Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
SPeak for yourself. There are many people who are proud to call DC home and who would quickly boast about why they love the city. New transplants will not have the same nostalgia as those who have lived here before gentrification took over.

People exist who are actually proud of where they live even if it is Baltimore, MD. The whole DMV is a great location. No place is perfect. But each has its own character.

I just saw a documentary on DC's Disco Dan. The people in the documentary seemed pretty proud of living in DC.
????

I'm not even sure why you quoted my post because I never said anything about anyone not being proud to live in DC, when did I say that? Can you show me? I like DC, I've lived in DC proper too and I loved it, but I wouldn't say living in DC is way better than living in Nova and vice versa.

All I said was I don't know of anyone who brags about living in DC proper vs. NOVA and being like "HA I LIVE IN DC AND ID NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD LIVING IN ARLINGTON". I haven't seen that. I actually do know people who live in DC who have or want to move to the VA side due to space/pricing but still close enough to venture into the city. Arlington isn't some outlier exurban area. If you're working at Amazon, you're going to find what's affordable and what gives you the best commuting options, not "I gots to live in DC cause they got the museums and the bars".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
????

I'm not even sure why you quoted my post because I never said anything about anyone not being proud to live in DC, when did I say that? Can you show me? I like DC, I've lived in DC proper too and I loved it, but I wouldn't say living in DC is way better than living in Nova and vice versa.

All I said was I don't know of anyone who brags about living in DC proper vs. NOVA and being like "HA I LIVE IN DC AND ID NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD LIVING IN ARLINGTON". I haven't seen that. I actually do know people who live in DC who have or want to move to the VA side due to space/pricing but still close enough to venture into the city. Arlington isn't some outlier exurban area. If you're working at Amazon, you're going to find what's affordable and what gives you the best commuting options, not "I gots to live in DC cause they got the museums and the bars".
Agreed. As someone who has lived both in DC proper and North Arlington, they both have their own advantages/ disadvantages. From my experience the only people who have that 'DC is superior to NoVa and I'd never be caught dead there' attitude are people who have just moved to the city and have never lived in an another one or the lifers who have always had a complex about Virginia and Maryland to begin with. DC is great to be in your mid 20s- around 30 but it is simply not an option for people who have school age children unless you are willing to fork out money for private schools. Especially at the Middle and High School level. That could change in the future as the city continues to grow but is not the case right now. In addition, many of the single family home neighborhoods still have street parking and most of those areas (upper NW, etc) are just as far if not farther from downtown than any neighborhood in North Arlington. Some Amazon people will live in DC, many others will live in Arlington/ Alexandria and many others will live in Fairfax/ suburban Maryland, etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who brags about living in DC over the age of 25-30, to be honest. (or well, ever...) DC is pretty tiny compared to most cities and many people over the age of 30 want a house with land/space. DC doesn't provide that unless you want a rowhouse. That and to be totally honest, as someone who grew up here, DC is really nothing to brag about besides being overpriced and gentrified, perhaps. But I think it's a stretch to say that people who will be working at Amazon are going to only want to live in DC and not the surrounding Maryland/Virginia suburbs.
Question #1: Do you live in DC?
Question #2: Are you from DC? If not, where did you live before moving here?

People that live in DC proper do have an elitist attitude. When people live outside the city, it’s just different. I never hear anyone explain why they live in DC, but I always hear people explain why they live in the suburbs. DC is on a different level. I mean...it’s DC.

People move to the suburbs in every major city. People that desire more space and cheaper housing move out of Manhattan, DC, San Fran, and Boston everyday. It’s apart of being a world class city. All of them are very urban, dense, and vibrant. DC was not busy in the 1980s-2010, but has built so much now that there are buildings all over the city and people walking everywhere at all hours.

From someone like me, from here, that wants DC to keep growing till we get over 1 million people so we can truly become a dense city, I think it’s great.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-26-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM

126 posts, read 117,480 times
I have noticed that for whatever reason people who live in DC feel that they have more street cred then people who live in VA or MD.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I have noticed that for whatever reason people who live in DC feel that they have more street cred then people who live in VA or MD.
It's a mini wanna-be version of Manhattan versus the other boroughs or New Jersey which is completely illogical when many of the close-in DC 'suburbs' like Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and Silver Spring are just as dense if not moreseo than similar neighborhoods in the District proper- the same can't be said in the NYC example. DC is a great place to live, but certain groups of people there seem to have to go out of their way to prove how much better it is than every other local jurisdiction which to those of us who have lived in both is subjective at best.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-26-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
????

You could replace the word “DC” in your post with Manhattan, San Fran, or Boston and it would be true. They move to Connecticut, New Jersey, San Jose, or Boston suburbs. In DC, they move to VA and MD where you can get a yard, drive the van to soccer games, and park in your driveway.

A lot of people don’t have a desire to live in highrise housing, walk to restaurants, or have people walking around the neighborhood at all hours. I know a lot of people who hate that about cities. If that’s you, that’s ok. People all over the world agree with you. Me personally, I like city living.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
It's a mini wanna-be version of Manhattan versus the other boroughs or New Jersey which is completely illogical when many of the close-in DC 'suburbs' like Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and Silver Spring are just as dense if not moreseo than similar neighborhoods in the District proper- the same can't be said in the NYC example. DC is a great place to live, but certain groups of people there seem to have to go out of their way to prove how much better it is than every other local jurisdiction which to those of us who have lived in both is subjective at best.
Lolll......

CAPS ACS - MCDC

Using a 1-mile radius around the zip code 20009 is the densest in the entire NE outside of NYC. It’s denser than anywhere in Boston or Philly and close to San Francisco. DC is changing everyday and you sound like the someone who used to live in DC in the past. DC will pass 1 million people in the future and the DC you have experience with is going to seem slow and country compared to the DC that is forming.

When did you move out of DC?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 PM

'Lollllll' is always such a great response!

Using a one mile radius around one zip code (one of the most dense in DC) does not do any more to prove that the density of most DC neighborhoods is not much more than those of dense neighborhoods in North Arlington, Bethesda or Silver Spring.

Moved out about 2 years ago- hardly the 'DC in the past.' The city will probably continue to grow- hopefully in this process the DC government learns how to make the most basic services such as registering a car a much more efficient process. Hopefully they can bring in more Fortune 500 Companies as well- as of right now they have two out of 15 in the region. They seem to largely want to be in Virginia!

Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Question #1: Do you live in DC?
Question #2: Are you from DC? If not, where did you live before moving here?

People that live in DC proper do have an elitist attitude. When people live outside the city, it’s just different. I never hear anyone explain why they live in DC, but I always hear people explain why they live in the suburbs. DC is on a different level. I mean...it’s DC.

People move to the suburbs in every major city. People that desire more space and cheaper housing move out of Manhattan, DC, San Fran, and Boston everyday. It’s apart of being a world class city. All of them are very urban, dense, and vibrant. DC was not busy in the 1980s-2010, but has built so much now that there are buildings all over the city and people walking everywhere at all hours.

From someone like me, from here, that wants DC to keep growing till we get over 1 million people so we can truly become a dense city, I think it’s great.
I'm from here. I've lived in both DC and NOVA. DC was busy during those times, however, under a different crowd (black people, not gentrified), and things are being built up in DC to where they are safe and walk-able communities, which has made it much more pricier, however, is a good thing in the long run for DC to finally be able to compete with those elite cities you mention. You can always tell an out-of-towners who moved to DC for a govt contracting job and they do have this attitude of "VA? MD? yuck, that's the country where rednecks live", which I always kinda chuckle at. But I digress. However, unlike you MDallstar, I have heard people who live in DC constantly justify why they live there, and I know some who have told me how they want to move to NoVA for better schools, a house, etc. I haven't heard people justify why they live in NOVA over DC, though. Most people who live in NoVA are perfectly fine not living in the city and driving into it for work/entertainment.

However, you mention these other cities, but they are all much physically bigger than DC proper is. DC is a smaller city than all of those aforementioned cities, so while again, there's nothing wrong with living in DC, there also isn't much room and space compared to what the burbs offer. That's all I'm getting at. While city dwellers are great, there will also be others who will want a house with a yard and kids, which places like Arlington/Alexandria/Silver Spring etc offer.

If someone loves living in DC, great! DC is finally become a safer, world class city. I like the fact that this area has plenty of options to live, depending on your lifestyle.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 11-27-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
LOL! I've began to notice this lately, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC