Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Now, you’re making absolutely no sense at all. You’re complaining DC has become gentrified, yet you moved to VA? Black people that complain a neighborhood is losing its black majority move to other neighborhoods that have retained their black majority if that is “important” to you. So why didn’t you move to Ward 7, Ward 8, or Prince George’s County?

DC (61.05 sq. miles) is larger than Manhattan (22.83 sq. miles) and Paris (40.7 sq. miles). DC could fit another 1 million people on top of the 700,000 people living here without even raising height limits. Ward 5, 7, and 8 could accommodate most of that growth. Highrises across the city evenly distributed.

Culturally, unlike you, I still attend most of the local GoGo shows and cultural traditions I grew up around because they still are happening contrary to popular beliefs of those like you who moved here from out of town.

The fact that you’re talking about people in VA driving into the city is why they, along with you, should live in the suburbs. It’s going to get harder and harder to live in DC with a car as the years pass. If you want that lifestyle with space and cars and a slower daily life, the suburbs is great. Nothing wrong with that. I hope DC gets to 2-million people much less 1-million in its 61.05 sq. miles. I own my house so it will be great for me.
What I bolded was not even close to the point I was trying to make. I simply said DC (and the surrounding cities/suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria) used to have more of a black population/identity than now(i.e. the go-go scene, etc) and has since become gentrified since the 80s/90s. Moving to VA, DC, or MD has nothing to do with race at all and I wasn't even trying to make that point (considering, I am black myself ). Also, why do you think blacks have to be contained to Ward 7 or 8? Regardless, race has nothing to do with anything.

And yes, us "suburb" people have several options to get to DC, I metro into work daily downtown DC...a commute which takes me all of 20 mins. Likewise, someone living in Reston or Arlington can easily Metro into and out of DC without needing a car, as well. And vice versa, you can live in DC and still use a car to get to work. Or take the Metro. Like I said, we all have several options here, which makes the entire DMV area great. You keep trying to create this DC vs. suburbs argument that no one but yourself in this thread is trying to make.

You seem to structure your points as things being one way or the other, quite often on here. Not everything is binary when it comes to choosing DC or VA or MD.

Also, DC is ....much smaller than NYC (i wasn't just talking about Manhattan) 61.05 sq mi vs 302.643 sq mi. No one was talking about Paris

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 11-27-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
What I bolded was not even close to the point I was trying to make. I simply said DC (and the surrounding cities/suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria) used to have more of a black population/identity than now(i.e. the go-go scene, etc) and has since become gentrified since the 80s/90s. Moving to VA, DC, or MD has nothing to do with race at all and I wasn't even trying to make that point (considering, I am black myself ). Also, why do you think blacks have to be contained to Ward 7 or 8? Regardless, race has nothing to do with anything.

And yes, us "suburb" people have several options to get to DC, I metro into work daily downtown DC...a commute which takes me all of 20 mins. Likewise, someone living in Reston or Arlington can easily Metro into and out of DC without needing a car, as well. And vice versa, you can live in DC and still use a car to get to work. Or take the Metro. Like I said, we all have several options here, which makes the entire DMV area great. You keep trying to create this DC vs. suburbs argument that no one but yourself in this thread is trying to make.

You seem to structure your points as things being one way or the other, quite often on here. Not everything is binary when it comes to choosing DC or VA or MD.

Also, DC is ....much smaller than NYC (i wasn't just talking about Manhattan) 61.05 sq mi vs 302.643 sq mi. No one was talking about Paris
I believe all people have the right to move wherever they choose. If you feel like the urban core neighborhoods have become too expensive, which they have, you don’t have to leave the city. You could just move across the river which many black people have done. DC added over 14,000 additional black people from 2010-2016 contrary to popular belief. The media will have you believe that DC is losing black people, but that is not true. The racial percentage is changing because DC is booming and has added over 100,000 people of all races since 2010. That’s a good things and diversity is great for DC.

Brooklyn is a great example of what Ward 7 and Ward 8 could be in DC. As people are priced out of the urban core of DC, people have the option to move across the river just like they move from Manhattan across the river to Brooklyn. Development is finally moving in Ward 7 and Ward 8 and people are starting to do that which is why the 20019 zip code has been one of the hottest zip codes for real estate in the nation for a couple years now.

Anacostia has a Busboys & Poets along with a Starbucks opening. There are massive marketrate developments moving at Skyland and Parkside. Things are changing and people have options if they feel priced out without leaving DC.

You need to go back and read, I was only talking about Manhattan and I never referenced NYC. DC is larger than San Fran (46.89 sq. miles) and Boston (48.42 sq. miles).

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-27-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Get Area Population By Milage Squared

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Arlington’s densest areas can’t sniff DC’s densest areas.

All Arlington VA Zip Code Populations At 1-Mile Radius

22206: 37,379 people = 11,904 people per sq. mile
22203: 36,816 people
22204: 36,422 people
22209: 33,049 people
22205: 25,559 people
22211: 23,390 people
22202: 22,629 people
22207: 19,580 people
22213: 16,459 people

DC Top 9 Most Populated Zip Codes At 1-Mile Radius

20009: 98,836 people = 31,476 people per sq. mile
20010: 80,994 people
20036: 72,224 people
20001: 69,974 people
20005: 66,984 people
20002: 50,988 people
20011: 47,793 people
20003: 42,444 people
20006: 42,402 people

(Methodology - the tool measures the population using a 1-mile radius. The population should be divided by 3.14 sq. miles to get the population density.)
Just in case you missed this. I know you like to avoid facts like those I listed above.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 AM

409 posts, read 333,895 times
Quote:
I believe all people have the right to move wherever they choose. If you feel like the urban core neighborhoods have become too expensive, which they have, you don’t have to leave the city. You can just move across the river which many black people have done. DC added over 14,000 additional black people from 2010-2016 contrary to popular belief. The media will have you believe that DC is losing black people, but that is not true. The racial percentage is changing because DC is booming and has added over 100,000 people of all races since 2010. That’s a good things and diversity is great for DC.

Brooklyn is a great example of what Ward 7 and Ward 8 could be in DC. As people are priced out of the urban core of DC, people should move across the river just like they move from Manhattan to Brooklyn. Development is finally moving in Ward 7 and Ward 8 and people are starting to do that which is why the 20019 zip code has been one of the hottest zip codes for real estate in the nation for a couple years now.

Anacostia has a Busboys & Poets along with a Starbucks opening. There are massive marketrate developments moving at Skyland and Parkside. Things are changing and people have options if they feel priced out without leaving DC.

You need to go back and read, I was only talking about Manhattan and I never referenced NYC. I also listed Paris and you referred to the cities I listed saying they were larger.
I think the issue with the hoods out in EOTR is that they don't have many basic amenities (grocery stores, clinics, etc) one needs within a reasonable walking distance which further doesn't justify paying less for an apartment or a home out there compared to somewhere West of the River. So that's why most people who feel priced out of the core or other WOTR neighborhoods just move out of DC all together. But like you said, this may change in the near future with all of the new developments slated for that area.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I believe all people have the right to move wherever they choose. If you feel like the urban core neighborhoods have become too expensive, which they have, you don’t have to leave the city. You can just move across the river which many black people have done. DC added over 14,000 additional black people from 2010-2016 contrary to popular belief. The media will have you believe that DC is losing black people, but that is not true. The racial percentage is changing because DC is booming and has added over 100,000 people of all races since 2010. That’s a good things and diversity is great for DC.

Brooklyn is a great example of what Ward 7 and Ward 8 could be in DC. As people are priced out of the urban core of DC, people should move across the river just like they move from Manhattan to Brooklyn. Development is finally moving in Ward 7 and Ward 8 and people are starting to do that which is why the 20019 zip code has been one of the hottest zip codes for real estate in the nation for a couple years now.

You need to go back and read, I was only talking about Manhattan and I never referenced NYC. I also listed Paris and you referred to the cities I listed saying they were larger.
That's great, but my comments were referring to your post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/53735297-post23.html

DC was busy during the 80s-2010, when you said it wasn't, DC was never a sleepy town. And you mentioned that people who live in DC have an "elitist" attitude. During the 80s/90s, that wasn't really the case, DC had a more black population/influence back then than it does now and they didn't have that elitist attitude at all. That's something more recent that's been happening with the transient folks coming here. That's all I was getting at.

Diversity wise, to the point you're trying to make, I agree, more diversity is great in this area. I never was trying to dispute that.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
I think the issue with the hoods out in EOTR is that they don't have many basic amenities (grocery stores, clinics, etc) one needs within a reasonable walking distance which further doesn't justify paying less for an apartment or a home out there compared to somewhere West of the River. So that's why most people who feel priced out of the core or other WOTR neighborhoods just move out of DC all together. But like you said, this may change in the near future.
This is true and that is finally beginning to change. There was a time 20 years ago when Shaw and U Street also lacked basic amenities. Most people here have no idea what DC was like in the 1990’s when I grew up here. The 1930s-1950s U street and Shaw was a very different DC too which my family loved and thrived in. We went from grocery stores and booming commercial corridors to burned out corridors after the riots. We are just now getting to that bustling level over the last 10 years.

As the grocery stores, restaurants, and new housing gets built in Ward 7 and Ward 8, you will see the direction people move change. The same thing happened in Harlem. As people left in the 70s and 80s for the suburbs instead of Brooklyn until Brooklyn began to change.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-27-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That's great, but my comments were referring to your post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/53735297-post23.html

DC was busy during the 80s-2010, when you said it wasn't, DC was never a sleepy town. And you mentioned that people who live in DC have an "elitist" attitude. During the 80s/90s, that wasn't really the case, DC had a more black population/influence back then than it does now and they didn't have that elitist attitude at all. That's something more recent that's been happening with the transient folks coming here. That's all I was getting at.

Diversity wise, to the point you're trying to make, I agree, more diversity is great in this area. I never was trying to dispute that.
DC was not busy like it is now and it wasn’t close. My family has been here since the 1930s. We came here during the great migration. The DC of 2018 is on a completely different level than DC has ever been on. There are more highrises and people walking around then there has ever been. We have more restaurants and nightlife in more places than we have ever had. This is factual, not opinion. Even in the 1950s, the population of DC that hit over 800,000 people had a lot of kids which doesn’t help vibrancy.

Now, our 700,000 and growing population is mainly adults with the largest workforce in DC’s history. We average the most tourists in our history daily which creates a much more vibrant city compared to any other time in our history.

My comparison to Manhattan (22.83 sq. miles), San Fran (46.89 sq. miles), and Boston (48.42 sq. miles) was because DC (61.05 sq. miles) is physically larger than all three of them. You made the claim that they were larger than DC which is incorrect and not based on fact.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-27-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 01:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
I was referencing your post here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53716434-post9.html "Let's get real, many of the Amazon employees are going to choose to live in DC not in VA."

I don't really see choosing DC over Arlington or vice-versa being "more desirable", it will greatly depend on the commute and costs of housing/rent. The Clarendon corridor in Arlington already attracts that yuppie 22-27 year old base that Amazon is looking for, easily, while Pentagon City itself already has a high influx of 22-27 year olds and it's an easy Metro ride away. I can also see people choosing Navy Yard/Nationals Stadium area to move to since it's a few Metro stops away.

I think older families will still prefer the suburbs of MD/VA over DC due to space with kids and affordability. But people will mainly choose DC only if the commute to Amazon in Crystal City will be convenient, not living in DC just to live in DC cause its desirable.
People in Arlington tell themselves that.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
People in Arlington tell themselves that.
Good thing I don't live in Arlington

Old 11-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
(smacks face) .......????????????????? what are you going on about now!?

Yes, duh, of course DC grew from 2010 until now and of course the workforce, again, I never said it didn't . Literally, no one ever said DC hasn't grown since the 80s - today. You're the only one saying that.

And you're still on the size city comparison...I've moved on from that a few posts ago, dude... let it go and move on....

I see you like to be argumentative in nature with people (ie. your last sentence in your reply lol "I'm factual, you're wrong!") and making up arguments with yourself instead of just having a conversation, so have a good one! But try to take it down a notch or two when one is simply trying to have a conversation (and for the most part, agreeing) with you. You need to work on basic conversational skills, because you're not good at it.
My apologies.....

I was responding to this post regarding density in Arlington VA, Bethesda, Silver Spring etc. That’s really how this all started. People for some reason have been trying to compare living in DC to the suburbs which is crazy. That’s where this came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
'Lollllll' is always such a great response!

Using a one mile radius around one zip code (one of the most dense in DC) does not do any more to prove that the density of most DC neighborhoods is not much more than those of dense neighborhoods in North Arlington, Bethesda or Silver Spring.

Moved out about 2 years ago- hardly the 'DC in the past.' The city will probably continue to grow- hopefully in this process the DC government learns how to make the most basic services such as registering a car a much more efficient process. Hopefully they can bring in more Fortune 500 Companies as well- as of right now they have two out of 15 in the region. They seem to largely want to be in Virginia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC