Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 AM

229 posts, read 462,988 times

Advertisements

I will admit this is a good problem to have.. having to decide between two offers... But I am trying to gather information & opinions about both MedStar Washington and MedStar Georgetown hospitals... any personal experiences among the posters on this forum? I did some research, looked at ratings, but would like to hear individual stories, if any..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,242 times
I worked in DC for 4 years in the healthcare industry and still live in DC. I've been to both hospitals several times for meetings and have toured both. I would choose WHC any time. The reason being, I find the staff and physical plant at Georgetown to be poor. The staff I have encountered at Georgetown has always been cold. There isn't much turnover at the hospital so you have the same leadership you have always had which I think is a negative. The building itself is also unattractive. My experiences with WHC staff and leadership has always been positive and the buildings are much more attractive.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I worked in DC for 4 years in the healthcare industry and still live in DC. I've been to both hospitals several times for meetings and have toured both. I would choose WHC any time. The reason being, I find the staff and physical plant at Georgetown to be poor. The staff I have encountered at Georgetown has always been cold. There isn't much turnover at the hospital so you have the same leadership you have always had which I think is a negative. The building itself is also unattractive. My experiences with WHC staff and leadership has always been positive and the buildings are much more attractive.

Thank you for your opinion! If you don't mind, I'd like to ask more.. How difficult is it to commute to these hospitals? Is one of them more accessible than the other?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Thank you for your opinion! If you don't mind, I'd like to ask more.. How difficult is it to commute to these hospitals? Is one of them more accessible than the other?

Thanks!

Just depends where you live. WHC has a much more central location in DC. Plenty of parking options and such. Georgetown also has a parking garage but it is insanely expensive. I'm not sure how it works for employees though. I'm not a Georgetown fan so I'm going to be biased to WHC's location. Other people will tell your Georgetown. However, the location is away from all the fun activity in Georgetown unless you enjoy campus life (the hospital is on campus).

Old 01-31-2018, 11:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
What exactly will your job be? I'm a firefighter in the city and I'm very familiar with the Emergency Departments.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
What exactly will your job be? I'm a firefighter in the city and I'm very familiar with the Emergency Departments.
Staff nurse. I am trying to get an idea of what the work culture is like at both hospitals, how easy it is to get there, etc

Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM

From my own observations, the CEO and President have been there for a long time as well as a lot of the other hospital leadership. Their reputation is ok. The hospital is old but I know they're going through construction/renovations. With the leadership being cold it definitely trickles down and the turnover is much lower compared to WHC. I guess that can be both good and bad depending on the circumstances.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Staff nurse. I am trying to get an idea of what the work culture is like at both hospitals, how easy it is to get there, etc
I haven't been through much of either hospital other than the ERs but I prefer WHC. It's a larger medical campus with hospitals such as Children's, the VA, a rehab facility and a Level 1 Trauma Center. There's definitely a lot going on. As someone else mentioned, it's about as centrally placed in DC as a place can be. There's no metro stop at either but there's plenty of parking at WHC. I've always liked the staff there as well. The nurses usually pair with our DC Firefighters Burn Foundation for fundraisers which is a lot of fun.

Do you know where you want to live? That could make a difference as well.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM

You also have a huge advantage if you pick one or the other and don't like it. You can transfer. Nurses are in such high demand. Perhaps go PRN at both to start and see which one you like better rather than committing to a full-time role. As a Nurse, you definitely have that option. I also prefer GW Hospital to Georgetown. To me, Georgetown is the unfriendliest hospital in DC and this is coming from someone who has been to all of them for work related purposes and still works with them, just with no regular visits anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC