Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Amazon is smoking crack if they don't choose DC.

Its not even a bias I have towards DC because I live here. I honestly believe DC is the best choice out of all the cities.
The Atlanta side of the site begs to disagree. Their thread on this has over 200+ pages and they are convinced it will be them. As for me I’m pushing for Newark/DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion.

But based on the criteria Amazon listed.. DC just makes the most logical sense.

Boston and Chicago lose points for location IMO. DC offers everything and it has close proximity to many other metro areas. The only other city that rivals DC's value is NYC. However, like I said in an earlier post, NYC is so obvious that I would expect Amazon to just move there from the start without going through this bidding war. Everyone knows what NYC offers. If you're not choosing NYC right out the gate.. there must be a reason.
Agreed that’s why I’m siding with Newark if Amazon even gives the NYC metro a chance!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
The Atlanta side of the site begs to disagree. Their thread on this has over 200+ pages and they are convinced it will be them. As for me I’m pushing for Newark/DC
Atlanta has a compelling case. They are at the top of a lot of lists. THeir two issues are a not-so-liberal state political environment and traffic. Everyone has heard about Atlanta's traffic. I passed through on vacation once and it took us literally 40 minutes to go 2 miles. And that was just on a random day. Nothing special going on in town.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Atlanta has a compelling case. They are at the top of a lot of lists. THeir two issues are a not-so-liberal state political environment and traffic. Everyone has heard about Atlanta's traffic. I passed through on vacation once and it took us literally 40 minutes to go 2 miles. And that was just on a random day. Nothing special going on in town.
Yea whenever I visit my cousin I do my activities on non rush hour times.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
There's a good bit of objectivity on that thread as well; several folks there realize that there other cities that have just as good a chance as Atlanta.

Honestly, I've not found too much boosterism in the local threads I've visited about HQ2--except maybe one or two posters who are usually resident boosters anyway.

Quote:
Those two negatives would be the same for NoVA, but it's not quite as conservative and has a more comprehensive rail system.

But as I've said elsewhere, Amazon itself would be the game-changer that would help 'fix' these issues. It will draw a ton of left-leaning workers and will cause state and local leaders to plan for big infrastructure upgrades.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Atlanta's public transit sucks compared to DC, NYC, Chicago and Boston.

Transit is one of the criteria.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Atlanta's public transit sucks compared to DC, NYC, Chicago and Boston.

Transit is one of the criteria.
But it's better than several other cities that made the final cut.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a good bit of objectivity on that thread as well; several folks there realize that there other cities that have just as good a chance as Atlanta.

Honestly, I've not found too much boosterism in the local threads I've visited about HQ2--except maybe one or two posters who are usually resident boosters anyway.

Those two negatives would be the same for NoVA, but it's not quite as conservative and has a more comprehensive rail system.

But as I've said elsewhere, Amazon itself would be the game-changer that would help 'fix' these issues. It will draw a ton of left-leaning workers and will cause state and local leaders to plan for big infrastructure upgrades.

NoVA has been basically all liberal the last 10 years so Amazon wouldn't really change anything, in that regard. I think the only parts of VA that are still red are the small rural counties out in central/western VA.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
NoVA has been basically all liberal the last 10 years so Amazon wouldn't really change anything, in that regard. I think the only parts of VA that are still red are the small rural counties out in central/western VA.
I meant with respect to Georgia.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But it's better than several other cities that made the final cut.
If Amazon chooses Atlanta, my head might explode.

The reasoning would be very interesting to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC