Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
DC vs. NYC

DC is cleaner
DC is cheaper
DC has milder winters
More free museums
Parking is better (can you believe it?)

DC vs. SF

DC is cheaper
DC has better public transit
More free museums
3am last call for bars instead of 2am
Better job market
No "real" earthquakes
People in DC are better looking (can you believe it?)
I love how so many people on City Data place so much value on a 3AM vs. 2AM last call at the bar. That extra hour in the wee hours of the night/morning must really be worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:04 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
New York City and Washington DC are my 2 favorite U.S. cities. Washington DC has a lower COL and a more stable job market connected to the federal government. And there are always plenty of things to do in the region.

That works out well for me.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
What is "better"? It's all a matter of opinion. I think NYC sucks personally. I think DC is better than both because it's my opinion. Better for me from a career standpoint, I prefer a midsize city to a large city, beautiful architecture, etc. Every time I see someone post about how amazing SF and NYC are and want to compare them to everywhere else I want to puke.
The main thing that spoils NYC is the price tag and congestion. Constantly waiting on long lines for nonsense. Dealing with large crowds. Events selling out too fast. Dirt and grime. Higher stress levels.

The city forces you to "rush" or you miss the boat. That makes it suck.

What good is all the marvel of NYC if you have neither the time or the money to enjoy it? A restaurant can have the best Steak in the country. But if I have to pay $500 to eat that steak and wait in line for 5 hours.. is it really worth it?

And that's why I live in DC.

Heck.. you can visit NYC every weekend while living in DC and you would probably see more of the city and enjoy more of the city than your average New Yorker. AND spend less money at the same time. DC is significantly smaller than NYC and there is loads of stuff in DC I still haven't seen or done.

I love NYC. Its that hot and sexy but unstable girlfriend you can never completely trust. And that's the problem.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
NYC is too big fo me. Too many people. It always feels crowded. And NYC feels and smells dingier. You will not believe the rat infestation in NYC. TOns of trash gets put on the curb at night.

DC is more touristy. And by that, more things are "on display" in DC. I also like DC's architecture and the height restriction. Coming into DC from 395 South is always a pleasant view. I like the fact that there are two rivers that flank DC which provides a nice amenity for boaters and people who like to sit out and eat dinner with an awesome river view.

The one thing that I wish DC had more of is performing arts. DC lacks that NYC music scene. Although more venues are being built and more restaurants are including live music in DC.

NYC has better food options naturally. You have to feed 8 million people somehow.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
NYC is too big fo me. Too many people. It always feels crowded. And NYC feels and smells dingier. You will not believe the rat infestation in NYC. TOns of trash gets put on the curb at night.

DC is more touristy. And by that, more things are "on display" in DC. I also like DC's architecture and the height restriction. Coming into DC from 395 South is always a pleasant view. I like the fact that there are two rivers that flank DC which provides a nice amenity for boaters and people who like to sit out and eat dinner with an awesome river view.

The one thing that I wish DC had more of is performing arts. DC lacks that NYC music scene. Although more venues are being built and more restaurants are including live music in DC.

NYC has better food options naturally. You have to feed 8 million people somehow.
Agree.

DC will have more performing arts in the future. The city is adding and growing constantly, which forces it to become more diverse as well.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Saw this on an auto forum this morning. Yes, the NYC rat problem is real. lol

Rats Cause Car Fire in NYC, Tony Hawk Swoops In To Record It - The Drive

Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Also, I know a number of people from the Bay Area living here. I can't tell you how many times they tell me the DC area is a better look for Black people, on many levels.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Also, I know a number of people from the Bay Area living here. I can't tell you how many times they tell me the DC area is a better look for Black people, on many levels.
What do you mean?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
What do you mean?
Supposedly the Bay Area is racist.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
What do you mean?
Everything, nightlife, culture, upward mobility in the workforce, blacks in key political or local gov't positions etc. I do personally know a couple of young blacks making a very good living in the Bay Area. However, the general sense I get it that place is less of a haven for blacks than the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC