Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I would say I use "Sterile" some say cookie-cutter or conformist, for the types of people this city attracts not the aesthetics or physical infrastructure.
Ok, because I always hear people describe areas with newer construction/development that way.

I'm always thinking to myself: What? Not enough rats and roaches for you?

There is also this annoying trend where people just hate on new construction overall. Like anything that wasn't built 100 years ago isn't authentic. I don't know where this idea came from that a everything in a city should be old and crusty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Ok, because I always hear people describe areas with newer construction/development that way.

I'm always thinking to myself: What? Not enough rats and roaches for you?

There is also this annoying trend where people just hate on new construction overall. Like anything that wasn't built 100 years ago isn't authentic. I don't know where this idea came from that a everything in a city should be old and crusty.
new construction can be attractive - but it isn't like you see hordes of modern styles in dc.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
new construction can be attractive - but it isn't like you see hordes of modern styles in dc.
People blame the height limit, but I call BS.

There is no reason we can't have something like this in DC:
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/s...20-%20shanghai

Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Great point about the boroughs outside of Manhattan.

But the COL in NYC was only one factor I was pointing out. I think living in NYC is more trouble than its worth because my lifestyle would be less comfortable than it is in DC. I'm past the age where "roughing it" feels like an adventure.

I was actually planning to move to NYC four years ago. I stayed in DC because I found a better job. When I noticed DC was improving at a rapid pace in terms of amenities I decided screw NYC. Something new opens up in DC basically every week. And new women move to DC basically every day. I never get bored here so why leave?
I’m actually open to coming to DC after I graduate in the next two months.

Either stay in NYC or go to Philly or DC!

Old 03-25-2018, 09:05 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
People love to throw the term "sterile" around ever since gentrification started.

I would like to get a better idea of what people mean. Low crime? Clean? Comfortable?
It usually means that a place is attracting a lot of White, upwardly-mobile transplants and the local culture is slowly fading away. The longtime neighborhood establishments start to give way to a bunch of national chains and the area begins feeling like an urban version of "Anywhere USA."

Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It usually means that a place is attracting a lot of White, upwardly-mobile transplants and the local culture is slowly fading away. The longtime neighborhood establishments start to give way to a bunch of national chains and the area begins feeling like an urban version of "Anywhere USA."
Yeah, that's exactly what is happening in most U.S. cities right now.

To what degree is this a bad thing? That's another conversation.

Personally, I really like diversity. Especially when it comes to food, people and cultural events. At the same time, if a local culture is not helping to drive the economic engine of that city, maybe it needs to go.

I think most people would agree we never want to go back the the culture of the 1800's. Everything runs its course and eventually has to die if it can no longer bring value. I've never believed in preservation for the sake of preservation. Its like keeping a non-performing employee on a job just because they were there for a long time.

Ben's Chili bowl is one of my favorite examples. It continues to thrive because it continues to bring value.

However, I believe cities need diversity. I don't want to see DC become all white and all chains. But I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
The longtime neighborhood establishments start to give way to a bunch of national chains and the area begins feeling like an urban version of "Anywhere USA."
My understanding is that there are far more non-chain restaurants today in DC and also in the suburbs than there have ever been before.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
At the same time, if a local culture is not helping to drive the economic engine of that city, maybe it needs to go.
What do you mean by that? Obviously no one is talking about the explicitly negative aspects of local culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My understanding is that there are far more non-chain restaurants today in DC and also in the suburbs than there have ever been before.
And at the same time, it's very likely that there are also a lot more chain restaurants today in DC and the suburbs than there have ever been.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:56 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
I believe the European White, Asian and Gay populations have all seen an increase in DC. I remember reading an article stating this.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:58 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that? Obviously no one is talking about the explicitly negative aspects of local culture.

And at the same time, it's very likely that there are also a lot more chain restaurants today in DC and the suburbs than there have ever been.
It's probably both, with DC having more chains and mom&pop restaurants then ever before. DC didn't have this many restaurants before. There is definitely alot more options and variety today then ever in DC. DC's food scene has recently gotten famous, even garnering it's own Michelin Guide, being the 4th US city to get one. So overall, today is an improvement over yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC