Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

I only have one full day to spend in Wash DC with a 13-year old girl in tow. We’ll be staying at the Hotel Lombardy. Suggestions for sights to see or restaurants most appreciated.

Do you think the hop on trolley tours would make sense?

Thanks for any ideas. We’ll arrive mid-day before the one full day and will walk about that afternoon and have tickets (again, the day before our official sightseeing day) to The Holocaust Museum.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Wow, such a task. I used to go down to the mall when I was single about every other week end. I’d pick one section out of one museum, or one smaller destination (Library of Congress, Corcoran, etc.) and make it a day. The library of Congress has one of the most beautiful interiors of any of the buildings in DC.

I remember one of my uncles came to visit from Nebraska and wanted to see as much of the DC mall as possible. I still have memories of him literally running from place to place.

Depending on interests, Air and Space is usually high on most people’s list and is something not seen in most cities (compared to zoos, art galleries, etc.). The larger museums have cafeterias usually if you don't want to interrupt your visit too long just to grab a quick bite.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
If looking for a restaurant with good food that feels "DC-ish", check out the Hawk and Dove which is just east of the US Capitol/the Mall on Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Hawk 'n' Dove Restaurant and Bar | Washington, DC If you remember the fictitious Phil's on the TV show Murphy Brown, it was based upon this place.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I think a lot depends on how long you like to stay in certain places.

You could literally knock out the American History Museum, Natural History Museum & Air & Space Museum in a full day if you're not at each place more than 2 hours. And to be honest I think 2 hours is plenty of time. Some of the exhibits aren't even that interesting for some people.

I actually like DC Zoo a lot & it's free but it would probably be a 4-5 hour visit especially considering it's not right in the general area of DC.

If you like art you might like the National Art museum as well which is in the mall area. You could probably do that a long with the 3 previous museums.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:33 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I actually like DC Zoo a lot & it's free but it would probably be a 4-5 hour visit especially considering it's not right in the general area of DC.
You had some good suggestions but disagree with this. The National Zoo is located well within the city and a five minute walk from the Woodley Park Metro Station, that's a 12 minute ride from the Judiciary Square Metro Station just off the National Mall...both of which are on the Red Line. They could easily walk through and make the roundtrip within a three hour time window. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/visit

Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You had some good suggestions but disagree with this. The National Zoo is located well within the city and a five minute walk from the Woodley Park Metro Station, that's a 12 minute ride from the Judiciary Square Metro Station just off the National Mall...both of which are on the Red Line. They could easily walk through and make the roundtrip within a three hour time window. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/visit

I looked it up on the maps & you're correct about the timing. I remember going through the entrance right by the 7-11 so I remember the area now. I might have been thinking of another zoo that took a little bit longer to get to. I would just recommend knowing what time the metro was going to be at that station in case it only runs every 20 minutes or so. That way you don't just miss the metro and have to wait awhile.

If you got up at an early time you could knock out the zoo & be done and back to main mall area by noon which would easily allow you to hit up some of the main exhibits there (granted you only spent about 90-120 hours in them each.

I also heard the Spy Museum is really good but that apparently is not free.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 PM

76 posts, read 150,937 times
I'd walk from your hotel up to Dupont Circle, sit by the gorgeous fountain a moment, and there get the subway to Union Station, where you can get tickets to a tourist trolley. The trolley shows you a lot more of the city than you can possibly see on your own. It runs by the National Cathedral, which is quite beautiful.

I'd go to the National Gallery of Art because it's very beautiful, and you can see some famous paintings in person, but also in their basement they have a nice cafeteria and nice, clean restrooms which can provide a good resting spot. They also have the coolest and largest gift shop in town. And when you leave the building you're looking right at the Capitol building. I wouldn't waste my time going to the Air & Space Museum, which nobody seems to like when they go there.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:05 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
For a one day visit I'd hit up a couple museums on the Mall, go to the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial. The museums are cool but I wouldn't want to spend all day looking at artifacts. If you truly want to see the main monuments in DC you can stick around the Mall and Uber to the US Capitol area to see the Capitol, Library of Congress, and Supreme Court. I wouldn't even bother with the zoo. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the zoo. Plus, its way out of the way of downtown DC. Sure, you're only a handful of metro stops away from downtown but who wants to deal with the metro when you're a tourist here for a day? As far as restaurants go, I'd say Old Ebbitt is the one place you should try. It's right near the White House and tons of tourists and locals go there.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
For a one day visit I'd hit up a couple museums on the Mall, go to the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial. The museums are cool but I wouldn't want to spend all day looking at artifacts. If you truly want to see the main monuments in DC you can stick around the Mall and Uber to the US Capitol area to see the Capitol, Library of Congress, and Supreme Court. I wouldn't even bother with the zoo. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the zoo. Plus, its way out of the way of downtown DC. Sure, you're only a handful of metro stops away from downtown but who wants to deal with the metro when you're a tourist here for a day? As far as restaurants go, I'd say Old Ebbitt is the one place you should try. It's right near the White House and tons of tourists and locals go there.

Monument is great but just know you need a ticket in advance I believe and that's if they allow people up there. I know at one point it was off limits due to construction. But still cool to walk up to.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
I didn't mean going up into the Monument. Just simply being around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: