Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM

149 posts, read 496,618 times

Advertisements

I am racking my brain to find somewhere to live under $800.
I only make $2400/month for now.
I am a female in my early 30s.
Any suggestions on where to live?
I need to commute to Georgetown everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
Most grad students will just take out loans (not always the best idea in the long term), and many have no income like you do, so it's doable. If you're able and want to take out a small amount of student loans for housing, it could be worth it. Living comfortably (not lavishly) in terms of your commute and living situation will probably result in an easier grad school experience.

If you're set on paying no more than $800, then I'd look at Craigslist. You'll likely be sharing with many people or in a basement apartment in a house. Also because of your salary, many apartments have a few units available to those with limited income and you would likely qualify (although I'm guessing those would get snatched up pretty quickly).

Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,515 times
It will be tough first off but here are a few options:

1. Become a Dorm graduate assistant
2. Get side gigs. Make sure your expenses are covered in the 2400 and pick up a low hour job to supplement your SPENDING money. I worked as a tutor for elementary kids. A few years ago I worked 8-9 hours a week but made $25/hour. The good thing is that it was a low stress enjoyable experience helping poor kids (in my case) and supplemented my income
3. Search The university’s resources to live with other grad students. At least they are more likely to be responsible and quiet at night.
4. Commute far. I don’t recommend it but many do live in a cheaper area and drive in outside of high traffic hours

The other suggestions posted earlier are valid as well. Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
Easy. Get a roommate or two or three. People definitely make it work. My friend was a professional who paid $800/month in Ballston and shared a large house with 3 or 4 females I believe. It may be a struggle to find the same kind of setup in DC proper but you can also look to Arlington and look for shared rooms.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
they don't really "live" in DC, they are transients in DC, they stay there long enough for the internship/political campaign to run through and have a large enough bucket of money to last through that long

else the ones that work in DC, live outside of DC and commute there

Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,838 times
Its called roommates.

Want to live the fancy life on the cheap? Not gonna happen.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,943 times
Sadly, the best thing to do is to do what everyone else suggested and to just get a roommate for a few years, or live out farther like Woodbridge or Stafford and drive into work.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Sadly, the best thing to do is to do what everyone else suggested and to just get a roommate for a few years, or live out farther like Woodbridge or Stafford and drive into work.
Agreed. The OP got the same advice in another recent thread, and she acknowledged that a shared apartment/ roommates are the way to go.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post50568157

A quick search on Craig’s List shows a decent amount of rooms to rent for $800 around the DC area, in some fine locations (DC proper, silver spring, college park, Gaithersburg, Alexandria, fairfax).

Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Most graduate programs here have evening classes, because many of the students have full time jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: