Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,083 posts, read 7,480,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Which is much more to offer than DC. DC's culture is....oh look, a Happy Hour on U Street. Or the Jazz Garden in the summer lol.
It's a bit more than that,

H Street Festival, Broccoli city, Trillectro, to name a few. I still miss DC Caribbean carnival down GA Ave. DC has plenty of "hip" stuff, but never gets the recognition associated to it's name like other places. I think that's because those cities seek to brand themselves as "hip" or "cool".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM

738 posts, read 1,106,201 times
[quote=sonnymarkjiz;50951652]Which is much more to offer than DC. DC's culture is....oh look, a Happy Hour on U Street. Or the Jazz Garden in the summer lol.

Do you really think that's what it's all about? lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 AM

7,078 posts, read 9,530,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

H Street Festival, Broccoli city, Trillectro, to name a few. I still miss DC Caribbean carnival down GA Ave. DC has plenty of "hip" stuff, but never gets the recognition associated to it's name like other places. I think that's because those cities seek to brand themselves as "hip" or "cool".
THat's half of it folks. Marketing and branding. But cities attract different people for different reasons. Me personally, a viable candidate to apply for a position at Amazon, would NEVER move to Austin to work for Amazon. I don't care how hip or cool people think it is. I've never been to Austin, but I'd guess their hip and cool is not my version of hip and cool. ETc.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:02 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,754 times
Quote:

Honestly, those events just involve a lot of booze and that's about it. It's just a bunch of contractors and gov't workers on the hill getting drunk with some cover bands. I wouldn't really call that hip...certainly not compared to a place like Austin or Nashville where those places have their own style and vibe.

DC is like that kinda dorky kid in the back of a classroom whos trying to be cool and hip by inviting the cool kids over his empty parents house for some beers. DC is trying to be edgier, but it's just not hip very much at all. It's getting there, though.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 02-07-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM

37,831 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
THat's half of it folks. Marketing and branding. But cities attract different people for different reasons. Me personally, a viable candidate to apply for a position at Amazon, would NEVER move to Austin to work for Amazon. I don't care how hip or cool people think it is. I've never been to Austin, but I'd guess their hip and cool is not my version of hip and cool. ETc.
Why?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,083 posts, read 7,480,081 times
Quote:
Honestly, those events just involve a lot of booze and that's about it. It's just a bunch of contractors and gov't workers on the hill getting drunk with some cover bands. I wouldn't really call that hip...certainly not compared to a place like Austin or Nashville where those places have their own style and vibe.
There are some events in DC that are like that, but the events that I've listed I don't notice a majority of people fitting into that category at all.

I think this is where the difference of understanding "Black DC" and the rest of DC. There certainly are events/places to hang out for the bulk of the either young black crowd or urban professionals in DC, as well as your typical contractors and hill workers.

Again DC will never get promoted as a city other than full of "govt contractors" to outsiders, no matter how much there is going on. Which will keep this perception that you stated which I deem to be false "there is nothing else going on in DC."

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM

126 posts, read 117,027 times
Quote:
There are some events in DC that are like that, but the events that I've listed I don't notice a majority of people fitting into that category at all.

I think this is where the difference of understanding "Black DC" and the rest of DC. There certainly are events/places to hang out for the bulk of the either young black crowd or urban professionals in DC, as well as your typical contractors and hill workers.

Again DC will never get promoted as a city other than full of "govt contractors" to outsiders, no matter how much there is going on. Which will keep this perception that you stated which I deem to be false "there is nothing else going on in DC."
Don't forget the "DC Cool" campaign the city had a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvzd3g2T18

https://washington.org/press/Washing...n-with-DC-Cool

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,754 times
Quote:

There are, but compared DC to places like Austin and Nashville, there is definitely much more happening in those cities with their own sense of style/culture to them that DC does not. I fit into the black DC category and besides a few places, there really isn't much. The black DC faded when the go-go music scene died out and got replaced with coffee shops and hipster bars in gentrified neighborhoods.

Again, DC is getting better, but it's not really "hip", least compared to other cities. But it's getting there and better each year. There's stuff to do, but it's not hip.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:

The CEO of the company we are talking about is building a $20+ million dollar home in DC. There's SOMETHING going on in DC where he would spend time. He could very well build a home in Austin and fly to DC for brief meetings, etc. if there was nothing going on in DC. He wouldn't invest that much into a home that he wouldn't spend that much time in. That's just my opinion.

This is bigger than cover bands and music festivals.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There are, but compared DC to places like Austin and Nashville, there is definitely much more happening in those cities with their own sense of style/culture to them that DC does not. I fit into the black DC category and besides a few places, there really isn't much. The black DC faded when the go-go music scene died out and got replaced with coffee shops and hipster bars in gentrified neighborhoods.

Again, DC is getting better, but it's not really "hip", least compared to other cities. But it's getting there and better each year. There's stuff to do, but it's not hip.
Hip is all about perspective anyway right? What is hip to you may not be hip to me. I just don't hear a lot of people trying to make it to Austin because of its hipness. There are jobs there. That's the bottom line for most people I think. If Austin had its hipness but no jobs, I'm not sure it would be on anyone's list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC