U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 9,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorosdc View Post
None of those options are open to you if you're in a car, you're stuck. Not to mention the cost, unless you have private parking included it'll cost $150-300/mo to park a car, plus extra if you then drive to work and park there.
Don't zoning requirements say every house or apartment is required to have x number of parking spaces per unit? I wouldn't buy or rent a place that didn't have one unless street parking was readily available. And doesn't a round trip rush hour Metro cost nearly $10 now? Not much different than parking.

Quote:
It is nicer to get into a warm, dry car when the weather's bad, I'll give you that. Although, it really wasn't bad this morning. I walked in to work like I normally do (~1 1/2 miles), as long as you dressed properly it was lovely out.
If it wasn't bad, why were the schools closed? You must be from Minnesota.

Quote:
You can rent a car if you want to go away for a day or weekend. It requires a bit more planning, but for a lot of people it's still worth it to not have to deal with the expense, maintenance, and hassle of a car. Even though we do actually have a car, until very recently we only used it once or twice a week. Before we lived together his car would sit parked and unused for weeks on end.
For many people, a car is an extension of themselves and they like taking care of them. I don't care for housework, but don't mind cleaning my car or changing the oil. There comes a point where some expenses are part of enjoying life. You don't need a cellphone, or a computer, or many modern conveniences either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:29 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Don't zoning requirements say every house or apartment is required to have x number of parking spaces per unit? I wouldn't buy or rent a place that didn't have one unless street parking was readily available. And doesn't a round trip rush hour Metro cost nearly $10 now? Not much different than parking.

If it wasn't bad, why were the schools closed? You must be from Minnesota.

For many people, a car is an extension of themselves and they like taking care of them. I don't care for housework, but don't mind cleaning my car or changing the oil. There comes a point where some expenses are part of enjoying life. You don't need a cellphone, or a computer, or many modern conveniences either.
This is the difference between city dwellers and suburbanites. There really is a difference.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 PM

8,668 posts, read 10,503,295 times
Quote:
A. In DC and in a few parts of Alexandria, older housing was built before those requirements were in place
B. In DC, in much of Arlington and Alexandria, such parking requirements have been relaxed or are often waived for new developments. Precisely because the old requirements often meant more parking built than was needed
C. building owners often charge for the off street parking they provide, so while it may be available, you will pay for it.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Unless you're disabled or too old to drive, why would you live without a car? It was 15 degrees this morning and felt like -15 with the wind. You want to walk to the subway or bus stop and wait outside 20 minutes in this weather? The one or two times I use the bus and subway system it seems to takes over an hour to travel the distance it takes to drive in 20 minutes. And what if you wan't to go out of the area for the day, Annapolis, Frederick, Fredericksburg, the beaches or mountains? The AZ jobs are supposed to pay well so you shouldn't have to use public transportation.

We live in Alexandria, and have one car for two adults. I never drive into work in DC - I bike or take metro (more often I bike). Having one car IS handy for day trips and shopping and so forth. Because we have a car we don't do car share, and I have done Uber once in my life. If we were living in the denser part of DC though, we would probably go car-free and use car share, etc, instead when we really needed a car and avoid the hassle of owning one. I might even get a cargo bike.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This is the difference between city dwellers and suburbanites. There really is a difference.

See my above post. Many people in Alexandria, Arlington, Bethesda, for whom a car is far from central to their identity.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Unless you're disabled or too old to drive, why would you live without a car? It was 15 degrees this morning and felt like -15 with the wind. You want to walk to the subway or bus stop and wait outside 20 minutes in this weather? The one or two times I use the bus and subway system it seems to takes over an hour to travel the distance it takes to drive in 20 minutes. And what if you wan't to go out of the area for the day, Annapolis, Frederick, Fredericksburg, the beaches or mountains? The AZ jobs are supposed to pay well so you shouldn't have to use public transportation.
Have you ever actually driven in Crystal City at rush hour?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:35 PM

I think I rather spend an hour in traffic than stand 20 minutes at a bus stop when it's 20 degrees and windy and spend another 20 minutes on the bus, or 20 minutes on a Metro when it's packed like sardines plus another 20 minutes getting to and from the station. But that's just me. I'm not rich but prefer to spend money for a car over other inconvenient transportation options.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:36 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,266,387 times
Quote:
I think I rather spend an hour in traffic than stand 20 minutes at a bus stop when it's 20 degrees and windy and spend another 20 minutes on the bus, or 20 minutes on a Metro when it's packed like sardines plus another 20 minutes getting to and from the station. But that's just me. I'm not rich but prefer to spend money for a car over other inconvenient transportation options.
It is not just you. There are still people who don't embrace change and the convenience of car free city living. Your place is in the suburbs.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Or get a Smart car. You can park two in one regular size parking space.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We are all different. I dislike driving in rush hour traffic. I don't mind the outdoors and the cold (as I said, I bike commute most days, including in the winter - I will pass on 20 degrees with a strong wind - unless its a tailwind - but 25 degrees with no wind is no problem, and we don't get all that many super cold days here) I seldom find metrorail packed like sardines.

But you have your choice, you can drive if you prefer. But recall it was you who asked why anyone would choose not to drive.

(BTW, this morning's ride in was delightful, as was yesterday'r ride home - so sorry for the folks in their cars)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC