Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

wusa9.com | DC's population hits 700,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Many of those are just transients who will empty out the city during the holidays.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Many of those are just transients who will empty out the city during the holidays.
Don’t most people leave to visit family during the holidays? What exactly do you think people do in all cities? They go see their parents in other cities. What point were you trying to make?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:25 AM

741 posts, read 1,112,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Don’t most people leave to visit family during the holidays? What exactly do you think people do in all cities? They go see their parents in other cities. What point were you trying to make?
Looks like the person was trying to downgrade/diminish the scope of this achievement in DC's population gain. Not surprised. It won't work with the informed folks here but nice try.

I lost interest when I saw.... Many of those are just..... [insert snarky comment here].

DC is just...... [insert snarky comment here].

Last edited by revitalizer; 02-24-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 AM

209 posts, read 234,758 times
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of people thinking DC is full of people who come for a bit and leave. Sure we've got plenty of those as does any major city. DC will eventually crowd 1 Million people and you guys will still say that those people are here for a bit. When will it end? People are moving here and many are opting to put down roots as evidence by the number of strollers crowding sidewalks and the amount of young families in Petworth and Brookland.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM

741 posts, read 1,112,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
I'm sick and tired of people thinking DC is full of people who come for a bit and leave. Sure we've got plenty of those as does any major city. DC will eventually crowd 1 Million people and you guys will still say that those people are here for a bit. When will it end? People are moving here and many are opting to put down roots as evidence by the number of strollers crowding sidewalks and the amount of young families in Petworth and Brookland.
With all the people leaving according to a narrow, anecdotal view of some people's interpretation of DC's demography, you would think the population would be decreasing. But, it isn't. It's rising because more people are coming and/or staying than leaving. This isn't rocket science.

Last edited by revitalizer; 02-24-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 01:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
Quote:
Do you live in DC?

Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,966 times
Quote:
Who cares?

The population is still 700,000 and rising. People travel and move around. So what? They are still living in DC and paying the taxes.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
??? Huh? I've lived here all my life and was born and raised here. Christmas time and Thanksgiving is basically empty during the holidays. Most people who move here are here for their jobs and visit their families on holidays....

There's seriously nothing bad or wrong about that. Many people who are in DC now aren't from here, but moving here for jobs and DC is growing and people are staying...which is a good thing. Job growth=Population growth...this isn't hard to understand.

Edit: Also, DC is the 4th transient city in the US as of late 2016. So I'm not sure what you're "sick and tired" of because I'm not just "thinking", these are just facts. But good to see that more people are staying here since this study.

https://dc.curbed.com/2016/11/30/137...-dc-washington

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 02-25-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Who cares?

The population is still 700,000 and rising. People travel and move around. So what? They are still living in DC and paying the taxes.
I never said anything negative or bad about it other than what I stated...so...

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 02-25-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: