Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 06:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times

Advertisements

All of you posting about D.C. forgetaboutit. You have top 3 traffic congestion and more expensive land/COL than Seattle. Warehouse space where? You aren't a hub-city for any airline. Intermodal? Nah. East of the Mississippi, Philly, Raleigh and Atlanta should be the top choices due to COL, transportation ease, better weather (NC and GA). I would go for Philly or Raleigh along the eastern seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Again, no it's not. Amazon's Seattle campus is downtown, but you can't compare Seattle to DC in terms of miles because Seattle is a bigger city than DC to begin with (DC is 61 sq mi vs Seattle's 84 sq mi). The only ones saying anything outside of DC is far are the ones who don't have cars and hardly leave DC. There are people who commute from West Virginia daily to drive into DC for work, so 25-30 miles from the city is hardly far.

Many Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd in NoVA already, so I'm not sure why you'd think Amazon building a campus in NoVA would be considered that far out. These companies are already moving out to the Fairfax/Loudoun areas whether you want to admit it or not, it's already happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...thern_Virginia

The overwhelming majority of those companies listed are NOT Fortune 500 companies. Mars likely would be but its family-owned/private. Capital One is. Some are well known but not large enough to qualify. I lived in D.C. very VERY few was driving from West VA. We are talking 120 miles daily roundtrip, a minimum of 30,000 miles annually.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Amazon said these employees will be high up on the pay scale. I'm sure they will get paid enough to absorb any high cost of living.

Just like Amazon is factoring in COL, why would they SERIOUSLY want to move to a more expensive metro than Seattle? Name me the last time a major corporation moved significant staff to a HIGHER cost area than where they left? Amazon is keeping D.C, NYC, Boston in the mix SOLELY for marketing and negotiation reasons.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Agreed that’s why I’m siding with Newark if Amazon even gives the NYC metro a chance!

The ONLY other rival is metro NYC!? LMAO. Take off those pompous Rose-Colored glasses. I sure hope once Amazon makes a choice they list in order of preference where metro D.C. and metro NYC place.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Atlanta has a compelling case. They are at the top of a lot of lists. THeir two issues are a not-so-liberal state political environment and traffic. Everyone has heard about Atlanta's traffic. I passed through on vacation once and it took us literally 40 minutes to go 2 miles. And that was just on a random day. Nothing special going on in town.

That's also the issue with D.C. I've lived in both metro areas. Both are similar in that core city is smaller than the suburbs in population. metro D.C. has more public transportation but also a million more people plus you got Baltimore 40-45 miles away, adding to congestion. That's why it outranks Atlanta in bad traffic. Now I give metro D.C. the edge in at least trying real hard compared to Atlanta but weather and cost of living beat it. Also D.C. has two airports whereas Atlanta has one, so there is more convenience.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
That's also the issue with D.C. I've lived in both metro areas. Both are similar in that core city is smaller than the suburbs in population. metro D.C. has more public transportation but also a million more people plus you got Baltimore 40-45 miles away, adding to congestion. That's why it outranks Atlanta in bad traffic. Now I give metro D.C. the edge in at least trying real hard compared to Atlanta but weather and cost of living beat it. Also D.C. has two airports whereas Atlanta has one, so there is more convenience.
DC has three airports.

-DCA
-IAD
-BWI

Old 02-11-2018, 02:48 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Just like Amazon is factoring in COL, why would they SERIOUSLY want to move to a more expensive metro than Seattle? Name me the last time a major corporation moved significant staff to a HIGHER cost area than where they left? Amazon is keeping D.C, NYC, Boston in the mix SOLELY for marketing and negotiation reasons.
Name any company that has moved to NYC, Boston, LA, San Francisco, D.C., etc.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
The ONLY other rival is metro NYC!? LMAO. Take off those pompous Rose-Colored glasses. I sure hope once Amazon makes a choice they list in order of preference where metro D.C. and metro NYC place.
It’s only sun glasses to you because you have poor comprehension. Get off that NYC sack and understand what’s being said.

Not sure where you got the “the only rival is a NYC metro” rant from. NYC most likely won’t get Amazon so I’m rooting of Newark/DC/Philly!

Do you understand now sack lover?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
The overwhelming majority of those companies listed are NOT Fortune 500 companies. Mars likely would be but its family-owned/private. Capital One is. Some are well known but not large enough to qualify. I lived in D.C. very VERY few was driving from West VA. We are talking 120 miles daily roundtrip, a minimum of 30,000 miles annually.
Keyword, you LIVED in DC. You don't now. DC is very much different even 2 years ago than it is today.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
I don't think Amazon cares about COL or traffic congestion. That isn't really their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC