U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:49 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,418,547 times

Advertisements

I live in the zip code you like and you don't need a car to get out to HQ2 in Crystal City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 PM

7 posts, read 1,281 times
No. We don't have a car but spend about $2,000 a month on Ubers. Instead of paying that in insurance and car note, plus parker, we spend probably a little less on a personal "chauffer." Honestly, though, not having a car sucks.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 9,707 times
Unless you're disabled or too old to drive, why would you live without a car? It was 15 degrees this morning and felt like -15 with the wind. You want to walk to the subway or bus stop and wait outside 20 minutes in this weather? The one or two times I use the bus and subway system it seems to takes over an hour to travel the distance it takes to drive in 20 minutes. And what if you wan't to go out of the area for the day, Annapolis, Frederick, Fredericksburg, the beaches or mountains? The AZ jobs are supposed to pay well so you shouldn't have to use public transportation.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 9,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAustinHigh View Post
No. We don't have a car but spend about $2,000 a month on Ubers. Instead of paying that in insurance and car note, plus parker, we spend probably a little less on a personal "chauffer." Honestly, though, not having a car sucks.
Holy crap. I've never used Uber but never imagined it costs that much. You could lease a brand new Mercedes for under $500, and I'm not talking the cheaper C class, add $100-200 for insurance, that again for gas and you're still less than half the cost of Uber. Just how much would parking cost?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:53 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,266,387 times
$2000 a month is crazy. My typical Uber trip is about $10-15. You could commute to work using Uber and spend half that much.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:47 PM

329 posts, read 113,196 times
Not necessarily. If I commuted to work by Uber it'd be about 65-70 a day, making it 325-350 a week or $1300-1400 a month. If I then took it to the store, entertainment venues and so forth I'd be adding a $200-300 a month to that. And my commute isn't extreme and that takes price protection you get as a Platinum member of Uber Rewards into account. Otherwise surge pricing could get you much worse prices (and rush hour is basically always surge pricing).

Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,819,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Not necessarily. If I commuted to work by Uber it'd be about 65-70 a day, making it 325-350 a week or $1300-1400 a month. If I then took it to the store, entertainment venues and so forth I'd be adding a $200-300 a month to that. And my commute isn't extreme and that takes price protection you get as a Platinum member of Uber Rewards into account. Otherwise surge pricing could get you much worse prices (and rush hour is basically always surge pricing).
Old Austin High has 7 posts which are some pretty random posts mostly in the Texas forums. I wouldn’t spend so much effort trying to make sense of their 2K per month claim.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
We are talking about living in the city, not in some god forsaken 'burb.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 PM

10,157 posts, read 5,594,823 times
Don't forget about ride share. It's the primary method of transportation for many who live in the District.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

3,284 posts, read 10,480,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Unless you're disabled or too old to drive, why would you live without a car? It was 15 degrees this morning and felt like -15 with the wind. You want to walk to the subway or bus stop and wait outside 20 minutes in this weather? The one or two times I use the bus and subway system it seems to takes over an hour to travel the distance it takes to drive in 20 minutes. And what if you wan't to go out of the area for the day, Annapolis, Frederick, Fredericksburg, the beaches or mountains? The AZ jobs are supposed to pay well so you shouldn't have to use public transportation.
Many people I know prefer to not drive, even if they have a car (my husband even insists on taking the Metro to work out in Tysons rather than drive). From the perspective of someone living in a dense area of DC, it's just a lot more convenient not having to worry about traffic or parking. If Metro's a mess then try a bus (more often than not there's a couple of lines to choose from, can't remember the last time I waited 20 minutes for a bus). If the traffic is bad (and therefore the bus is delayed), take the Metro. Or walk. In a real pinch you can get a cab or Uber/Lyft. None of those options are open to you if you're in a car, you're stuck. Not to mention the cost, unless you have private parking included it'll cost $150-300/mo to park a car, plus extra if you then drive to work and park there.

It is nicer to get into a warm, dry car when the weather's bad, I'll give you that. Although, it really wasn't bad this morning. I walked in to work like I normally do (~1 1/2 miles), as long as you dressed properly it was lovely out. If it were too cold then it's no big deal to walk the 4 blocks to the Metro or even call an Uber. You can rent a car if you want to go away for a day or weekend. It requires a bit more planning, but for a lot of people it's still worth it to not have to deal with the expense, maintenance, and hassle of a car. Even though we do actually have a car, until very recently we only used it once or twice a week. Before we lived together his car would sit parked and unused for weeks on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
The AZ jobs are supposed to pay well so you shouldn't have to use public transportation.
Amazon chose locations specifically because they were close to public transportation, that was one of their key requirements when choosing a location for HQ2. They see it as a benefit to their employees. Otherwise it would've made sense to get something cheaper further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC