U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:34 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,263,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I doubt they were pulling my legs. They were really chill drivers. The conversation generally starts out when they reminisce on what certain parts of DC was like.

Some of their stories may have been exaggerated but I donít think they flat out just decided to misconstrue the areas. That or it never occurred to me someone would casually lie about something I donít care about. And FWIW, I donít think they meant modern day H Street or Eastern Market.
So back in the 80s cab drivers avoided bad sections of town? That's not what you said in your post, which I'll repeat is pure fiction. You're pretty naive to think cab drivers won't string you along just for fun.

Quote:
Uber drivers have told me they avoid NE and certain parts of SE. If they do drop off to those parts, they turn it off or something and try to go back to other areas. One was a former taxi cab driver who said he would not pick up anyone in those areas. They were all black drivers fwiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,311,518 times
Quote:
Used to be a taxi driver. One particular driver who mentioned not going to certain parts went as far back in his history as to somehow meeting a phone date woman (Iím only 26, so Iím not exactly sure the technical term used to describe the phone numbers you would call to talk to females), going into the hotel to hook up with her but he realized she was just there to lure him or something for other guys to rob him.

Look. My personal opinion is you wonít have a problem, but a couple drivers have brought it up before. I get German female drivers driving to make extra money for their parents to come down to meet the new grand child, Iraqiís who tell me way too much information about their family in Iraq. I get way too much personal odd information.

Not sure if youíre trying to ďdebunkĒ me or something, but itís true stories.

Do I think African Americans will have a hard time getting a taxi? No. But I have heard uber drivers, who also drove taxis and do lyft say they avoid areas. And itís always been in the context of ďYou live in SW? Itís crazy how much itís changed. What? Youíve only lived here less than a year? SW used to be ...... and this area was ..... and I used to not pick people up there because ......Ē ó itís always been in context of pretty much gentrification and how certain parts were rough.
Yeah I'm old enough to remember old DC....you might get shot if you drive through certain parts of town. It wasn't THAT long ago, like only in the early 2000's is when DC started to shift.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,062,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So back in the 80s cab drivers avoided bad sections of town? That's not what you said in your post, which I'll repeat is pure fiction. You're pretty naive to think cab drivers won't string you along just for fun.

I don’t think they meant modern day H street or Eastern Market as places that possibly a tiny few avoid in NE/SE* In the 80’s and as recently as 2000, yeah. The posts do not contradict one another.

I don’t think it’s fiction they avoid places whether out of convenience or out of not liking certain areas. Because that’s a very dumb thing to lie about. Of alllll things to lie about. Avoiding certain areas or dreading having to go to Dulles airport.... that’s what people choose to lie about?

If they were lying about NoMa being a terrible place not long ago and lying about how much certain areas of DC have changed, well. I guess they got me. Not sure what they point would’ve been but oh well. There’s worse ways someone can string me along I guess.

I think I’m being reasonable: Black people will not have a hard time getting a taxi. Some drivers have said they avoid or have avoided certain areas but I highly doubt people avoid African American riders.

You are having a massive meltdown as if I’m saying something so outrageous. It’s odd.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-24-2019 at 07:39 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 07:38 AM

You should continue to walk back your totally erroneous statements.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,818,588 times
Quote:
Uber drivers have told me they avoid NE and certain parts of SE. If they do drop off to those parts, they turn it off or something and try to go back to other areas. One was a former taxi cab driver who said he would not pick up anyone in those areas. They were all black drivers fwiw
In the pre-carsharing past, I've had issues with black taxi drivers picking me up at night, particularly recent immigrants from African countries (talk about self-hate) so this is not totally unbelievable. I will say that I feel no sympathy for folks like this when they complain about low pay, while they cherry-pick customers.

From my experience, the Uber/Lyft algorithm is good enough to find a willing driver in a relatively short amount of time throughout NE and SE.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 PM

330 posts, read 111,688 times
D.C. has gentrified but there's still plenty of ghetto areas in the city that people avoid if they can. It wouldn't shock me if cabbies and ridesharing app drivers try to minimize their presence in those areas..after all that's what everyone else is doing.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,062,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You should continue to walk back your totally erroneous statements.

Lol.

If it makes you feel better, itís all false. Itís not really false, but if thatís what you want to hear

But you think my stories from a couple of drivers avoiding certain areas is fake news? Makes me wonder if you think this is the fakest news ever:

Quote:

Metro Transit Police target Black youth for fare evasion, report says

ďThis is a hyper-policed environment where mainly poor Black and brown residents are targeted and overwhelmingly saddled with citations,Ē said Nassim Moshiree, policy director for the ACLU.

https://www.streetsensemedia.org/art.../#.XEyIXqRbqEc

Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Lol.

If it makes you feel better, itís all false. Itís not really false, but if thatís what you want to hear

But you think my stories from a couple of drivers avoiding certain areas is fake news? Makes me wonder if you think this is the fakest news ever:
What your comments raise is doubt that you actually live in the District or if you do, for how long.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,776,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
But Uber was founded in 2009 and as long as I've been in this area (since 2011), all of NE and SE haven't appeared dangerous enough that I would think Uber drivers would avoid the whole area, especially H St and Eastern Market.
Um, there's A LOT more to Southeast and Southwest, than H Street and Eastern Market.

Try, Congress Heights, Suitland, Deanwood, Kenilworth, Eastover, Washington Highlands. Cabbies know, these are very unprofitable destinations, as they suck as far as the chance of getting returning passengers after completing their drop-off.

Everyone from those areas, knows to make sure they sit down in the cab BEFORE telling the driver their destination. They know to tell the driver that the city law forbids refusal of service, and you won't get out. If you tell him your destination before getting in the cab, in most cases he will just shake his head and drive off.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,036,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Um, there's A LOT more to Southeast and Southwest, than H Street and Eastern Market.

Try, Congress Heights, Suitland, Deanwood, Kenilworth, Eastover, Washington Highlands. Cabbies know, these are very unprofitable destinations, as they suck as far as the chance of getting returning passengers after completing their drop-off.

Everyone from those areas, knows to make sure they sit down in the cab BEFORE telling the driver their destination. They know to tell the driver that the city law forbids refusal of service, and you won't get out. If you tell him your destination before getting in the cab, in most cases he will just shake his head and drive off.
Facts I'm from Deanwood/Kenilworth and taxi drivers as well as food delivery drivers hate coming to that part of NE because they get assaulted and robbed on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or