 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC