Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,633,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Everything, nightlife, culture, upward mobility in the workforce, blacks in key political or local gov't positions etc. I do personally know a couple of young blacks making a very good living in the Bay Area. However, the general sense I get it that place is less of a haven for blacks than the East Coast.
Hmm interesting. I spent a lot of time out there ad never really got that vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,512,404 times
Quote:
Everything, nightlife, culture, upward mobility in the workforce, blacks in key political or local gov't positions etc. I do personally know a couple of young blacks making a very good living in the Bay Area. However, the general sense I get it that place is less of a haven for blacks than the East Coast.
Blacks can succeed in any major U.S. city if they have what the job market there is looking for.

The problem with a lot of minorities is they automatically assume its a bad environment for them if they don't see loads of people like them. Which makes sense in some ways, but is stupid in other ways.

Barack Obama saw only white males as President. He ran anyway. Hilary Clinton saw only males as President. She ran anyway. Learn from that.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,607,412 times
I've heard the Bay Area is a total sausage fest as well. All nerdy male techies and such. Personally, I love DC. I've been here for 6 years and it's home. I love the architecture, have made great friends here, the food culture has drastically improved, and the city is gentrifying like crazy. Also, in my industry, I make the most money in the DC Metro Area. If I were to move to SF or NYC I would take a pay but for a higher cost of living which doesn't make any sense. I may whine about the people in DC from time to time but overall the people are fine.

Also, I think Chriz Brown and I may go to the same spots. I was at Dirty Habit last week I believe and someone mentioned his friend Chriz Brown was coming by. May be a different person though.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:10 AM

289 posts, read 628,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Blacks can succeed in any major U.S. city if they have what the job market there is looking for.

The problem with a lot of minorities is they automatically assume its a bad environment for them if they don't see loads of people like them. Which makes sense in some ways, but is stupid in other ways.

Barack Obama saw only white males as President. He ran anyway. Hilary Clinton saw only males as President. She ran anyway. Learn from that.
Of course people CAN succeed wherever they go. The guy was talking about feeling comfortable where there is a larger community of his own people. It's human nature to seek out community. It's nothing to scold people for.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,959,201 times
Cherry Blossoms.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,057 posts, read 7,449,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

That doesn't mean that there can't be one metro area that is better or has more opportunities/ upward mobility for minorities or blacks in general. DC metro has about 3 times more blacks than SF area. In fact the DC-Baltimore CSA has more blacks than the entire state of California.

I'm sure I could succeed if I moved to SF too, because I would be driven to do so, but once you look at the COL there vs the rest of the U.S., coupled with how well Blacks do in other parts of the country. I get why people say it's not a haven for Black people.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:39 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,702,790 times
I have lived in both DC and NY. Ultimately, I prefer New York as it is more exciting and interesting, but it's also a whole different paradigm.

DC is cheaper although it ain't the bargain it used to be back in the day. Mostly it is more "manageable" and less stressful than New York.

Having said that, both cities are moving in the same direction- massive gentrification and all that entails.

I love SF but have only visited.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Of course people CAN succeed wherever they go. The guy was talking about feeling comfortable where there is a larger community of his own people. It's human nature to seek out community. It's nothing to scold people for.
Its nothing to scold people for UNTIL it becomes an excuse not to excel or try new things.

I understand that most people are not very brave and like to stay in their comfort zone. But lets all it what it is. Being somewhat of a chicken.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That doesn't mean that there can't be one metro area that is better or has more opportunities/ upward mobility for minorities or blacks in general. DC metro has about 3 times more blacks than SF area. In fact the DC-Baltimore CSA has more blacks than the entire state of California.

I'm sure I could succeed if I moved to SF too, because I would be driven to do so, but once you look at the COL there vs the rest of the U.S., coupled with how well Blacks do in other parts of the country. I get why people say it's not a haven for Black people.
Meh.

Is DC really better for blacks or is that just an illusion created by the higher numbers?

If the SF area had the same number of blacks the DC area has.. are you telling me those blacks would not do as well? They might even do better for all you know.

Don't forget that correlation and causation are not the same thing.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:47 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,633,754 times
Quote:

I still haven't really heard about Blacks not really doing well in the Bay Area, though. When I was there I saw more homeless white hippies than I did blacks. I agree with Chris, I think anyone can do well anywhere, just depends on the mindset. SF may just be a whiter city than DC to begin with. Unless you're talking about Oakland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC