Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ethiopian cultural center of gravity?
DC 2 15.38%
MD 7 53.85%
VA 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It’s pretty silly. Neighborhoods change all the time. If that one block or a few blocks is straight up Ethiopian businesses then there should be no shame in it being called Little Ethiopia

116th is considered little French Africa in Harlem. Wonder if that same issue will occur if they ever want an actual designation!
Why should it be recognized as an Ethiopian neighborhood but not an African American one when African Americans have been there longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Why should it be recognized as an Ethiopian neighborhood but not an African American one when African Americans have been there longer?
Little Ethiopia in LA is also not located in an “Ethiopian” community and neither is Little Italy in the Bronx located in an “Italian” comminity.. Little doesn’t have to be the whole area. It can literally be just the specific streets that Ethiopians own.

116th St in Harlem is called Little French African despite Harlem having much more African Americans. Just because one street is called Little Ethiopia doesn’t mean the whole community becomes “Little Ethiopia”.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM

92 posts, read 141,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ethiopian Population (2016)

Montgomery: 14,431
Fairfax: 10,402
Alexandria: 6,337
DC: 5,962
PG County: 4,413
Prince William: 2,778
Arlington: 2,355
Howard: 803
Loudoun: 343
Charles: 234
Those numbers seem so small. I see Ethiopians everywhere, from any restaurant or coffee shop or other businesses. And just generally around. I'm mainly in Moco, DC and PG and I would have guessed there's way more than 25k Ethiopians out of 2.6 million people in those 3 areas. According to Wikipedia, other sources estimate their total to be closer to a quarter million in the whole DMV which makes more sense. I wonder why there's such a difference between census and other estimates.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
Those numbers seem so small. I see Ethiopians everywhere, from any restaurant or coffee shop or other businesses. And just generally around. I'm mainly in Moco, DC and PG and I would have guessed there's way more than 25k Ethiopians out of 2.6 million people in those 3 areas. According to Wikipedia, other sources estimate their total to be closer to a quarter million in the whole DMV which makes more sense. I wonder why there's such a difference between census and other estimates.
250K would be about 1 in every 6 Black people in the DMV. That's way too high.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
I agree those totals seem low.

For 2017 alone I believe the area added another 3/4k Ethiopians alone. Hard to believe that the population would not be at least in the hundreds of thousands. The 2020 Census should iron this out.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
250K would be about 1 in every 6 Black people in the DMV. That's way too high.
I can assure you that in places like Silver Spring, at least 1 in 6 Black people are Ethiopian or Habesha decent. Problably like 1 in 4.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Little Ethiopia in LA is also not located in an “Ethiopian” community and neither is Little Italy in the Bronx located in an “Italian” comminity.. Little doesn’t have to be the whole area. It can literally be just the specific streets that Ethiopians own.

116th St in Harlem is called Little French African despite Harlem having much more African Americans. Just because one street is called Little Ethiopia doesn’t mean the whole community becomes “Little Ethiopia”.
116 st is not an official designation
Arthur Ave used to have a majority Italian population
I don't know anything about Little Ethiopia in LA but my point still stands. Why not have a Little African America?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I can assure you that in places like Silver Spring, at least 1 in 6 Black people are Ethiopian or Habesha decent. Problably like 1 in 4.
That may be true for Silver Spring. But there are only 20K Black people in SS, so even 1 in 4 of those being of Ethiopian/Eritrean only adds up to about 5,000 people. According to the ACS, Ethiopians make up about 20% of the Black population in SS, and about half of the area's African population.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I agree those totals seem low.

For 2017 alone I believe the area added another 3/4k Ethiopians alone. Hard to believe that the population would not be at least in the hundreds of thousands. The 2020 Census should iron this out.
No way it's in the hundreds of thousands. That's insane. That would mean that the foreign born estimates for the area are off by some ridiculous margin.

For perspective, there are only 290,120 Black people in Fairfax and MoCo combined. You think half of those are Ethiopian/Eritrean even after accounting for people of Nigerian, Jamaican, Ghanaian, descent? Not to mention all of the "regular" Black people who have their roots in the DC area going back generations or in the South generations beyond that.

Ethiopians make up a large percentage of the Black population in places that do not have large Black populations overall. So yeah, a Black person you see in Tyson's on a Saturday is more likely to be Ethiopian than a Black person you'd see at Largo Town Center, but the reality is that you're not going to see many Black people in NOVA at all (compared to the eastern half of the metro). Ethiopians tend to be concentrated in the places where Black people are more of a rarity, and as such, they stick out a lot more.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
the ethiopian community is spread out.......but theyre heavy in silver spring NoVA (alexandria lorton woodbridge springfield) and uptown DC used to have quite a few of them. one thing about ethnic communities esp black immigrant ones is that theyre not concentrared in just one area. they start off in one place then spread out as they get more anchored. its the same w the west africans (nigerians sierra leoneans ghanaians). they have a heavy presence in NoVA maryland (both PG and moco) and uptown DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: