U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

437 posts, read 1,141,457 times
Default government pay scales - are there others besides the "GS" scales?

I have looked at a few federal government jobs and most have a pay scale of "GS" which is commonly available online. GS-9, GS-11, for example.

What is "OF?"

I've also seen jobs that say "OF-18" and stuff like that, they seem to mostly be jobs at the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) and many work onsite at Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Is this a scale unique to this particular agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM

3,209 posts, read 7,254,341 times
Some agencies are switching over to a different type of pay scale. I don't know how all of them work, but for the DoD you get classified in a certain type of profession and then based on that there are certain pay bands and levels that you can move around in. It's kind of confusing, and I'm not really sure how it all works, but the idea is to give greater flexibility in hiring and administering performance-based raises and such (i.e. be more like the private sector). I'd say your best bet would be to contact the HR at the agency you're interested in and ask.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 100,981 times
Default Opm

The Office of Personnel Management (US Office of Personnel Management) has a ton of information on federal pay scales. In fact, there's a "salaries" link right at the top of the page.

You might also want to do a google on "NSPS", which is a new pay program that was being put in place when I was RIFed from my Navy job in 2006.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,255,405 times
The "GS" General Schedule is the standard pay scale for non-executive federal civil employees. Certain agencies are allowed to opt of the GS system and choose a different system, which OFHEO has done. Some agencies opt out of the GS to implement a performance based pay system. Others opt out to create a pay system to pay their employees substantially more (i.e. FDIC or Federal Reserve) or substantially less (i.e. Asst. U.S. Attorneys). Some agencies create a special pay systems for employees with unique skills that are in high demand in the government (i.e. scientists).

The vast majority of the civil service jobs will use the GS system or an alternative system that is substantially similar.

Last edited by slim04; 04-08-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM

204 posts, read 598,922 times
I am a "WG," meaning, WAGE GRADE. I am a Civil Service employee. Wage Grades DO NOT get COLA (Cost Of Living) and DO NOT get the "annual" federal pay raises. So what's the plusses (GS vs. WG)? We get annual raises resulting from a local survey (in the fall) and step increases at scheduled times. Currently, I'm a WG-8, Step 3 in Anchorage, Alaska (FT. Richardson). My pay is $26.95 per hour. There are five "steps" (1-5) in the WG system. It takes six years to get from 1 to 5. From what I can determine, the GS's I know aren't making much (if any) more than me. WG's are "Blue Collar." I mean, crafts, trades, maintenance, etc. Be advised; a WG can convert to a GS job, and vice-versa, if qualified, and selected. Many folks overlook WG positions as a way to get their "foot" in the Gov't job arena. It's the best job I've ever had, and I absolutely love it.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 PM

9,798 posts, read 12,386,429 times
IMOGAJAD, How does the step system work? You stated that you are a WG-8 and also that their are only five "steps" (1-5) in the WG system. How do you get to WG-8 when they only have 1 - 5?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM

19,178 posts, read 18,931,372 times
There are 5 steps within each WG grade level. Each step has a higher salary than the one below it, usually by 3.0-4.0%. So-called in-step promotions (e.g., WG-8 Step-3 to WG-8 Step-4) are typically conditioned upon length of service in grade and at least Fully Satisfactory performance in every defined responsibility. If an employee were promoted instead to the next higher grade (e.g., WG-8 to WG-9), it would have to be to the lowest step within the new grade that had a higher salary than the old salary. For instance, a WG-8 Step-3 makes more money than a WG-9 Step-1. So a promotion from WG-8 Step-3 would be to at least a WG-9 Step-2. The same situation applies within the GS schedule, except that there are 10 steps with each grade. If you reach the final step in your grade, you are essentially "capped". You no longer have a way to get a raise except to earn a promotion to the next higher grade.

Last edited by saganista; 05-11-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 7,302,052 times
^ very nice explanation.

ALSO keep in mind when searching jobs with the payscale and steps involved that a job at a lower paygrade but high "step" can actually earn more than a higher payscale.

FOR example
a GS-8 base(step 1) is 37075
a GS-7 step 5 is 37941

2009 Salary Tables and Related Information

Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM

2,724 posts, read 5,043,004 times
Another pay scale in the federal government, which more accurately is a post-GS scale, is SES (Senior Executive Service). People in SES are above GS-15 (the highest GS scale). I believe there are 3 steps in SES.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 27,354 times
what is WG-ll equivalent to the GS schedule pay plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC